Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 New Staggering Stats for SF Bay Area Earthquake Risk 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    One out of four buildings could crumble in San Francisco if another Loma Prieta size earthquake strikes. 30,000 of San Francisco's 120,000 buildings might be destroyed in an earthquake similar to 1989's Loma Prieta rumble according to a San Francisco Planning and Urban Research Association (SPUR) report. Most at risk are "soft-story" residential buildings, which are generally homes or apartments built above parking lots and retail spaces.

Nearly half the homes damaged in the '89 quake were soft-story structures. Since the most vulnerable buildings are residential, the post-quake recovery efforts could be hampered by massive homelessness much like the displacement... snip

A recent report from the city's Department of Building Inspection suggests that $1.5 billion in damages could be avoided if 2,800 of the at-risk structures were required to retrofit for earthquake safety.

San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom has not been in favor of mandatory retrofits, though is reconsidering his stance after recent reports.

However, with the city budget in arrears, real estate prices plummeting and the credit crunch affecting projects like the mayor's pet solar panel rebate program, any government mandated seismic safety program will likely prove unpopular.

At least, until it's too late.

The dry, cloudless skies San Franciscans have been enjoying of late is sometimes superstitiously referred to as "earthquake weather" among residents, and scientists predict that the next tectonic dance party will be significantly more powerful than the one twenty years ago.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local...uake-Risk.html

1989 Loma Prieta earthquake

Loma Prieta earthquake Date October 17, 1989
    Magnitude 6.9 Mw
    Depth: 18 kilometres (11 mi)
    Epicenter location: Forest of Nisene Marks State Park, California
    Countries/regions affected United States (San Francisco Bay Area)
    Max. intensity: VIII - Destructive Casualties: 63 killed, 3,757 injured

The Loma Prieta earthquake, also known as the Quake of '89 and the World Series Quake, was a major earthquake that struck the San Francisco Bay Area of California on October 17, 1989 at 5:04 p.m. local time. Caused by a slip along the San Andreas Fault, the earthquake lasted approximately 15 seconds and measured 6.9 on the moment magnitude scale (surface-wave magnitude 7.1).

The quake killed 63 people throughout northern California, injured 3,757 people and left some 8,000 to 12,000 people homeless.

The earthquake occurred during the warm-up for the third game of the 1989 World Series, coincidentally featuring both of the Bay Area's Major League Baseball teams, the Oakland Athletics and the San Francisco Giants. This was the first major earthquake in America to be broadcast on live television.

Sooner or later, a quake is going to hit either SF or LA that will make none of the building safety codes matter. Everything will be destroyed, except maybe the Transamerica pyramid (it is allegedly "earthquake-proof") and wooden structures.

And, if Lex Luthor in the old Superman movie was right, Nevada will be the new beach on the Pacific. I think the quake has to hit a couple of nuclear reactors for that to happen, though.

I was working on the road that day in South San Jose. I was stopped at a light and had my head down in the car adjusting the radio for the World Series game when the quake hit. At first I thought the car was dying because it felt like it started ideling really rough. I then heard a noise like thunder to my right - it was the awning of the gas station on the corner shaking like crazy. They say it only lasted 15 seconds but it was the longest 15 seconds I've ever experienced.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    I was working on the road that day in South San Jose. I was stopped at a light and had my head down in the car adjusting the radio for the World Series game when the quake hit. At first I thought the car was dying because it felt like it started ideling really rough. I then heard a noise like thunder to my right - it was the awning of the gas station on the corner shaking like crazy. They say it only lasted 15 seconds but it was the longest 15 seconds I've ever experienced.
    I was in a restaurant in Santa Clara with two South American customers having dinner after just closing on a system purchase.We were talking about the differences in the food between their country and California when it started shaking .

At first I thought I was having a stroke with the lightheadedness but when I looked up the big overhead lighting fixture was jumping up and down .I tried to get them out of the building but they were frozen in place so I headed for the nearest exit and stood or rather tried to stand in the bars doorway to the parking lot .The barmaid was crying and shaking saying that this was the 'big one' between drinks that she gulped down .

Looking out at the cement block parking wall sliding in place, the top course slipping one way and the bottom course slipping the other like saw blades .After it stopped I collected my customers and took them back their hotel and spent some time in the bar with them to calm them and me down after our fears.That makes about ten California quakes I've been through !

Banned
    It would do this country good wiping out all those fags and tax leaches in one fell swoop. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Lars1701a View Post
    It would do this country good wiping out all those fags and tax leaches in one fell swoop. :D
    Same line of thought here! :D And they can't blame Bush for it.

At least here in FL, we don't get earthquakes! And with hurricanes, you get days of warning to board up, pack important belongings, & flee.
    Last edited by AHeneen; 02-02-2009 at 04:29 PM.
    "Because we're a great nation, our challenges seem complex; it will always be this way. But as long as we remember our first principals and believe in ourselves, the future will always be ours." -Reagan

There must be at least a hundred straight people living in San Farncisco Aka Sodom By the Bay !

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AHeneen View Post
    Same line of thought here! :D And they can't blame Bush for it.
    Come now you are a smart person you very well know they will blame Bush for it. Something along the lines: due to his budget cuts poor people had to eat fatty foods making them heavy and all the extra weight caused:D part of CA to fall into the ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    There must be at least a hundred straight people living in San Farncisco Aka Sodom By the Bay !

We will honor their sacrifice.

Come now you are a smart person you very well know they will blame Bush for it. Something along the lines: due to his budget cuts poor people had to eat fatty foods making them heavy and all the extra weight caused:D part of CA to fall into the ocean.

It can't fall into the ocean because of the Juan De Fuca plate subducting the North American plate .There are no gaps between plates so all California can do is to move slowly North slipping and quaking all along the way .The plates slip suddenly, causing a subduction zone earthquake.

Juan de Fuca Plate :
    snip
    This subducting plate system has formed the volcanic Cascade Range, the Cascade Volcanoes and the Pacific Ranges, which is part of the Pacific Ring of Fire, along the west coast of North America from southern British Columbia to northern California.

The last major earthquake at the Cascadia subduction zone was the 1700 Cascadia earthquake, estimated to have a moment magnitude of 8.7 to 9.2.

Based on carbon dating of local tsunami deposits, it occurred around 1700. As reported in National Geographic on December 8, 2003, Japanese tsunami records indicate the quake happened the evening of Tuesday, January 26, 1700.

In 2008, small earthquakes were observed within the plate. The unusual quakes were described as "more than 600 quakes over the past 10 days in a basin 150 miles southwest of Newport." The quakes were unlike most quakes in that they did not follow the pattern of a large quake, followed by smaller aftershocks; rather, they were simply a continual deluge of small quakes.

Furthermore, they did not occur on the tectonic plate boundary, but rather in the middle of the plate. The subterranean quakes were heard on hydrophones, and scientists described the sounds as similar to thunder, and unlike anything heard previously.