1. #1 Melanie Phillips on a Gay Adoption Case in Scotland 
    I found this opinin piece to be most illuminating

MELANIE PHILLIPS: To place children with two gay men when an adoptive mother and father are available, just to uphold a brutal dogma, is a sickening assault on family life

Last updated at 11:55 AM on 30th January 2009

MELANIE PHILLIPS, WRITING EXCLUSIVELY FOR MAIL ONLINE

When homosexuality was legalised back in 1967 did anyone dream that some four decades on a British grandmother and grandfather wanting to adopt their own grandchildren would be refused permission and the children adopted instead by two gay men?

The case in Edinburgh reported today, where precisely this grotesque development has occurred, illustrates the sickening way in which what started out as a decent attempt to be tolerant towards a minority lifestyle has turned into a totalitarian assault upon family life and human rights.

For two years these grandparents fought for their right to care for the children, a five-year-old boy and his four-year-old sister, whose 26-year-old mother is a recovering heroin addict. But at 46 and 59 they were ruled to be too old to adopt.

Reluctantly, therefore, they agreed to the children being adopted by another couple, on the basis they would be brought up by a loving mother and father figure. But although several heterosexual couples were available to adopt them, the children were handed over instead to two gay men.
    When the devastated grandparents objected they were threatened that unless they dropped their opposition they would never see their grandchildren again on account of their ‘negative’ attitude towards gay adoption.

There are so many layers to this gross and terrifying abuse of power that one hardly knows where to start.
    The reason why adoption is so successful at raising healthy, well-adjusted children is that it replicates as far as possible the biological mother and father whose presence in the family is so crucial to the well-being of their children.
    Read it here in total

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

I don't have a problem with gays adopting kids who don't have any suitable or interested relatives available, as long as the kids are okay with it.

But in this case, the adoptive couple's sexual orientation isn't even the cruicial issue. The issue is that the grandparents are not too old to adopt-46 and 59? At least one, and probably both will be around until the child reaches adulthood.

This is Scotland, though, and I don't know whether the law has a standard (Michigan's cut off age is 70), or whether this is one of those situational judgment kinds of things, where the officials are saying because couple A is younger than couple B, they are more suitable. That wouldn't fly in my state, because suitable relatives always are the first priority in locating adoptive parents.