1. #1 Christian Encyclopedia "Too Christian". 
    Academic publisher suspends publication of ‘too Christian’ encyclopedia

CNA STAFF, Feb 12, 2009 / 03:37 am (CNA).- The scholarly publisher Blackwell is being accused of censorship for suspending the publication of the “too Christian” Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization and seeking to destroy existing copies pending a full revision of the text. The encyclopedia’s Editor-in-Chief is filing two lawsuits against the company to require the encyclopedia be published without removing its “Christian content, tone and character.”

George Thomas Kurian, Editor-in-Chief of the Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization (ECC), has circulated a letter protesting Blackwell’s actions, which he calls a “looming crisis” in the publication of the work.

According to Kurian, the ECC was completed in 2008 a year ahead of schedule and in four volumes instead of the original three.

“It was edited, copyedited, fact checked, proofread and finally approved by Blackwell’s editorial team,” he wrote, saying the completed work was launched at the American Academy of Religion and the Society of Biblical Literature where it received “high praise.”

Kurian said the EEC was “lauded and praised” by Miami University Prof. Edwin Yamauchi and Notre Dame Prof. Mark Noll.

(snip)

According to Kurian, they did so “just because there are a dozen references to which they do not subscribe and which ran counter to their philosophy and agenda.”

Kurian said that Carpenter and Harkin want to delete words or passages such as “Antichrist,” “Beloved Disciple,” “Virgin Birth,” “Resurrection,” “Evangelism,” the chronological markers BC/AD, and any reference with an “evangelical tone” or a tone citing the “uniqueness of Christ and Christianity.”

He further claimed that the two objected to historical references to the persecution and massacres of Christians by Muslims, also asking for references favorable to Islam and material denigrating Christianity.

“All these I have refused to do,” Kurian said.

His letter announced a class action suit against Wiley-Blackwell will be filed on behalf of the ECC’s nearly 400 contributors. If successful, the suit will require Wiley-Blackwell to publish the book “as originally approved and printed, without change and without censorship of its Christian content, tone and character.”

Susan Spilka of Blackwell’s parent company John Wiley & Sons, Inc. responded to Kurian’s allegations in a statement, claiming that concern about the content of the ECC had been raised in November 2008 prior to publication. Blackwell stated that the review was prompted by concern for its “leading reputation as a publisher of high quality scholarly content.”
    End Days Alert.

CNA

I would expect a book called Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization to be pretty biased toward the Christian faith and not some secular clap trap garbage.
    He further claimed that the two objected to historical references to the persecution and massacres of Christians by Muslims, also asking for references favorable to Islam and material denigrating Christianity.
    Now for the rest of the story and reason the publisher caved!
    "If every poor man is to come here and start requesting money for all his children, the applicants will never be satisfied and the nation's finances will collapse." Emperor Tiberius: Tacitus:Annals

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    the Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization board

Editorial Board
    Editor in chief
    George Thomas Kurian
    Encyclopedia Society
    Box 519 Baldwin Place NY 10505 USA
    Phone: 914 962 3287
    e-mail: gtkurian@aol.com

Associate Editor
    Mark E. Roberts

The Editorial Board is made up of a team of internationally recognized scholars who are leading figures in their areas. They are:

George Giacumakis, California State University, Irvine
    Alvin Schmidt, Emeritus Professor of Sociology at Illinois College.
    Scott Sunquist, Pittsburgh Theological Seminary
    Frederick Norris, Emmanuel School of Religion
    Bernard McGinn, University of Chicago
    Fergus Kerr, Regent, Blackfriars; and Edinburgh University
    Blackwell Publishing
    Rebecca Harkin
    Publisher, Religion
    Blackwell Publishing
    9600 Garsington Road
    Oxford UK OX4 2DQ
    Phone: (+44) 1865 476682
    e-mail: rebecca.harkin@oxon.blackwellpublishing.com
    According to Kurian, they did so “just because there are a dozen references to which they do not subscribe and which ran counter to their philosophy and agenda.”

Kurian said that Carpenter and Harkin (Blackwell) want to delete words or passages such as “Antichrist,” “Beloved Disciple,” “Virgin Birth,” “Resurrection,” “Evangelism,” the chronological markers BC/AD, and any reference with an “evangelical tone” or a tone citing the “uniqueness of Christ and Christianity.”

“All these I have refused to do,” Kurian said.
    Kurian claimed that some members of the ECC editorial board determined that the encyclopedia’s introduction and many of the entries were “too Christian, too orthodox, too anti-secular and too anti-Muslim and not politically correct enough for being used in universities.”

He alleged that “under mounting pressure from the powerful anti-Christian lobby” Blackwell Religion publisher Rebecca Harkin and Editorial Director Phillip Carpenter agreed with the critics’ assessment, suspended publication of the ECC, and began proceedings to pulp the entire edition of several thousand copies of the four-volume ECC set.
    Blackwells complaint :
    Too anti-secular and too anti-Muslim and not politically correct enough for being used in universities.”

Academic Publisher Nixes Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization for Being too Christian .
    http://www.ewtn.com/vnews/getstory.asp?number=93693
    http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/a...christian.html
    Kurian claimed that some members of the ECC editorial board determined that the encyclopedia’s introduction and many of the entries were “too Christian, too orthodox, too anti-secular and too anti-Muslim and not politically correct enough for being used in universities.”
    He alleged that “under mounting pressure from the powerful anti-Christian lobby” Blackwell Religion publisher Rebecca Harkin and Editorial Director Phillip Carpenter agreed with the critics’ assessment, suspended publication of the ECC, and began proceedings to pulp the entire edition of several thousand copies of the four-volume ECC set.
    http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/a...christian.html
    Comments:

Reader Andrew sent me this:
    Thanks for making the post about the "too Christian" rejection by Blackwell Publishers.
    I go to Hartford Seminary, and Hartford Seminary published their journal, The Muslim World, through Blackwell.

Blackwell is very pro-Moslem, and sometimes nasty to Christians. As an example, the Muslim World journal, which used to be a major source for Christian missionaries to express arguments against Islam and for Christianity as well as western civilization, has completely reversed.

It's now chaired by Dr. Yahya Michot (a.k.a. Nasreddin Lebaltier- look up his name online),
    (http://macdonald.hartsem.edu/Michot.html) who is very anti-Christian (I know- I had class with him).

It also has very close ties to Dr. Ingrid Mattson, ISNA president and Hamas operative.
    (I also had class with her)--http://www.hartsem.edu/faculty/mattson.htm.

Blackwell has become essentially a Moslem-sympathist publisher, and I'm afraid from my standpoint in Islamic Studies, it's only time before it's a Moslem publishing house.

Last edited by megimoo; 02-12-2009 at 10:17 PM.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Are you fucking kidding me? Unreal.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Are you fucking kidding me? Unreal.
    The Mussies are on the move to dominate the world by rewriting history !

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    The Mussies are on the move to dominate the world by rewriting history !
    At this rate, they will succeed.:eek:
    "If every poor man is to come here and start requesting money for all his children, the applicants will never be satisfied and the nation's finances will collapse." Emperor Tiberius: Tacitus:Annals

Quote Originally Posted by tacitus View Post
    At this rate, they will succeed.:eek:
    I expect nothing less from the Politically Correct crowd. They will do what ever they have to in order to surpress the Word and the history of the Word. It doesn't matter, someone else will publish if they balk at it.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis