1. #1 Time to grow up and put your guns away 
    Time to grow up and put your guns away

My 20-month-old nephew loves Elmo and Dora. He also has started making explosion and gunfire noises.
    I get the inevitability of little boys' fascination with guns.
    What I can't figure out are the men and sometimes women who don't grow out of the gun-crazy stage of childhood, who need to have a handgun on their hips at all times, who need their neighbors to notice.
    Ten of them stormed the West Valley City Council meeting last week to back up Travis Deveraux, a 36-year-old credit card company worker, who was detained by police in December while exercising with his Smith & Wesson.
    "I don't blame them for being a little bit extra careful," Deveraux said. "But there's a line they crossed between being a little bit careful and a little bit too careful."
    I thought there was no such thing as "too careful" - especially with a gun. But the OpenCarry crowd's literal interpretation of the "right to bear arms" and self-appointment as our "well-regulated militia" undercuts careful law enforcement, membership in a civil society and even reason.
    It's in the Constitution, their thinking goes. They are "peaceably going about their business while armed," standing on the watchtower, the last line of defense against government tyranny and crazed criminals. We should thank them.

Link
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

Patent Member
    My 2 year old neighbor loves Elmo and Dora. She has also started running around screaming at the top of her lungs. I get the inevitability of little girls' fascination with hearing their own voices.
    What I can't figure out are the women, and sometimes men, who don't grow out of the yelling and screaming stage of childhood, who need to hear their voice at all times, who need their neighbors to notice.
    I regularly get the chance to encounter a few of them, standing around yelling about Bushitler, and people who were arrested for expressing their opinions about killing the President.
    "I don't blame them for being a little bit noisy, but there's a line they cross between being a little bit noisy and being a pain in the ass."
    I thought there was no such thing as "too loud" - especially with hippies. But the Left's literal interpretation of the "right to free speech" and self-appointment as our "press" undercuts careful government indoctrination, membership in a civil society, and even reason
    It's in the Constitution, their thinking goes. They are "peaceably going about their business being loud obnoxious libtards," standing in front of military recruiting stations, the last line of defense against government tyranny and Republicans. We should thank them.

I don't oppose anyone that carries openly...It's just smarter if you carry concealed and it's a win win because no one knows who may have one.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Sonnabend
    Gun defence blog

cCreary County, Kentucky
    From the Lexington Herald-Leader of June 22, 2008
    McCreary man shoots intruder, police say
    Kentucky State Police are investigating a shooting in McCreary County that happened after a 19-year-old Pine Knot man awoke to being assaulted.
    Charles Murphy told police that about 6 a.m. Sunday he woke up to an attack by Rusty L. Hayes, 20, who had entered Murphy's home on Ky. 1651.
    Murphy retrieved a handgun and shot at Hayes, hitting him twice, police said. Hayes was taken to the University of Tennessee Medical Center in Knoxville for treatment.
    No charges have been filed pending completion of the investigation.
    From the Pittsburgh Channel of June 16, 2008
    Female Intruder Shot After Stabbing Spring Hill Woman
    Police are investigating reports that a female intruder was shot in the hand after entering a house in Pittsburgh's Spring Hill section.
    According to police, a woman entered a home in the 100 block of Rhine Place, spraying another woman with Mace before stabbing her, according to a witness.
    The boyfriend of the victim grabbed a gun and shot the intruder in the hand, police said.
    At this time, no other information is available.
    From WJZ of June 11, 2008
    Police: Dry Cleaner Owner Shoots Robber
    Baltimore City Police say a dry cleaner shot a would-be robber Wednesday afternoon.
    It happened at St. Paul Cleaners around 1:45 p.m.
    Police say this is the second time the suspect had attempted to rob the place.
    Police say the suspect was armed with a knife when he came into the shop. The store owner shot the suspect in the hip, arm and leg. He was transported to Shock Trauma where he is expected to survive his injuries.
    But the OpenCarry movement is a mystery to me. What kind of psychology - overcompensation, paranoia, antisocial personality - is behind that thinking?
    Thats easy

"See this? It's a gun. Try and rob or assault me, and I can and will shoot you. Try and harm anyone I care about and I will shoot you. Thinking about stealing my car? Don't..Thinking about purse snatching?... I wouldn't. She is armed too.

Touch my kids? You die."

The word this moron is looking for is DETERRENCE. Open carry means a criminal sees an armed citizen and decides that maybe he better find honest work...he will live longer.
    Last edited by Sonnabend; 06-24-2008 at 11:24 AM.

Power CUer
    I don't care if people carry or not. Here in Northern Virginia people do it to prove that they can, not because there is a real compelling need for it.

A man standing behind my husband at a bank ATM had his gun obviously displayed. It was his right to do so, just as it was my husband's right to change his mind about using the ATM to take out cash at that particular moment.
    Last edited by linda22003; 06-24-2008 at 12:52 PM.