Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Half Of Britons Do Not Believe In Evolution 
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...ey-creationism

The poll found that 25% of Britons believe Charles Darwin's theory of evolution is "definitely true", with another quarter saying it is "probably true". Half of the 2,060 people questioned were either strongly opposed to the theory or confused about it.

The Rescuing Darwin survey, published to coincide with the 200th anniversary of Darwin's birth and the 150th anniversary of the publication of On the Origin of *Species, found that around 10% of people chose young Earth creationism – the belief that God created the world some time in the last 10,000 years – over evolution.

About 12% preferred intelligent design, the idea that evolution alone is not enough to explain the structures of living organisms. The remainder were unsure, often mixing evolution, intelligent design and creationism together. The survey was conducted by the polling agency ComRes on behalf of the Theos thinktank.

That will be the Karen Matthews half of the country, I guess. They only don't "believe" it because they don't know anything about it, since they're too busy watching Big Brother on their 50" HDTVs.

Nothing wrong with not believing in it because of a reason, it's a pretty complex issue for someone to just say "Yeah I believe in it" or "No I don't." Should give them a little credit.

Variety is the spice of life. :p

Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post
    Nothing wrong with not believing in it because of a reason, it's a pretty complex issue for someone to just say "Yeah I believe in it" or "No I don't." Should give them a little credit.

Variety is the spice of life. :p
    True, but what I'm saying is a lot of these people are too dumbed down to even bother "finking" about it. So long as they get their modern day panem et circenses, they'll be too cornfed brain lazy to give a shit.

Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    True, but what I'm saying is a lot of these people are too dumbed down to even bother "finking" about it. So long as they get their modern day panem et circenses, they'll be too cornfed brain lazy to give a shit.
    Probably, but thats not just a problem with Britain, a lot of the western world has it's finger up it's ass. At least it's progress on a century ago, everyone was a dumbass then. ;)

Banned
    Wonder if all the diffusion of Islam into Britain has played a part.... evolution certainly isnt popular with them. Other studies have shown their (the brits) acceptance of evolution to be quite high:

Last edited by wilbur; 02-01-2009 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    Wonder if all the diffusion of Islam into Britain has played a part.... evolution certainly isnt popular with them. Other studies have shown their acceptance of evolution to be quite high:

Wouldn't mind a link to that graphic, Wilbur.

I will be surprised (and a bit disappointed, too) if the non-acceptance of evolutionary theory is really as high in the UK as the graphic would suggest.

Phew ... thought it might be so:

This chart depicts the public acceptance of evolution theory in 34 countries in 2005. Adults were asked to respond to the statement: "Human beings, as we know them, developed from earlier species of animals." The percentage of respondents who believed this to be true is marked in blue; those who believed it to be false, in red; and those who were not sure, in yellow.

I would love to see how the questions are worded. Surveys or sometimes skewed to give favorable results to one side or the other based on who is sponsoring the survey and their agenda.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis