Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Yee Haw! Ordered a cowboy rifle!! 

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
    The Taurus Thunderbolt™ will win you over while you're winning the competition. These pump action beauties are fast, accurate and authentic. With a beautiful Hardwood Stock and Forend, as well as a solid Metal Curved Crescent Butt Plate, the Thunderbolts each include a button-rifled barrel for improved accuracy, a traditional Buck Horn adjustable rear sight and an easy function feed gate.

SPECIFICATIONS
    Model: C357BR Construction: Steel Safety: Manual Safety,Manual Safety
    Caliber: .38/.357
    ForeArm: Wood
    Capacity: 14
    Front Sight: Fixed
    Barrel Length: 26"
    Rear Sight: Adjustable
    Action: PUMP
    Trigger Type: Smooth
    Finish: Blue Steel Overall Length: 43"
    Stock: Hand Fitted
    Rate of Twist: 16.5"
    MSRP: $705.00
    Weight: 130 oz
    Grooves: 6
    $552 from Budsgunshop.com

WAY less expensive than the Uberti or Beretta Colt Lightning clones with a 15 round capacity to boot! Plus the design is the same as the original Colt so it will slam fire everytime you rack that slide back while holding the trigger.

Frabjous Day!

Quote Originally Posted by asdf2231 View Post

$552 from Budsgunshop.com

WAY less expensive than the Uberti or Beretta Colt Lightning clones with a 15 round capacity to boot! Plus the design is the same as the original Colt so it will slam fire everytime you rack that slide back while holding the trigger.

Frabjous Day!
    I picked up a cowboy hand gun a few months back. It's a replica of the 1873 Colt 45 Cattleman by Uberti

I think I paid around $450. I also got a Winchester Model 94 30-30 at a gun show this month. I really like the lever action. Makes me think of that old TV show 'The Rifleman'.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Congratulations!

Here's mine...

1895G in 45-70
    :D
    Secular militants, not Christian conservatives, currently strive to transform America in a way our founders would neither recognize nor approve.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Congrats ASDF! That looks like it'll be a fun gun to shoot!

And with .357 mag rounds it should be a greyt Zombie weapon! :D
    May the FORCE be with you!

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    I own two modern Taurus handguns and have fired over a thousand rounds through them. Good quality and they both shoot great. One is a 357 mag that looks like and shoots a model 19 Smith and the other is a snub nosed .44 Special.

I fully expect the Taurus rifle to be as good as these handguns. I've never fired a pump rifle but it looks like it would be fun.

congrats!!!
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by Spâtha View Post
    Congratulations!

Here's mine...

1895G in 45-70
    :D
    I had a 45-70 built from a mauser action that was a great gun. I handloaded for it and it was really a powerhouse. I love the marlin lever action.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Congrats ASDF! That looks like it'll be a fun gun to shoot!

And with .357 mag rounds it should be a greyt Zombie weapon! :D
    I have NO idea what you're talking about.

;)

It's a companion piece for my S&W 686.

Nice thing is that it will digest the .38 special as well as the magnums.

FINALLY!!!!!

Picked it up downtown today.

REALLY slick action.

The only complaints that I have are that the weapon has no slide or bolt release to allow you to safely cycle the rounds out. You either empty it the old fasioned "Pew pew pew" way OR you very carefully ride the hammer all the way down to the bolt and firing pin which releases the slide and seems like a perfect way to get into an "Oh shit look what happened to the cat" moment.

And the finish is a dense brown that looks like a hershy bar. I may strip that and go with a cherry or oak finish.

Other than that it is aces!

Barrell is a lot longer than I imagined. I think this thing is going to pull some absolutely smoking velocity out of my .357 JSP's!

I dug out some snap caps and fiddled a bit. This thing will never be a speed loader. The workings are a little cramped and the .357/.38 round is a little too slim to get a good "Cram" on comfortably. It will improve with practice, but the .45 long colt would load easier due to those fat .45 rounds having some good girth to them.

It does however eject the rounds with some real freaking authority! :eek: I mean they go FLYING when the ejector pulls them.

The buckhorn sight on the rear seems maybe a tad shallow too, have to see when I get it on the range.
    I might wind up having it replaced if I can find a suitable match for elevation.

It looks and feels absolutely old school bad ass! :D

Okay I can see why they discontinued the .357/.38 version. This thing loads HARD with the smaller cartridges. The magazine spring will loosen up as I use it but I could not get more than 12 loaded and there is a do or die sweet spot involved in feeding the shells. In .45 long Colt this would not have been half as hard.

Being as it's a Lightning repro it's got some definite eccentricities in the loading process. I had one feeding failure which was stupid user error. It cleared as soon as I unjugged my head and pulled the slide back the last fraction of an inch to let the shell rim clear the feed ramp.

Within it's limitations this is a fantastic weapon! The steel on the barrel is monsterously thick and the breech seems to seal tight enough that you could probably hand load as hot as you wanted and not worry about the rifle. It handled 125 gr .357 jhp, Blazer aluminam cased 158 gr jhp's and some .38 special lead semi wad cutter reloads from the range.

In this caliber for a brush gun or even out to a couple hundred yards it is going to be a fine White Tail tool.
    In the Long Colt caliber it would be an incredably handy all arounder.

I function tested it at 30 feet and the rest were at 50 and 60.