Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 104
  1. #91  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythic View Post
    Currently there can be no punishment because abortion is legal. But if it were made illegal I do not see why the death penalty would be the option to chose. The mother did not want to kill the child out of a desire to accumulate wealth or out of anger or because she hated it...it would have been more likely that she had been raped or that she simply could not take care of a child and did not want to use the adoption option. Obviously the small amount of women who would go into an alley and get an illegal abortion would be smaller than those getting it legally today. The mother may fear giving birth. Death should not be punishment, that is far to extreme. I would say that a month in prison would suffice. Or maybe 9 months considering that is the amount of time the woman would have been pregnant. She killed the baby so instead she gets jailtime. Baby or jail? For those giving the abortions, a harsher punishment is fit. They just want the money. They provide the illegal service. The illegal abortion doctor would also be the one killing the child, not the mother (but the mother has equal blame because of her action to go to the doctor in the first place). I longer jail sentence and a fine should be given to illegal abortion doctors. Thats what I have to say for punishment.
    There's reason to think making abortion illegal will not do much to reduce the amount of abortions obtained.

    Abortion is just as common, or more-so in countries where it is illegal.

    This is the "if you build it, he will come" mentality of pro-lifers. Change the law, God will be happy, good things will happen... don't worry about how, don't bother to study or research to find out if the change will have the desired effect. Just build it, and he will come!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #92  
    Member snuglet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post

    So we've established that DNA doesn't provide value in and of itself. So can we shelve the whole DNA thing, once and for all?

    You say the first instant DNA is created is simply the starting line where some value comes into being.. but its not actually the DNA that provides it... I say its when the project is a little more complete and the brain begins in its first stirrings of thought. Make arguments for those values, and your reasonings for why those things are valuble... (and you have to some extent, sort of)

    But in any case... lets start saying what we mean... instead of serving up rhetorical smokescreens like "Its got DNA!"
    DNA absolutely provides value. It's the blueprint for how you develop. It's what makes us human and not trees or fish. A fetus at 8 weeks has all the organs a newborn baby has, with exception of level of development, and brainwaves have been recorded as early as 40 days' gestation. Most women don't even know they're pregnant by then. The growing embryo/fetus is a child, with a complete life of its own.

    By your reasoning, perhaps we should also go ahead an kill those disabled people who have questionable though capacity as well?
    "Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! "

    - Patrick Henry
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #93  
    Member snuglet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    There's reason to think making abortion illegal will not do much to reduce the amount of abortions obtained.
    Perhaps not, but the same argument could be said for the illegal act of murder as well. It's ILLEGAL, but that hasn't stopped it from happening, in large numbers, all over the world.

    Abortion is just as common, or more-so in countries where it is illegal.
    Which attests to how sick our world has become

    This is the "if you build it, he will come" mentality of pro-lifers. Change the law, God will be happy, good things will happen... don't worry about how, don't bother to study or research to find out if the change will have the desired effect. Just build it, and he will come!
    God is already here. And He's laid the law down about murder for thousands of years.

    Man's selfishness now decides to define "murder" so the conscience will feel better, but it doesn't change the ultimate fact that abortion is killing of innocent human life (aka murder).
    "Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! "

    - Patrick Henry
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #94  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,852
    I've really addressed everything you have said about 50 times over by now... so I'm tired of repeating myself... but..

    Which attests to how sick our world has become
    When exactly was man or the world better or more civilized than it is today?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #95  
    Member snuglet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    I've really addressed everything you have said about 50 times over by now... so I'm tired of repeating myself... but..



    When exactly was man or the world better or more civilized than it is today?
    Eden.
    "Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! "

    - Patrick Henry
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #96  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,361
    Quote Originally Posted by snuglet View Post
    Eden.
    Smaller population, and they still screwed it up.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #97  
    Member snuglet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Smaller population, and they still screwed it up.
    Not if you don't believe in God.
    "Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! "

    - Patrick Henry
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #98  
    Senior Member Mythic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    352
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur
    Abortion is just as common, or more-so in countries where it is illegal.
    The countries where abortion is illegal are primarily located in Africa, South America, and South Asia. These countries are already poor, and laws of all types are broken much more frequently. Those countries do not have developed adoption centers. They do not have all of the options we in the United States take for granted. We cannot compare the effects of laws on developing countries with the United States. The situations are totally different.

    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur
    This is the "if you build it, he will come" mentality of pro-lifers. Change the law, God will be happy, good things will happen... don't worry about how, don't bother to study or research to find out if the change will have the desired effect. Just build it, and he will come!
    I never brought God into my argument at all...but go ahead and make stuff up again. I have done plenty of research.
    Do you honestly believe that if abortion is made illegal and all clinics are closed there will be more abortions?
    If abortion is made illegal and the government supports safer sex programs warning of the consequences of sex, people will think twice before having sex knowing that abortion is not a legal option. It is not logical to say that "Oh, abortion is illegal! I should have sex more and get more abortions!"
    "Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives."
    -Ronald Reagan

    Life is a story; if you stay on the same page forever you will never finish it.
    "There are days you are the pigeon and days you are the statue."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #99  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythic View Post
    The countries where abortion is illegal are primarily located in Africa, South America, and South Asia. These countries are already poor, and laws of all types are broken much more frequently. Those countries do not have developed adoption centers. They do not have all of the options we in the United States take for granted. We cannot compare the effects of laws on developing countries with the United States. The situations are totally different.


    I never brought God into my argument at all...but go ahead and make stuff up again. I have done plenty of research.
    Do you honestly believe that if abortion is made illegal and all clinics are closed there will be more abortions?
    If abortion is made illegal and the government supports safer sex programs warning of the consequences of sex, people will think twice before having sex knowing that abortion is not a legal option. It is not logical to say that "Oh, abortion is illegal! I should have sex more and get more abortions!"
    Laws simply don't deter some things effectively, is all. Especially when over half the country is sympathetic to the idea or act in question.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #100  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,852
    Quote Originally Posted by snuglet View Post
    Eden.
    <facepalm>
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •