1. #1 DUmmie Facism is ALIVE!!!!! 
    LINKO

kpete (1000+ posts) Fri Jan-30-09 11:54 AM
    Original message
    Former USS Cole commander slams Obama on Guantanamo
    Advertisements [?]Source: McClatchy

Former USS Cole commander slams Obama on Guantanamo

By Carol Rosenberg | Miami Herald

The former commander of the USS Cole, the American war ship that was struck by a suicide boat in Yemeni waters more than eight years ago, on Thursday slammed President Barack Obama's orders to close the Guantanamo detention center and reassess the prisoners being held there.

''We shouldn't make policy decisions based on human rights and legal advocacy groups,'' retired U.S. Navy Cmdr. Kurt Lippold said in a telephone interview. "We should consider what is best for the American people, which is not to jeopardize those who are fighting the war on terror — or even more adversely impact the families who have already suffered loses as a result of the war."

Lippold was responding to the decision by a U.S. military judge in Guantanamo to reject a request by Pentagon lawyers to delay next week's scheduled arraignment of Abd el Rahim al Nashiri, a Saudi Arabian who's charged with helping orchestrate the October 2000 suicide bombing of the Cole. The bombing killed 17 U.S. sailors.

In his ruling, the judge, Army Col. James Pohl, said a delay in Nashiri's arraignment would deny the public's interest in a speedy trial. He also said nothing that took place at the arraignment would prevent the Obama administration from deciding to deal with Nashiri in a forum other than the military commission now set to hear his case.

Read more: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/homepage/story/61061.html
    bluestateguy (1000+ posts) Fri Jan-30-09 11:55 AM
    Response to Original message
    1. Criticism of the Commander in Chief provides direct aid and comfort to the enemy
    At least that's what we were told for the last 8 years.
    blueclown (518 posts) Fri Jan-30-09 11:57 AM
    3. Arrest him for treason.
    Howardx (1000+ posts) Fri Jan-30-09 12:03 PM
    5. does letting his ship be bombed
    make him a terrorism expert?
    atreides1 (1000+ posts) Fri Jan-30-09 12:03 PM
    6. That's why he retired as a Commander
    Edited on Fri Jan-30-09 12:26 PM by atreides1
    It's nice to know that the commander has little regard for human rights or justice.

And he thinks that it's in the best interest of the American people to piss on the Constitution, a document he swore to defend.

"Lippold's own pronouncements in the case were ironic. A Navy inquiry questioned whether Lippold had taken appropriate measures to prevent an attack on the vessel. No one was in the ship's command center when the suicide boat rammed into the Cole's side and no planning had been undertaken for such an eventuality. But Lippold was not disciplined."

Maybe those 17 families are just as disappointed that Lippold wasn't disciplined under the UCMJ, but he was disciplined.

Karenina (1000+ posts) Fri Jan-30-09 12:36 PM
    Response to Reply #15
    17. FIRE HIM IMMEDIATELY.

Royal Sloan 09 (93 posts) Fri Jan-30-09 12:08 PM
    8. Court-martial
    Can a Officer be charged with dissent or some other charges against following a lawful given orders from his CiC? Under the last resident of the white House it would have happened, so Obama can choose to play with the embedded military obstructionist or take them out of the service for their dissension.
    They are soooo damn rich, aren't they?
    BOWZER LIVES!!!

Sonnabend
    Karenina (1000+ posts) Fri Jan-30-09 12:36 PM
    Response to Reply #15
    17. FIRE HIM IMMEDIATELY.
    Fire him from retirement?

Royal Sloan 09 (93 posts) Fri Jan-30-09 12:08 PM
    8. Court-martial
    Can a Officer be charged with dissent or some other charges against following a lawful given orders from his CiC? Under the last resident of the white House it would have happened, so Obama can choose to play with the embedded military obstructionist or take them out of the service for their dissensio
    He's retired. He isnt in the service any more.

DUH

Sonnabend
    sailor65 Donating Member (719 posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Fri Jan-30-09 12:56 PM
    Response to Reply #6
    24. You should know better

Lippold was not disciplined for obvious reasons; the rules of engagement at the time forbade his crew from opening fire on the approaching boat, which is why standing rules were reviewed and altered as a result. 17 good sailors died because we didn't (And often still don't) allow our warship to act as a warship.

I expect the usual from the usual civilian idiots, but you should know better.
    OUCH. That HAD to hurt :D:D

Quote Originally Posted by atreides1
    And he thinks that it's in the best interest of the American people to piss on the Constitution, a document he swore to defend.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I was born in Canada after all, but all my schooling was in the U.S. Don't the rights granted in the U.S. Constituition apply only to U.S. citizens? I don't recall in social studies class reading anywhere that it applied to Muzzie terrorists.

Quote Originally Posted by YupItsMe View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I was born in Canada after all, but all my schooling was in the U.S. Don't the rights granted in the U.S. Constituition apply only to U.S. citizens? I don't recall in social studies class reading anywhere that it applied to Muzzie terrorists.
    The DUmmies slept during that part of Civics class.

Quote Originally Posted by MoshMasterD View Post
    LINKO

They are soooo damn rich, aren't they?
    They are cute. Makes one wonder what they'll be when they grow up?

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YupItsMe View Post
    Used to be. The liberal courts changed that.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.