Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Is This What Our America Has Come To ? Dumpster Dining ? 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    For anyone who is hungry or eating poorly, I have a secret to share. (Hussein's America)

A Shout Out To Eating Garbage: Dumpster Diving on CBC
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_L61...er_diving.html

Here is some advice for those who are hungry:
    http://www.larynandjanel.com/blog/a_...er_diving.html

My partner and I don't have enough money to eat well and neither do our friends. But we have a little secret I'd like to share with you--on one condition--you have to share the food you find with others and also use good judgment. This works best if you live in a suburb or a small city. (Those in NYC and LA might want to ignore this advice.) I live in a city of about a million people.

Find the area-wide warehouse distribution center for any of the national upscale grocery stores in your region. (I'd rather not name names, but I think you can figure out which ones I'm talking about). There will be an area where trucks are loading massive amounts of new food into the warehouse. Because these stores cater to upscale clientele, they will throw out pallets of food if some items have superficial packaging imperfections (i.e. dented but intact hard plastic, etc.) Because sales are low, they are also throwing out food that is 'less new' but perfectly edible. For example: if new produce arrives, unsold produce will be discarded en masse, even if it will stay good for another 10 days.)

Over the past few months, we have found boxes of whole wheat pizzas, boxes filled with organic frozen dinners (we took about 6 boxes containing 200+ dinners, left the rest), bananas, about 300 pounds of soy nuts, enough baby organic spinach to feed hundreds of people, cookie dough, dips and sauces of all sorts (hundreds of containers), hundreds of boxes filled with organic yogurt, expensive sparking water, pounds of nuts, organic baby mixed greens, etc. We feed many families with what we find.

Here are some tips:

1) Go after 10pm and before 3am.

2) Don't go to STORES themselves, they tend to throw garbage on top of their dumpsters and may even throw poisons on top to keep animals away. You're only likely to find a few busted yogurts with paper and coffee grinds thrown on top of them. Only hit the distribution centers.

3) You will be more successful at high-end stores with a picky clientele. At the regular store they can sell foods in dented packages at a discount. They won't do that at stores that have the aura of health and purity.

4) Use good judgment when dealing with unpackaged and unboxed food. Most of what I find is double and triple boxed food (food in plastic, in a box, in a larger box, inside a huge box all still sealed).

5) Use good judgment in dealing with expired foods. If it is straight out of deep freeze, we've found the "best if used by" dates to be pretty irrelevant. My entire community of friends has eaten on frozen food even 2 months past the "best if used by" date. If the crates of food are still hard-frozen, you're very likely to be AOK. Open one item and do a smell test. Throw away anything that doesn't pass your muster. Use common sense.

6) Always read up on massive recalls of a type of food. If the gov't is saying some tomatoes have salmonella, you might want to think twice about tomatoes.

7) Be careful with children, the elderly, and the immuno-compromised. Have the healthy people eat first as a precaution.

8) Wear comfortable shoes, protective clothing and bring a flashlight.

9) Be aware that your attempt to feed yourself may be trespassing or even illegal. Or it may not be a big deal. Our theory is that upscale 'holistic' stores are less likely to be brutal to foragers because it wouldn't be good advertising to refuse poor people your garbage (or advertise how much they waste.)

10) I'm personally most suspicious of dairy items. Toss anything that doesn't taste PERFECT. But don't worry, you'll find a hell of a lot of perfect tasting food.

11. Share.

If you're germ-o-phobic think of it this way: people touch your prepared foods at restaurants all the time.

Good luck. Please kick this if you think it will help someone.
    Last edited by megimoo; 02-01-2009 at 09:18 PM.

Thats pretty gross, but I have seen that same post on DU. They know the intracasies of DUmpster diving! lol

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    Thats pretty gross, but I have seen that same post on DU. They know the intracasies of DUmpster diving! lol
    There are a lot of people going hungry in America today .People who have fallen 'over the edge of society', not lazy welfare sucking bums but honest hard working people who have lost their jobs and homes .They don't know the 'ropes' of getting help or in some cases are still too proud to ask so they live day to day on what ever they can earn .

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    There are a lot of people going hungry in America today .People who have fallen 'over the edge of society', not lazy welfare sucking bums but honest hard working people who have lost their jobs and homes .They don't know the 'ropes' of getting help or in some cases are still too proud to ask so they live day to day on what ever they can earn .

C'mon Megi, DUmpster diving is never the way. We may not know the welfare "ropes" like DUmmies do but if I ever was in that position I think I could find other ways.

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

As a kid, my family went to our local grocery store and "dumpster dived" many years ago. I thought we were doing it because we were frugal, and it was fun to find something for nothing. As it turns out.. many years later, I find out we were doing it because we needed to.

Our local grocery store tossed produce that was marginal. We picked up cases of lettuce, tomatoes, apples, etc. We just cut out the bad spots. It was good eatin', and I would do it again today if I knew that a grocery store was tossing goodies... when they were tossing them, and when a good time to pick them up was.

Overripe bananas make the BEST smoothies. I always buy the bargain ones, and freeze them. I betcha they are tossed all the time.

there is no excuse for ANYONE going hungry in America. There are plenty of ways to get food from government hand outs to food banks to soup kitchens.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Banned
    A couple of months ago I saw a homeless man sitting near a dumpster at KFC. I drove by him and it dawned on me that he was waiting for the next batch of garbage to be thrown out. I turned my car around and gave him some money and told him to get some fresh chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    A couple of months ago I saw a homeless man sitting near a dumpster at KFC. I drove by him and it dawned on me that he was waiting for the next batch of garbage to be thrown out. I turned my car around and gave him some money and told him to get some fresh chicken.
    That was very nice of you!

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    I work with several organizations that provide food and meals to those less fortunate. If someone is hungry they can find a free meal with not too much difficulty. In America the hunger problem isn't nearly the issue it is in the developing countries. I'm not saying that there is no problem in the US, but there is a huge infrastructure to feed people who need food. Some is faith based and some is secular based but most are both working hand in hand to address the need.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    there is no excuse for ANYONE going hungry in America. There are plenty of ways to get food from government hand outs to food banks to soup kitchens.

I could see in rural areas, if people don't have any kind of transportation available, how it could happen. In a big city, though, with soup kitchens and churches that give away food, there is no reason for anyone to go hungry.