1. #1 Phelps Calls Photo of Him Smoking Marijuana 'Regrettable' 
    Phelps Calls Photo of Him Smoking Marijuana 'Regrettable'

TAMPA, Fla. Olympic great Michael Phelps has acknowledged "regrettable" behavior and "bad judgment" after a photo in a British newspaper showed him smoking marijuana.

In a statement released to The Associated Press, the swimmer who won a record eight gold medals at the Beijing Games conceded the authenticity of the exclusive picture published Sunday by the tabloid News of the World.

Phelps said: "I engaged in behavior which was regrettable and demonstrated bad judgment. I'm 23 years old and despite the successes I've had in the pool, I acted in a youthful and inappropriate way, not in a manner people have come to expect from me. For this, I am sorry. I promise my fans and the public it will not happen again."

Link
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

meh.. I say that he needs to be cut a break. It was stupid on his part, especially stupid to be doing it where someone could take a pic, but it still does not effect his athletic performance.

My son plays in a D1 college sport, and they get randomly tested. He has been tested twice, and passed, thank goodness. The athletes who fail in the pot testing.. they get warned, and as far as I know, they are specifically tested in the future. No more warnings.

I hope Phelps doesnt lose his future over this. College athletes his own age get second chances.

I'm somewhat surprised. This man seems to have had a big ego following his winnings. The tabloids have been filled with pics of him at clubs, drinking, and girls (the slutty type) hanging onto him. I think it's ashame that he is pissing his life away. I wish he'd just keep training for 2012. Also, why does it say Tampa...I checked and this occurred at the U. South Carolina.
    "Because we're a great nation, our challenges seem complex; it will always be this way. But as long as we remember our first principals and believe in ourselves, the future will always be ours." -Reagan

I don't think the guy is really sorry...just sorry he got caught. He's a role model for a lot of kids so he should know better. If he's gonna smoke some ganja, he should do at home or where there are no cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by cat714 View Post
    I don't think the guy is really sorry...just sorry he got caught. He's a role model for a lot of kids so he should know better. If he's gonna smoke some ganja, he should do at home or where there are no cameras.
    That's the thing - we should not be holding up athletes as roll models. Great they can play a GAME well. What the hell about that deserves hero status???
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.