Hybrid View

1. #1 Internet Loans For Gastric Bypass Operations. 
    Online loans are a new way to pay for gastric bypass
    Those seeking gastric bypass, often not covered by insurance, turn to Web

By LESLIE CASIMIR
    Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

A few weeks ago at work, as Cassandra Nichols tried to climb a flight of stairs, she had trouble breathing. Obese for years, she now weighs almost 300 pounds and fears for her future.

"I don't want to die," said Nichols, a 24-year-old showing signs of Type 2 diabetes. "I need to lose this weight."

A candidate for gastric bypass surgery, Nichols, a caseworker for the state's Child Protective Services, can't get Texas' health insurance plan to cover the surgery. Her insurance considers the procedure an elective, she said.

Now desperate, Nichols has turned to an unlikely place to help pay for the surgery: an Internet loan.

And she's not alone. It's a new option growing in popularity for many morbidly obese adults some of whom are getting into debt by self-financing their bariatric surgeries, which cost roughly $25,000.

Nichols has applied on numerous Web sites carecredit.com and SurgeryLoans.com for high-interest surgery loans. But with an annual salary of about $30,000, she's having a hard time getting approved for the total amount.

"It's a sacrifice that I have to make," said Nichols, who lives in northwest Houston. "No one else can help me."
    I'm not sure how I feel about this. A lot of bypass patients remain overweight or even obese after the honeymoon period is over.

Houston Chron

Power CUer
    Apparently there is a high percentage of recidivism. :(

It would be pretty awful to still be making payments on the operation loan if you were one of the ones who experienced regain.

Power CUer
    The article said one woman had had the surgery at 232# and is now 154#. 232 is certainly heavy, but I'm surprised it's heavy enough to qualify. Maybe what used to be a true "last resort" is now done on people who are not as heavy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    The article said one woman had had the surgery at 232# and is now 154#. 232 is certainly heavy, but I'm surprised it's heavy enough to qualify. Maybe what used to be a true "last resort" is now done on people who are not as heavy.
    If you are only 5 feet tall and weigh 232#, you almost have to go thru a door sideway cause your ass is so big. :eek:

Patent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    It would be pretty awful to still be making payments on the operation loan if you were one of the ones who experienced regain.
    There's a reason why doctors have a fairly intensive procedure for determining who to operate on. The surgery is dangerous and only those who show a commitment towards losing weight are eligible.

Further, gastric bypass is not a miracle cure, it is a treatment option. People who regain weight don't "experience regain," they fail to stick to the program and gain the weight back. It is no different than a liver transplant patient complaining about the effectiveness of the surgery when he re-developes cirrhosis after drinking too much.

Banned
    A CU member, don't remember his or her name, went to Mexico and had the surgery done for around $10k

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    A CU member, don't remember his or her name, went to Mexico and had the surgery done for around $10k
    DU Tinfoilwholesaler.