Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 More Finger Wagging From The Nanny Staters. 
    Swab your ears? Survey says you're not alone
    Consumer Reports finds many Americans can't resist risky behavior

updated 10:37 a.m. MT, Tues., Feb. 3, 2009

YONKERS, N.Y. - The people at Consumer Reports magazine are at it again, telling us we're doing what we shouldn't.

For example, nearly 3 of every 4 Americans put cotton swabs inside their ears, risking a perforated eardrum, according to the magazine's telephone survey of 1,000 adults. Nearly 4 in 10 often eat raw cookie dough, which could carry salmonella.

Only half the respondents have a carbon monoxide detector at home and 61 percent don't have a rubber mat in the shower. The Yonkers, N.Y.-based magazine said Monday that 13 percent admitted sometimes drinking beer while using power tools.
    I've got to say that 13% on the power tool/beer question seems kind of low for my area. :D

Share you hair-raising risky habits with the Lounge. I never wear a bike helmet, I sometimes yank veggies out of the dirt and just eat them, and I routinely use 75 watt bulbs in sockets rated for 60 watts.

Yeah, I live on the edge.

MSNBC

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Raw cookie dough is a delicacy and cleaning my ears is the ONLY thing I regularly use cotton swabs for.

I eat raw veggies right out of the Garden also, and just to add some excitement to life, I often stand on a swivel chair to change light bulbs.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

I agree with the raw cookie dough! I use rolling chairs when getting things off high shelves or changing light bulbs. I drive without a seat belt on country roads...and go way over the posted 50 mph. I stand on the top platform of the ladder to reach into the attic or on the roof...and I use an aluminum ladder despite "the danger of electrocution" because fiberglass ladders would guarantee days of recovery every time I had to haul one alone. :D

Oh, and I also use swabs to clean my ears. I can't even imagine actually shoving one in far enough to hit an eardrum!
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I've got to say that 13% on the power tool/beer question seems kind of low for my area. :D

Share you hair-raising risky habits with the Lounge. I never wear a bike helmet, I sometimes yank veggies out of the dirt and just eat them, and I routinely use 75 watt bulbs in sockets rated for 60 watts.

Yeah, I live on the edge.

MSNBC

Another 70 percent admitted to using power tools while drinking.
    For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing.
    To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance of life. And who is equal to such a task?”

2 Corinthians 2:15-16

People shouldn't engage in risky behaivior!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYzsskE5ObA

:D

I also use cotton swabs for the vital ear-cleaning routine. I frequently don't read instructions before assembling/using various items. From time to time, I have considered "out of bounds" to be more of an invitation rather than a serious warning.

I use a wooden cutting board and I shamelessly chop veggies after chicken. I do clean it with bleach but not before I put my entire household at risk for who knows what. Despite being a genetic redhead, I have appeared in daylight without sunscreen. :p

Nearly 4 in 10 often eat raw cookie dough, which could carry salmonella.
    Careful there. Not reducing fractions can cause lower math quiz scores. Very risky.
    Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around.

Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    Careful there. Not reducing fractions can cause lower math quiz scores. Very risky.
    They're journalists - they already know they can't do math. Otherwise, they'd have a real profession like chemistry. :D

I happily eat raw cookie dough. In fact, I prefer it to cookies. I use q-tips to clean my ears, and I have been known to take an alcoholic beverage in a jacuzzi ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Rose View Post
    ......and I have been known to take an alcoholic beverage in a jacuzzi ;)
    OMG! You tawdry risk-inducing, safety-shunning slut! The combination of liquor and water poses an enormous safety hazard not to mention the moral issues. Tell me that you didn't enter the water without a pH test and safety goggles! :eek: