Ten crazy German rules
Germans rarely find a rule they don't want to embrace. There is a saying in the country: "Everything is forbidden; apart from that, do what you like". Here are some of the more quirky Teutonic laws:It is against the law to deny a chimney sweep access to your home if he demands it
1) It is illegal to build an office without a view of the sky.
2) It is an offence punishable with a fine and points on your licence to run out of petrol on a motorway.
3) A "quiet time" is observed between noon and 3pm when it is forbidden to mow the lawn, wash cars, play loud music or hammer nails.
4) It is forbidden to hand washing out on Sunday.
5) A pillow is classified as a "passive weapon" and hitting someone with one can lead to charges of assault.
6) It is illegal to wear a mask while on strike.
7) It is illegal to tune pianos at midnight.
8) You can be fined 20 euros for calling someone an "arse" but 5,000 euros for calling an official a "little Hitler".
9) It is against the law to deny a chimney sweep access to your home if he demands it.
10) It is illegal to have the ashes of your loved one stored in an urn at home after cremation.