Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Obama puts brake on Afghan surge 
    gator
    PRESIDENT Barack Obama has demanded that American defence chiefs review their strategy in Afghanistan before going ahead with a troop surge.

There is concern among senior Democrats that the military is preparing to send up to 30,000 extra troops without a coherent plan or exit strategy.

The Pentagon was set to announce the deployment of 17,000 extra soldiers and marines last week but Robert Gates, the defence secretary, postponed the decision after questions from Obama.

The president was concerned by a lack of strategy at his first meeting with Gates and the US joint chiefs of staff last month in “the tank”, the secure conference room in the Pentagon. He asked: “What’s the endgame?” and did not receive a convincing answer.

Larry Korb, a defence expert at the Center for American Progress, a Washington think tank, said: “Obama is exactly right. Before he agrees to send 30,000 troops, he wants to know what the mission and the endgame is.”

Obama promised an extra 7,000-10,000 troops during the election campaign but the military has inflated its demands. Leading Democrats fear Afghanistan could become Obama’s “Vietnam quagmire”.

If the surge goes ahead the military intend to limit the mission to fighting the Taliban and Al-Qaeda and leave democracy building and reconstruction to Nato allies and civilians from the State Department and other agencies.

The United States has been pushing Britain to send several thousand more troops but there is just as much disagreement and confusion among British defence chiefs over the long-term aim. Gordon Brown is set to receive a full briefing this week.

General Sir Richard Dannatt, the army chief who will step down this summer, has insisted that troops need a rest and believes he can send only one battlegroup, senior defence sources said.

General Sir David Richards, his successor, believes that the two extra battlegroups the Americans have asked for is the minimum the UK should send, the sources said.
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5683681.ece

Looks like Obama is going to chickenshit out of Afghanistan just like he plans to chickenshit out of Iraq.

By the way, on CU I predicted this would be the end game when the Democrats won the Congress in 2006 but most of the poeple on CU didn't want to hear that.

Looks like Obama is going to chickenshit out of Afghanistan just like he plans to chickenshit out of Iraq.
    Was there ever a doubt?
    OPEACHMENT NOW!!!

Stinger:
    "I was... ordered to drop my pants, bend over and spread my cheeks."
    --RagingInMiami achieving the DUmp's highest level of nirvana

Quote Originally Posted by jinxmchue View Post
    Was there ever a doubt?
    Not for a moment. I feel incredibly sorry for the men and women who have that man as their CIC. America owes the military one hell of an apology.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

gator
    Quote Originally Posted by AlmostThere View Post
    Not for a moment. I feel incredibly sorry for the men and women who have that man as their CIC. America owes the military one hell of an apology.
    The Vietnam veterans never got an apology so what makes you think the WOT vets will get an apology after Obama does the cut and run from Iraq and Afghanistan?

I'm being cautiosly optimistic here and thinking that the Pres. is just using his head. The pipeline that those 30,000 troops where going to be using to get into Afghanistan is being closed. Without Manas AB, it's going to be extremely difficult to get those people and their supplies in there, not to mention getting them back out. Their air support is also going to be severely cut back because the only regional air refueling tankers will be leaving when Manas gets closed as well.

So Obama is right to tell the Pentagon to put the breaks onto this until they can figure out how their going to work it all out. Throwing 30,000 guys into Al Udeid with no way to get into the AOR will just be stupid. Getting them into the AOR without any means to support them will just be stupid.

So lets not jump the gun on this one. Lets see what he decides to do about this before sentencing the man.

He has to stop the U.S. from killing his relatives somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Defiant1 View Post
    He has to stop the U.S. from killing his relatives somehow.

WTF is up with that Avatar?

Well, Iraq and Afghanistan are two different places and require two different strategies. Putting more troops can be offensive and spark more anti-American sentiment and there are other ways to work for peace. I read a good Time article (yeah, yeah, tell me about the bias) earlier this week on this very thing...written back in July, before the Obama talk of doing this.

Check out this lengthy, but good, article.
    "Because we're a great nation, our challenges seem complex; it will always be this way. But as long as we remember our first principals and believe in ourselves, the future will always be ours." -Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by AHeneen View Post
    Well, Iraq and Afghanistan are two different places and require two different strategies. Putting more troops can be offensive and spark more anti-American sentiment and there are other ways to work for peace. I read a good Time article (yeah, yeah, tell me about the bias) earlier this week on this very thing...written back in July, before the Obama talk of doing this.

Check out this lengthy, but good, article.
    The Times isn't exactly know for it's fair reporting, but once in awhile somebody there actually does their job. I am not optimistic about using "peaceful" methods in Iraq or Afghanistan...terrorist know nothing else but killing and hating America.

When Obama was shooting his mouth off about a troop surge in Afghanistan, he kept saying that he had a plan. That's what he told the people and now all of a sudden he comes out and says they don't have an exit strategy??? Guess ZERO found out the WOT isn't like playing army in the backyard with your school friends.

The Kyrgyzstan governement threw a major curve ball at the administration, but I think they are just trying to squeeze as much money as they can. If they kick the US out, ALL foreign aid to this country should cease.

Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    The Vietnam veterans never got an apology so what makes you think the WOT vets will get an apology after Obama does the cut and run from Iraq and Afghanistan?
    The WOT vets won't get any more an apology than the Vietnam vets got. America still owes them both one, regardless.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.