Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 More Finger Wagging From The Nanny Staters. 
    Swab your ears? Survey says you're not alone
    Consumer Reports finds many Americans can't resist risky behavior

updated 10:37 a.m. MT, Tues., Feb. 3, 2009

YONKERS, N.Y. - The people at Consumer Reports magazine are at it again, telling us we're doing what we shouldn't.

For example, nearly 3 of every 4 Americans put cotton swabs inside their ears, risking a perforated eardrum, according to the magazine's telephone survey of 1,000 adults. Nearly 4 in 10 often eat raw cookie dough, which could carry salmonella.

Only half the respondents have a carbon monoxide detector at home and 61 percent don't have a rubber mat in the shower. The Yonkers, N.Y.-based magazine said Monday that 13 percent admitted sometimes drinking beer while using power tools.
    I've got to say that 13% on the power tool/beer question seems kind of low for my area. :D

Share you hair-raising risky habits with the Lounge. I never wear a bike helmet, I sometimes yank veggies out of the dirt and just eat them, and I routinely use 75 watt bulbs in sockets rated for 60 watts.

Yeah, I live on the edge.

MSNBC

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Raw cookie dough is a delicacy and cleaning my ears is the ONLY thing I regularly use cotton swabs for.

I eat raw veggies right out of the Garden also, and just to add some excitement to life, I often stand on a swivel chair to change light bulbs.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

I agree with the raw cookie dough! I use rolling chairs when getting things off high shelves or changing light bulbs. I drive without a seat belt on country roads...and go way over the posted 50 mph. I stand on the top platform of the ladder to reach into the attic or on the roof...and I use an aluminum ladder despite "the danger of electrocution" because fiberglass ladders would guarantee days of recovery every time I had to haul one alone. :D

Oh, and I also use swabs to clean my ears. I can't even imagine actually shoving one in far enough to hit an eardrum!
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I've got to say that 13% on the power tool/beer question seems kind of low for my area. :D

Share you hair-raising risky habits with the Lounge. I never wear a bike helmet, I sometimes yank veggies out of the dirt and just eat them, and I routinely use 75 watt bulbs in sockets rated for 60 watts.

Yeah, I live on the edge.

MSNBC

Another 70 percent admitted to using power tools while drinking.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

People shouldn't engage in risky behaivior!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYzsskE5ObA

:D

I also use cotton swabs for the vital ear-cleaning routine. I frequently don't read instructions before assembling/using various items. From time to time, I have considered "out of bounds" to be more of an invitation rather than a serious warning.

I use a wooden cutting board and I shamelessly chop veggies after chicken. I do clean it with bleach but not before I put my entire household at risk for who knows what. Despite being a genetic redhead, I have appeared in daylight without sunscreen. :p

Nearly 4 in 10 often eat raw cookie dough, which could carry salmonella.
    Careful there. Not reducing fractions can cause lower math quiz scores. Very risky.
    Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around.

Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    Careful there. Not reducing fractions can cause lower math quiz scores. Very risky.
    They're journalists - they already know they can't do math. Otherwise, they'd have a real profession like chemistry. :D

I happily eat raw cookie dough. In fact, I prefer it to cookies. I use q-tips to clean my ears, and I have been known to take an alcoholic beverage in a jacuzzi ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Rose View Post
    ......and I have been known to take an alcoholic beverage in a jacuzzi ;)
    OMG! You tawdry risk-inducing, safety-shunning slut! The combination of liquor and water poses an enormous safety hazard not to mention the moral issues. Tell me that you didn't enter the water without a pH test and safety goggles! :eek: