Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Iraqi death researcher censured 
    Iraqi death researcher censured
    An academic whose estimates of civilian deaths during the Iraq war sparked controversy has been criticised for not fully co-operating with an inquiry.

Gilbert Burnham said in the Lancet medical journal in 2006 that 650,000 civilians had died since 2003 - a figure far higher than other estimates.

A polling association in the US said Dr Burnham had refused to supply "basic facts" for its inquiry into his work.

It did not comment on the accuracy of his conclusion.

The American Association for Public Opinion Research (AAPOR)began investigating Dr Burnham's work in March 2008 after a complaint by one of its members.

His research was based on a survey of Iraqi households and concluded that by July 2006 about 655,000 Iraqi civilians had died as a result of the US-led invasion.

The Iraqi government does not keep precise records of civilians killed and neither do US forces, but in 2006 the Iraqi health ministry estimated that between 100,000 to 150,000 civilians had died.

The AAPOR's executive council said in a statement carried by the Associated Press news agency: "When asked to provide several basic facts about this research, Burnham refused."

It said it wanted to know the wording of questions asked and instructions and explanations given to respondents.

"Dr Burnham provided only partial information and explicitly refused to provide complete information about the basic elements of his research," said Mary Losch, chair of the association's standards committee.

She added that Dr Burnham's refusal to co-operate "violates the fundamental standards of science, seriously undermines open public debate on critical issues and undermines the credibility of all survey and public opinion research."

Non-members

A spokesman for the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, where Dr Burnham works, said they were disappointed AAPOR had said he violated the code of ethics.

However, the spokesman pointed out to AP that neither the researcher nor the school were members of the association.

The level of civilian casualties in Iraq has been a controversial issue ever since the US-led invasion of 2003.

For Dr Burnham's study, researchers spoke to more than 1,800 families comprising 12,800 people, comparing mortality rates in selected areas before and after the invasion.

Its conclusion was undermined by allegations that the number of people surveyed was too small and that the authors may have inflated the figures for political reasons.

The Lancet said it had no comment.

The independent Iraq Body Count, which counts only confirmed deaths, currently has a range of between 90,556 and 98,850.

Story from BBC NEWS:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/h...st/7869317.stm

Published: 2009/02/04 12:20:22 GMT

© BBC MMIX
    ************************************************** *************************
    Anyone else think that this guy lied through his teeth?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

And I'm sure this will be all over NBC tonight

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd-try View Post
    And I'm sure this will be all over NBC tonight
    I'm amazed that the BBC covered it.
    --Odysseus

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    I'm amazed that the BBC covered it.
    as long as it's not a story about Israel - BBC can be very fair.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

They're a little behind. The last count that was given was over 1 million Iraqis.

http://shockandblog.blogspot.com/200...qi-deaths.html

Everyone knows - no, scratch that. Everyone who isn't a moonbat or a fool knows that the figures are completely bogus.

http://shockandblog.blogspot.com/200...idiculous.html

http://shockandblog.blogspot.com/200...rib-today.html

Of course, have you noticed that once the military deaths started to decline, the Lancet clowns shut their big mouths?
    OPEACHMENT NOW!!!

Stinger:
    "I was... ordered to drop my pants, bend over and spread my cheeks."
    --RagingInMiami achieving the DUmp's highest level of nirvana

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    as long as it's not a story about Israel - BBC can be very fair.
    Not when the US military is concerned. Anti-militarism is the anti-semitism of the left.
    --Odysseus

Not when the US military is concerned. Anti-militarism is the anti-semitism of the left.
    The BBC is probably one of the last vestiges of what can be called fair reporting. If there happens to be an instance of some critical stance toward the U.S. military, I'm certain it's far from being some leftwing bias against the U.S.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    The BBC is probably one of the last vestiges of what can be called fair reporting. If there happens to be an instance of some critical stance toward the U.S. military, I'm certain it's far from being some leftwing bias against the U.S.
    Their reporting on the US movement through Baghdad during the opening phase of the war was among the worst of any news agency. They uncritically repeated Baghdad Bob's talking points about how we were nowhere near Baghdad, even as it was obvious that US troops were all over the city and crossing it at will. Their coverage of Abu Ghraib and Haditha makes Al Jazeera look like FOXNews.
    --Odysseus

Their reporting on the US movement through Baghdad during the opening phase of the war was among the worst of any news agency. They uncritically repeated Baghdad Bob's talking points about how we were nowhere near Baghdad, even as it was obvious that US troops were all over the city and crossing it at will. Their coverage of Abu Ghraib and Haditha makes Al Jazeera look like FOXNews.
    Wasn't a tie exposed between some very high people in the UK government and the oil for food scandal?
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Of course that is your opinion... I'm quite certain there are plenty who would have welcomed them covering their units as they did so.

I'm not certain any news organization, save Fox, would be sufficient for you then.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor