1. #1 State Tries To Steal Gift Card Money From Consumers. 
    Bill Would Give State Unused Gift Card Money

POSTED: 4:08 pm EST February 5, 2009
    UPDATED: 4:12 pm EST February 5, 2009

ANNAPOLIS, Md. -- Annapolis lawmakers are introducing a bill that would allow for the collection of money from unspent gift cards to put into the state treasury.

Nationally, gift cards are a $59 billion industry. Experts estimate that 6 percent of gift cards go unspent in Maryland. The bill would allow the state to claim 70 percent of that unused money and use the cash to fund education.

"To me, this is a no-brainer. If you haven't used your gift card for four years, you are not going to use it, and why can't we share? The bill states we keep 70 percent of it, and retailers keep 30 percent," said Delegate Joseline Pena-Melnyk, D-Anne Arundel and Prince George's counties.

Thirty-two states have a similar law. Some of them keep 100 percent of the unspent gift card money, 11 News reporter David Collins said. But state retailers, grocers and the hospitality industry oppose the measure.

"The money belongs to the person. It doesn't belong to the state. It is sort of an indirect taxation -- this bill. This was money that was given to somebody, and if they choose not to spend it in a certain time period, it's still their money," said lobbyist Bruce Bereano.

International consulting firm Towergroup noted in a report that retailers don't generate revenue from gift cards until they are used or declared dormant. However, the money used to purchase the cards generates interest for the business.

The report cited Best Buy as an example. It said the store moved $39 million from liability to income in 2005 due to unredeemed gift cards.

Critics of the legislation are contending that as the bill is written, Maryland retailers wouldn't even get a 30 percent stake. The legal term is called escheat, meaning handing over property to the state.
    They aren't even pretending anymore. :mad:

Stealing

Power CUer
    I thought most retailers just canceled them after a certain amount of time.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I thought most retailers just canceled them after a certain amount of time.
    They do but I expect the thieving politicians will attempt to prevent that option.

Shouldn't that money belong to the retailer? Or if they're going to divy it out...why not to the public at large in a tax rebate?
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    They do but I expect the thieving politicians will attempt to prevent that option.
    There goes the "build a bear" certificate my husband gave me about ten years ago.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    They aren't even pretending anymore. :mad:

Stealing
    This is RIDICULOUS! That money belongs to the person who has the gift card. The state has no way of claiming ownership in any just way, so they want to do it by fiat?:mad:

"To me, this is a no-brainer. If you haven't used your gift card for four years, you are not going to use it, and why can't we share?
    Yup, proposing such an idea is a no brainer, congratulations, you've taken the first step in recovery, admitting you have a problem. If you hurry, you may get through the other 11 steps in time to have a shot at re election.
    Romans 6:18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

Differences between Obama and God: God's plan to save us is actually written down for people to read. Rush Limbaugh.

My blog: How Things Look From Here Politics, religion, random stuff, now on Wednesdays!

"To me, this is a no-brainer. If you haven't used your gift card for four years, you are not going to use it, and why can't we share?

I've got a better idea, Joseline...

Why don't you surrender your position and we can have your salary split amongst other representatives who actually have a brain?
    Nothing says "idiot inside" better than an Obama/Biden bumper sticker.