Thread: Tuesday

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    I lived in Florida for 9 years and we never had to use the hurricane supplies. None even came close.

So, we move to the mountains of North Georgia and within a year, BOOM, a hurrican blows through. Trees down. Power out. 100 mph winds.

We don't have hurricane supplies up here. We have ice storm supplies.

I think the hurrican was Opal.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Close? Charley was close to you? We're on a first name basis.
    Hee,hee! Actually it was closer to gator than me. We never even got TS force winds and the T-Storms the next day were worse than anything we got when it blew through. At one point they had the eye projected to come right over my house. :D

Don't forget the hurricane force winds were in a band less than 10 miles wide. Not that that helped the people down in Punta Gorda...:(

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Well I could have just deleted the thread and started over...:p:D

Oh, and Hurricane Charley was a close miss when I was in Sarasota. Very close.:eek:
    Yeah, my parents got the shocker of their lives with Charlie/Charley....it was "supposed" to hit land due north of them, in Tampa/St. Pete, but decided to do that last-minute "jog" to the east and plowed right inland around Punta Gorda (they live in North Ft Myers, which is about 20 minutes or so away...a stone's throw). They "hunkered down" in the walk-in closet with water and supplies...luckily the roof held (god bless that 70's construction, honestly...the guy that built the house knew his shit) but the pool screen enclosure went bye-bye as did some of their landscaping.
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

About 11 years ago there was a fairly significant flood in my area. My power was out for 4 days, but for many others it was 1-2 weeks. There was no real problem with my house...except that I had just moved there and an old neighbor called me to tell me that they were talking on the news about evacuating the area around the reservoir. Now, I knew the reservoir was near me (as every neighborhood surrounding me seemed to be named after it), but I wasn't exactly sure where it was. So I had no idea if I should be worried or not. Turns out I didn't really need to be.

Oh...and the dumb thing I did...my boss followed me home to make certain I got home okay. As I got ready to cross the "creek" I noticed that the water had come up over the road (fairly significantly) and the van in front of me was having a little trouble getting through. So I steeled myself to drive through it, figuring I just needed to keep up my speed to make certain I didn't get stuck in the middle of it. At the last minute I looked in my mirror and realized my boss was madly flashing his lights at me and turning his car around. Once we stopped he asked me "what the f*** were you thinking?". Oh. That's when I learned that you aren't ever supposed to try to cross a creek that has flooded over the road. Yeah. That makes sense. Sometimes my blond shows.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
    Yeah, my parents got the shocker of their lives with Charlie/Charley....it was "supposed" to hit land due north of them, in Tampa/St. Pete, but decided to do that last-minute "jog" to the east and plowed right inland around Punta Gorda (they live in North Ft Myers, which is about 20 minutes or so away...a stone's throw). They "hunkered down" in the walk-in closet with water and supplies...luckily the roof held (god bless that 70's construction, honestly...the guy that built the house knew his shit) but the pool screen enclosure went bye-bye as did some of their landscaping.
    Oh ya! The house SLW and I were staying at on Sanibel lost it's pool cage also thanks to Charley. It was a two story one and cost the owners 16K to replace! :eek: Insurance didn't cover it because they did something really stupid with their coverage a few months before the cane hit.

It was supposed to hit around Tampa. They had lowered all the I-75 lights up around me and left them up around the Port Charlotte area. They got snapped like twigs being so top heavy.

Were you and Shannon on CU at that time? Remember the DUmmies jumped on a story that a couple of losers started that was of course false? Bodies all over Puta Gorda...they were stacked like cordwood...Jeb brought in the infamous "Ice Trucks" to hide all the dead!!! God did they end up looking like total morons on that one!!!:D

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    About 11 years ago there was a fairly significant flood in my area. My power was out for 4 days, but for many others it was 1-2 weeks. There was no real problem with my house...except that I had just moved there and an old neighbor called me to tell me that they were talking on the news about evacuating the area around the reservoir. Now, I knew the reservoir was near me (as every neighborhood surrounding me seemed to be named after it), but I wasn't exactly sure where it was. So I had no idea if I should be worried or not. Turns out I didn't really need to be.

Oh...and the dumb thing I did...my boss followed me home to make certain I got home okay. As I got ready to cross the "creek" I noticed that the water had come up over the road (fairly significantly) and the van in front of me was having a little trouble getting through. So I steeled myself to drive through it, figuring I just needed to keep up my speed to make certain I didn't get stuck in the middle of it. At the last minute I looked in my mirror and realized my boss was madly flashing his lights at me and turning his car around. Once we stopped he asked me "what the f*** were you thinking?". Oh. That's when I learned that you aren't ever supposed to try to cross a creek that has flooded over the road. Yeah. That makes sense. Sometimes my blond shows.
    If you don't live in a flood-prone area, you wouldn't be aware of that. Learned that when I lived in San Antonio from the evening news, with pics of folks floating away down the raging river (that was normally a dry creek bed).

TOTD: Had a tree fall on my previous house, did $40k damage, from those straight line winds. I think it was a tornado, but not an official one. There were a lot of huge branches down, but no one else with a tree on the house. Problem was, it was about a 50 foot tall tree, huge monster.