Thread: Doggie Dentals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Doggie Dentals 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Today was the day for Darlene and Xena to have their dentals. They
    are back home and from what I heard from SLW they were very happy
    to see her and leave! :D

I think Xena is the worst for wear, she is thirsty but not hungry. Darlene
    is a little more chipper, hungry (ate a small meal) but no big thirst.

Missing a meal won't hurt the X-girl. :D
    May the FORCE be with you!

Xena finally emerged from the bedroom and ate a little of her food.

I was wondering if $499 is too much for dentals for 2 dogs? They said the dogs had to have "health and comfort pack", which included a pain shot. They also hooked IV's up to them. It was just a dental, no extractions. Next time I won't get that OraVet. They applied that plaque prevention gel to their teeth and sent home one pack of little gel packs to apply to their teeth once a week.

I was so annoyed that I argued them down another 10%. Maybe $450 was a fair price, but certainly wasn't expecting to pay that much.

There was a woman almost yelling at them next to me. It seems they quoted her $129 for a neutre for her dog. They charged over double that. She was told she had to pay and could fill out a "dispute" form.

The main vet there is wonderful. I think the world of him, but he doesn't own the place. They've gotten totally out of control with their prices. Or maybe I'm just being too thrifty.

What do they charge in other areas for those dentals?

The prices on this stuff started going up when they started offering pet insurance.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    I was wondering if $499 is too much for dentals for 2 dogs?
    :eek: :eek:

I've always loved my dogs dearly, but I can't imagine paying for dental care for them.

Does your employer offer "Doggie Dental Coverage"? :D

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post

I've always loved my dogs dearly, but I can't imagine paying for dental care for them.

I'm lucky they offer people dental coverage. :D

Greyhounds generally have very bad teeth. The techs at the vets were talking about how they feel sorry for the poor greys. The tracks basically feed slop to the dogs.

The vet wants them to have dentals 2x a year, but that's way too expensive. SR and I need to be more diligent about brushing their teeth. We'll have to teach them to stand in a line. It worked getting Xena to accept wearing a "snow coat". They're so skinny that they need a coat when it's around zero. Now they push to be the first to get their coat on. If only we can translate that to brushing the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post

I can only remember ever taking one pet to the vets when I was growing up - my cat who became diabetic. Other than that . . . . nope. So paying for dogs to go to the dentist is well beyond me.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    I can only remember ever taking one pet to the vets when I was growing up - my cat who became diabetic. Other than that . . . . nope. So paying for dogs to go to the dentist is well beyond me.
    It's the regular vet. I guess that I was getting testy. I told them that I paid less to my dentist, who has taught at two local universities in their school of dentistry than I paid them. They got the point that I thought they were ripping us off.

We don't have doggie insurance. Blue has too many preexisting conditions. SR had it on Xena, but paid out a lot more to them than he ever got back. He cancelled it.

Speaking of doggie dentals, I ran across a reference to this dental product site on a Labrador Retriever Breeders forum.

http://www.petzlife.com/before_and_after.htm

And one of the "before/after" pictures is even of a Greyhound. :D

Maybe see if anyone on a greyhound forum has used this product and what they think of it. :)
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    The prices on this stuff started going up when they started offering pet insurance.
    That would not surprise me. Like my wife said, I had pet insurance on Xena but the amounts they returned for covered procedures just didn't justify the yearly premiums. I canceled it about a year ago.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by talleyJudy View Post
    Speaking of doggie dentals, I ran across a reference to this dental product site on a Labrador Retriever Breeders forum.

http://www.petzlife.com/before_and_after.htm

And one of the "before/after" pictures is even of a Greyhound. :D

Maybe see if anyone on a greyhound forum has used this product and what they think of it. :)
    Thanks, will check this out with my vet. Blue could really use it, if it's safe for him. He has epilepsy, but fortunately has been seizure free for 18 months (actually today is the 18 month mark). The vet won't do a dental on him, as he's afraid to use anesthesia on Blue, who also panics when he's in a crate of any kind.