Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Can't. People then turn and sue the grocery stores.
    I don't think many people on the street want anything to do with the courts or judges .There are many a sad story of street people found dead around restaurant back doors and dumpsters, especially in California .

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Several years ago, I saw a couple trying to give a panhandler a sandwich that they'd bought in the deli next to where he was begging. He wouldn't take it, and got really indignant about wanting the money, instead. The couple couldn't figure out what is problem was until I pointed out that he was panhandling in front of a liquor store. He couldn't trade the sandwich for a drink, so it was useless to him. When I said that, the panhandler cursed me out and the couple had an "aha" moment.

You should have stayed and watched your dumpster diver. I guarantee that he still ate out of the dumpster and spent the money on booze or drugs.

That's a remarkably logical and intelligent suggestion. What have you done with the real Wilbur?
    I have many times in the past given money to people on the streets.I know most of them will spend it on booze but I feel if that's what they want to make their life a little less painful so be it,who am I to judge them .

I once gave money to a guy just before Christmas,early in the morning on a heavy snow day on my way to work.I think it was a five dollar bill and when I turned around he ran up to me and said it wasn't enough so I laughed and gave him another five. Maybe I'll have a few days off while I am being punished for my evil ways !

What the heck it was Christmas and he needed a drink to forget his troubles.I read in an article that the average life time for a man ,homeless and living on the streets of a large American city is about two years max .In the northern city's they freeze to death in some door way. In the warm city's they sometimes choke on their own drunken vomit if they are not murdered by some other street person !

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    A smart fella like you should know the answer to that one willie .The theory is if they give it away to the poor they may lose money because the poor then will not buy from them if they had any money?

The brains who figured that one out must have been Progressives.They will give to some organized outfits but not to the destitute individual who asks.Some markets have in the past spread poison over the food in the dumpsters to dissuade people picking the garbage.They,the store owners,said it was because of the rodents !
    I volunteer with the main food bank here in North Florida (Second Havest Food Bank) and all the grocery stores donate both food and money. Everyday truckloads of damaged and near out of date and out of date food arrive and it gets distributed just as fast as it comes in. Even the day old bread and pastries are given to the food bank and distributed to the needed. The stuff that ends up in the dumpster of a grocery store are items that are too few to send and and stuff that is not good for human consumption. Lazy store clerks do dump some good stuff one in a while but for the most part everything usable is donated to the food bank.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    I volunteer with the main food bank here in North Florida (Second Havest Food Bank) and all the grocery stores donate both food and money. Everyday truckloads of damaged and near out of date and out of date food arrive and it gets distributed just as fast as it comes in. Even the day old bread and pastries are given to the food bank and distributed to the needed. The stuff that ends up in the dumpster of a grocery store are items that are too few to send and and stuff that is not good for human consumption. Lazy store clerks do dump some good stuff one in a while but for the most part everything usable is donated to the food bank.
    Christians in action, good for you !