Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Italy faces constitutional crisis over coma woman 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    The Italian government has been plunged into a constitutional crisis over the fate of a 38-year-old woman who has been in a coma for the past 17 years. Eluana Englaro was left in a vegetative state after a car crash in 1992. After a decade-long court battle, doctors reduced her nutrition on Friday in preparation for removing her feeding tubes, which her father claims would be in accordance with her wishes.

But in an extraordinary turn of events, the country's prime minister, Silvio Berlusconi, after consultation with the Vatican, has issued an emergency decree stating that food and water cannot be suspended for any patient depending upon them, reversing the earlier court ruling. On issuing the emergency decree, Berlusconi declared: "This is murder. I would be failing to rescue her. I'm not a Pontius Pilate."

Justifying his campaign to save Englaro's life, the prime minister added that, physically at least, she was "in the condition to have babies", a remark described by La Stampa newspaper as "shocking". Giorgio Napolitano, Italy's president, has refused to sign the decree, but if it is ratified by the Italian parliament doctors may be obliged to resume the feeding of Eluana early this week.
    snip

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009...-italy-vatican

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    The Italian government has been plunged into a constitutional crisis over the fate of a 38-year-old woman who has been in a coma for the past 17 years. Eluana Englaro was left in a vegetative state after a car crash in 1992. After a decade-long court battle, doctors reduced her nutrition on Friday in preparation for removing her feeding tubes, which her father claims would be in accordance with her wishes.

But in an extraordinary turn of events, the country's prime minister, Silvio Berlusconi, after consultation with the Vatican, has issued an emergency decree stating that food and water cannot be suspended for any patient depending upon them, reversing the earlier court ruling. On issuing the emergency decree, Berlusconi declared: "This is murder. I would be failing to rescue her. I'm not a Pontius Pilate."

Justifying his campaign to save Englaro's life, the prime minister added that, physically at least, she was "in the condition to have babies", a remark described by La Stampa newspaper as "shocking". Giorgio Napolitano, Italy's president, has refused to sign the decree, but if it is ratified by the Italian parliament doctors may be obliged to resume the feeding of Eluana early this week.
    snip

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009...-italy-vatican
    She should be allowed to die naturally. She's in a long term state where she can't feed herself nor ask for food. She should have been allowed to pass away along time ago.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    She should be allowed to die naturally. She's in a long term state where she can't feed herself nor ask for food. She should have been allowed to pass away along time ago.
    I did not expect that position from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post
    What is the point of living if there is no life to be had? Honestly. Why prolong the pain and suffering of her loved ones in futile hopes? 17 years have gone by, that woman is never going to awaken. Her brain is mush now and the only reason she is alive is because of the machines.

Even looking at it from a religious stand point, what is the point of keeping her shell of a body alive? She will never awaken, never "live" again, so why hold her back from passing on to the after life?

Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post
    I am not for assisted suicide or anything like that, but the woman is dead whether her body knows it or not. Her soul has probably gone to where ever souls go and has been their for a long time now. All she is now is a memorial to a life lost that her loved ones pay homage too. It is sad for her and them and if they can finally let her go the state should just stay out of it. I felt the same way about Terry Schiavo and for many of the same reasons.
    Last edited by FlaGator; 02-08-2009 at 10:15 PM.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Reminds me of the Terri Schiavo case.
    "Because we're a great nation, our challenges seem complex; it will always be this way. But as long as we remember our first principals and believe in ourselves, the future will always be ours." -Reagan

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by AHeneen View Post
    Reminds me of the Terri Schiavo case.
    Yes. What a circus that turned into. :(

"Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    What is the point of living if there is no life to be had? Honestly. Why prolong the pain and suffering of her loved ones in futile hopes? 17 years have gone by, that woman is never going to awaken. Her brain is mush now and the only reason she is alive is because of the machines.

Even looking at it from a religious stand point, what is the point of keeping her shell of a body alive? She will never awaken, never "live" again, so why hold her back from passing on to the after life?
    People have come out of very long comas before Sarah Scantlin was in a non-responsive coma like state for 20 years, until she eventually regained awareness. Linky

A man in Poland came out of a 20 year coma in 2007 (what a culture shock!) Link

It is admittedly a long shot for her wake up, but it is not impossible, and as far as I know, the only "life support" she is on is water and nutrition, which means that her body is still functioning, but she is unable to take in her own food and water. It is different if a person's heart is no longer beating on its own, or if they can no longer breathe on their own.

Patent Member
    Similar to the Terri Schiavo case, I think classifying food and water as "life sustaining treatment" that can be revoked at the whim of society is a terrible idea.

If she had a machine to keep her blood pumping or allowing her to breathe, it would be a very different story.

Depriving a person of food and water is a very cruel way to kill someone.

Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post
    Similar to the Terri Schiavo case, I think classifying food and water as "life sustaining treatment" that can be revoked at the whim of society is a terrible idea.

If she had a machine to keep her blood pumping or allowing her to breathe, it would be a very different story.

Depriving a person of food and water is a very cruel way to kill someone.
    I suspect that being in a coma they are not aware of what is happening.

What would you want if it were you?

C. S. Lewis