Five second grade boys were taken to the hospital for observation today after one of them passed around several packages of heroin during gym class.
Philadelphia Police Lt. Frank Vanore said the male gym teacher at McDaniel School, at 1901 South 23rd St. in Southwest Philadelphia, became suspicious when he saw the students passing around the packages. One boy touched the substance with his finger, tasted it and spit it out. The other boys all touched it. None of them ingested it.
Police confirmed that the substance in the packages was heroin, Vanore said. He said police are continuing to investigate the source of the drug which was brought in by one of the five boys. All of them were in the same second grade gym glass.