Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I could see in rural areas, if people don't have any kind of transportation available, how it could happen. In a big city, though, with soup kitchens and churches that give away food, there is no reason for anyone to go hungry.
    Some of the kitchens are running short on donations this time.Those who donated food in the past are starting to feel the 'pain' and are stocking up on food for their own 'hard times'.There are so many new people 'on the streets' it's starting to get frightening.These new people are all hardworking GOD fearing working class who have been 'laid off'' through no fault of their own but because of the economy .

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Some of the kitchens are running short on donations this time.Those who donated food in the past are starting to feel the 'pain' and are stocking up on food for their own 'hard times'.There are so many new people 'on the streets' it's starting to get frightening.These new people are all hardworking GOD fearing working class who have been 'laid off'' through no fault of their own but because of the economy .
    I worked at a local food pantry last weekend, and they weren't low on food yet, but that is because they still have some left over from holiday donations. However, they said that they've gone from helping 300 families a day to 500. They've also had a lot of first time visitors, mostly people who have recently lost jobs, or who are having other problems, and who are hoping to avoid needing government aid, or long term assistance.

If you guys can donate a little extra food, this time of year is often really tight for food pantries. A lot of people donate food around the holidays, and not much at the beginning of the year, but people need food all year long.

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Rose View Post
    If you guys can donate a little extra food, this time of year is often really tight for food pantries. A lot of people donate food around the holidays, and not much at the beginning of the year, but people need food all year long.
    Out here it's common to see businesses that will knock a buck or two off your bill if you donate a non-perishable item to them. This is a year round effort.

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post

My church has started having more of the canned good collections, more than just twice a year. It's a way people can help, even those who don't have much spending money. If everyone brought one or two cans in a big church, that would be 1500-2000 cans a week, at my church. It's a couple of bucks more each trip to the grocery store. If 3 or 4 churches go together on a food drive, they could feed a whole neighborhood that week. We give our food to Gleaners/Second Harvest, which also works with the grocery stores and bakeries to give out day-old bread.

Also, in Detroit the last few years, there is an effort to get the poor to band together and plant neighborhood vegetable gardens, either in a park or on vacant lots. There's been some limited success in that area, but it could take off as people get more desperate. Seeds are cheap, and vegetables can be canned, for winter eating.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    A couple of months ago I saw a homeless man sitting near a dumpster at KFC. I drove by him and it dawned on me that he was waiting for the next batch of garbage to be thrown out. I turned my car around and gave him some money and told him to get some fresh chicken.
    I would have brought him real food. I NEVER give money to individuals. Food yes - money no.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I could see in rural areas, if people don't have any kind of transportation available, how it could happen. In a big city, though, with soup kitchens and churches that give away food, there is no reason for anyone to go hungry.

Even in the rural areas. We lived on a farm when I was a kid and when my father left - we we're beyond broke - my mother didn't drive - and we lived a full mile from our nearest neighbors. Even so - people were there to help.

PLUS in the rural areas there is the NATURAL food supply available from rodents to deer.

Banned
    Why not put two and two together here. Dumpster dive the grocery store... give the food to charity. Or the charities should work directly with the stores who throw out stuff because of cosmetic issues with some of the packaging.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    Why not put two and two together here. Dumpster dive the grocery store... give the food to charity. Or the charities should work directly with the stores who throw out stuff because of cosmetic issues with some of the packaging.
    A smart fella like you should know the answer to that one willie .The theory is if they give it away to the poor they may lose money because the poor then will not buy from them if they had any money?

The brains who figured that one out must have been Progressives.They will give to some organized outfits but not to the destitute individual who asks.Some markets have in the past spread poison over the food in the dumpsters to dissuade people picking the garbage.They,the store owners,said it was because of the rodents !
    Last edited by megimoo; 02-02-2009 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    A couple of months ago I saw a homeless man sitting near a dumpster at KFC. I drove by him and it dawned on me that he was waiting for the next batch of garbage to be thrown out. I turned my car around and gave him some money and told him to get some fresh chicken.
    Several years ago, I saw a couple trying to give a panhandler a sandwich that they'd bought in the deli next to where he was begging. He wouldn't take it, and got really indignant about wanting the money, instead. The couple couldn't figure out what is problem was until I pointed out that he was panhandling in front of a liquor store. He couldn't trade the sandwich for a drink, so it was useless to him. When I said that, the panhandler cursed me out and the couple had an "aha" moment.

You should have stayed and watched your dumpster diver. I guarantee that he still ate out of the dumpster and spent the money on booze or drugs.

That's a remarkably logical and intelligent suggestion. What have you done with the real Wilbur?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Can't. People then turn and sue the grocery stores.