Thread: Tuesday

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Sun's just coming out now - and it's not so damn hot.

TOTD: I think I was four - in Ft. Smith, AR to visit my grandmother, with my mom and dad. Went to the movies and the show stopped and they told us to all get down in the cellar. Listened to a sound that was not of this world (normally) and then the rendering of huge timbers being blown from the building for about two minutes - then it was gone. A few minutes later they let us all out of there into the stone silent night and the building and both on either side of it had ceased to exist. Apparently 9 people died in my grandma’s town that night. I won’t ever forget that.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

TOTD

2 Hurricanes and the advent of new coke. *shudder!*

Banned
    I have been thru several hurricanes. Never had any damage to my property but being without electricity for 4 or 5 days when the temp. is in the mid 90's is a bitch. When I got too hot, I would drive around for a few min. with the AC on to cool off.

gator
    We just had a terrific Florida thunderstorm cell form over my area. About 45 minutes of hard lightening and thunder. Over two and half inches of rain. Hail and strong winds nearby. The pool is even overflowing. When the rain was coming down the hardest your see more than ten feet out the window.

I love Florida in the summertime. The weather scares the cat and all she wanted to do is curl up in my lap so I can protect her. Her little heart is beating fast and her ears turn at the sound of every thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    We just had a terrific Florida thunderstorm cell form over my area. About 45 minutes of hard lightening and thunder. Over two and half inches of rain. Hail and strong winds nearby. The pool is even overflowing. When the rain was coming down the hardest your see more than ten feet out the window.

I love Florida in the summertime. The weather scares the cat and all she wanted to do is curl up in my lap so I can protect her. Her little heart is beating fast and her ears turn at the sound of every thunder.
    Yeah, that cell just swept through our area and poured rain and thunder-boomers for about an hour or so. Done now. I think we (our immediate area) missed the worst of it, although the weather-alerts are still posting on the local TV channels...
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Oops! Sorry everyone! :D

I was running late this morning!

TOTD: Hurricane Bertha while on vacation in St. Thomas. Direct hit on the island. Did the "usual" damage you might expect from a weak Cat 2 cane. Some planes flipped over at the airport, downed trees, etc.

The hotel I was at was Frenchman's Reef and has it's own power and water. We all got put in the basement for a few hours. Didn't have a digital camera back then so no pics but the eye did go directly over the island.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Oops! Sorry everyone! :D
    I can't even believe that you would show your face.:mad:
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

gator
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
    Yeah, that cell just swept through our area and poured rain and thunder-boomers for about an hour or so. Done now. I think we (our immediate area) missed the worst of it, although the weather-alerts are still posting on the local TV channels...

This is what just hit us:

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    I can't even believe that you would show your face.:mad:
    Well I could have just deleted the thread and started over...:p:D

Oh, and Hurricane Charley was a close miss when I was in Sarasota. Very close.:eek:

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Well I could have just deleted the thread and started over...:p:D

Oh, and Hurricane Charley was a close miss when I was in Sarasota. Very close.:eek:

Close? Charley was close to you? We're on a first name basis.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III