Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1 Fmr. Pres. Khatami to run again, has 'good chance' of usurping Ahmadinejad 
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    793
    Some of the best news I've heard for quite some time. While the man is critical of current US policies towards Iran, he's much less hostile, not anti-Semitic, much more open-minded, committed to "break[ing] down barriers between the great religions and civilisations of East and West", and a strong denouncer of extremism.

    Iran's Khatami to run for office
    From the BBC



    Iran's former president Mohammad Khatami has ended months of speculation by announcing that he will run in June's presidential election.
    Mr Khatami was president of Iran from 1997-2005 and was succeeded by Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, a conservative.
    "I will seriously take part as a candidate for the election," he told a meeting of a pro-reform group.
    In January, a close aide to Mr Ahmadinejad said the incumbent would, as expected, stand for re-election.
    Mr Khatami, the most liberal president since the revolution, should have a good chance of unseating Mr Ahmadinejad, arguably the most conservative leader in that time, says the BBC's Jon Leyne, in Tehran.
    However, he will face tough opposition from hardliners in the clergy and military, our correspondent adds.
    Mr Khatami urged a free election, saying the fate of the Islamic Revolution was at stake.
    "Is it possible to remain indifferent toward the revolution's fate and shy away from running in the elections?" he asked at a news conference in Tehran.
    "I consider this as a right to run in this stage. This candidacy doesn't deprive others and the path is open. What should be stressed is that the elections must be held freely."

    'Desire for change'

    It should prove an intriguing contest in June, our correspondent says.
    In this 30th anniversary year of the revolution, it will give Iranians a stark choice over the future of the Islamic Republic.
    One other obstacle for Mr Khatami, Jon Leyne adds, is that his old supporters were disillusioned by his failure to push through more changes when he was in power.
    Therefore, the challenge will be persuading them to go out and vote.
    Mohammad Ali Abtahi, a close aide of Mr Khatami, warned that the results of elections in Iran were always of "serious concern" - an apparent reference to vote-rigging.
    "But if the voter participation is high, we can easily win the election," he told AFP news agency.
    Read his profile here.
    Last edited by Gingersnap; 02-09-2009 at 09:29 AM.
    "Because we're a great nation, our challenges seem complex; it will always be this way. But as long as we remember our first principals and believe in ourselves, the future will always be ours." -Reagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,301
    Khatami good??

    Compared to Ahmadinajhad, perhaps, but he still favored tons of aid to terrorist groups and continued nuclear research. Khatami being good is merely a relative point.

    We can encourage the better tone, but we still need to be aware that he is not really a good man.
    Last edited by Constitutionally Speaking; 02-09-2009 at 06:03 AM.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Constitutionally Speaking View Post
    Khatami good??

    Compared to Ahmadinajhad, perhaps, but he still favored tons of aid to terrorist groups and continued nuclear research. Khatami being good is merely a relative point.

    We can encourage the better tone, but we still need to be aware that he is not really a good man.
    The BBC profile is a whitewash. He cannot run unless he is approved as a candidate by the Council of Guardians, so his reform credentials are already suspect (see below for the whole story on the Council of Guardians). He's more moderate in tone than Ahmedinejad, but that's the only difference. He never pushed for the reforms that he campaigned for, and on his watch, Iran's nuclear program and repression of dissidents continued unabated.

    The doctrine of Guardianship of the Islamic Jurists (Velayat-e Faqih) used to be interpreted as a limited supervision which applied to non-litigious matters including religious endowments, judicial matters and public property, but Khomeini expanded the definition to include all issues that are touched on by the Koran, Sharia law, the Sunnah and the Hadith. In a nutshell, what had been a policy of assuming responsibility for widows, orphans or the mentally ill, has become a policy of assuming that the entire state is incapable of governing itself and must be run by Imams who have the power to overrule the democratic impulses of the people or their representatives. If Khatami is elected, he will still be subject to the dictates of the Council of Guardians, just as Ahmedinejad and every other Iranian elected official, and they aren't about to allow their power to be reduced by reforms.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,578
    I am sorry anyone that wares a turban like that guy cant be good for American interests :(:D
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars1701a View Post
    I am sorry anyone that wares a turban like that guy cant be good for American interests :(:D
    Unless they're Sihks. Good people.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    755
    When 9/11 happened, this man provided support to the US in providing intelligence and condolences. A while later Bush made the axis of evil speech, and demanded elections all over the middle east. Ahmadinejad rose to power in Iran, the Muslim Broterhood in Egypt and Hamas in Palestine. Khatami on his US tours of colleges has condemned US actions but has praised democracy in general. If not for Thatcher and Reagan deciding they could work with Gorbachev, we could still be going down that never ending cold path.

    Hes obviously looking out for the interests of Iran and keeping the council happy, but hes a heck of a lot better then whats there now, increased spot light on the supreme councils power in regard to democractically elected officials in Iran can't be a bad thing.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Unless they're Sihks. Good people.

    Not really they are taking over all our gas stations and dunkin donuts stores :( :D


    joking aside thats a different type of turban (if its one at all).
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post
    When 9/11 happened, this man provided support to the US in providing intelligence and condolences. A while later Bush made the axis of evil speech, and demanded elections all over the middle east. Ahmadinejad rose to power in Iran, the Muslim Broterhood in Egypt and Hamas in Palestine. Khatami on his US tours of colleges has condemned US actions but has praised democracy in general. If not for Thatcher and Reagan deciding they could work with Gorbachev, we could still be going down that never ending cold path.
    First, he can say what he likes about democracy, but his actions show that his reform talk is just that. Second, Reagan and Thatcher didn't work with Gorbachev, they beat him like a pinata by forcing the Soviets to try to keep up with SDI, guaranteeing the security of the Saudis in return for increased oil production (our economy boomed, the Soviets' collapsed as their one hard currency export dropped like a stone) and stood firm in supporting the Soviet dissidents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post
    Hes obviously looking out for the interests of Iran and keeping the council happy, but hes a heck of a lot better then whats there now, increased spot light on the supreme councils power in regard to democractically elected officials in Iran can't be a bad thing.
    He's the revolution's moderate face, but it's only a facade. Those who would really reform the system, by subjecting the Council of Guardians to a vote, are never allowed on the ballot. Don't be fooled by Potemkin democracy.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    First, he can say what he likes about democracy, but his actions show that his reform talk is just that. Second, Reagan and Thatcher didn't work with Gorbachev, they beat him like a pinata by forcing the Soviets to try to keep up with SDI, guaranteeing the security of the Saudis in return for increased oil production (our economy boomed, the Soviets' collapsed as their one hard currency export dropped like a stone) and stood firm in supporting the Soviet dissidents.
    I believe Thatcher called Reagan and called Gorbachev "a man we could work with" after a speech on opening markets up. Thatcher and Reagan didn't talk all mean and blow your house down to any degree above normality during the cold war, angry "stances" don't tend to do much to persuade Russian leaders to do much. Gorbachev saw that his country needed to change and he put the ball in motion. I believe the case is the same with Iran.

    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    He's the revolution's moderate face, but it's only a facade. Those who would really reform the system, by subjecting the Council of Guardians to a vote, are never allowed on the ballot. Don't be fooled by Potemkin democracy.
    I prefer the moderate face to the Ahmadinejad "holocaust never happened" face. Hes someone who'll actually get on the ballot rather than in the other direction of another Ahmadinejad term or depending on if more pressure is piled on the country - an even crazier face.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Bleda
    Guest
    The Soviets were sane but evil. The Iranians are insane religious fanatics.

    'Nuff said.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •