Journalist Accused Of Committing The Murders He Covered Commits Suicide

Authorities say Taneski apparently drowned himself in a bucket of water after being placed in a jail cell.

Everyone was amazed at the incredible coverage journalist Vlado Taneski was giving to a series of brutal murders in Macedonia.

His articles were amazingly detailed and many were following the cases of three murdered women and another missing female with rabid interest, hoping to read that cops had captured a killer.

And now authorities say they have. It's the same man who was writing so ably about the case all these years. But Taneski will never stand trial for the brutal crimes. He was discovered dead in his cell late Sunday.

The 56-year-old had been arrested and charged in two of the brutal crimes on Friday, after articles he wrote for his paper contained details only the killer could know.

Since then, tests have shown that Taneski's DNA has been found on the bodies of the two victims he's accused of murdering.

They were hoping to talk to him about the third body and the other missing woman.

The known victims were all elderly domestics who worked in Taneski's home town of Kicevo, about 120 kilometres from the capital of Skopje.
Their bodies were found naked and stuffed in nylon bags in several locations. Evidence showed they'd been sexually and physically abused before being strangled and wrapped with phone cables.

snip
Cops note all the women bore a strong resemblance to Taneski's late mother, with whom he didn't get along.

"All victims were elderly females with poor education who had worked as cleaners. They all were from the same neighbourhood of Kicevo," Kotevski concludes.

The case has been unfolding with no resolution since the first woman's disappearance in 2003. The three known victims died in 2005, 2007 and 2008.

Their families are breathing a sigh of relief that a suspect was taken into custody but are outraged that the man charged actually talked with them for one of his articles.

snip
The sister of another victim still can't believe the solution was allegedly so close to home. "I'm very surprised with this outcome," Cvetanka Licoska notes angrily. "He came to me and asked for some details for my sister. He came here and asked for my sister's photo."

It's not clear now if the cases will ever be officially solved or the relatives of the victims will get the answers they so desperately wanted.

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_24087.aspx