Hybrid View

1. #1 Anytime Midnight Onion Soup . 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    This is a much more digestible version than some others, in part because chicken stock, rather than beef broth, is used.

All over, the recipe is a bit lighter than the usual- but don't worry, you won't be hungry. It suited me, as I had a supply of homemade chicken stock, but no beef stock. I only adapted it slightly, to suit myself. I'm not going to be saving it for midnight. It's awfully good - and this is how you do it.

You Will Need:
    3lbs onions, peeled and sliced very thinly
    6 tbspoons unsalted butter
    3 tbsps canola oil
    1 tsp sea salt
    4 tbsps flour
    3 cups rich homemade chicken broth and jellied juice from a roast chicken, if you have it
    2/3 cup dry white wine (any dry good one)
    freshly ground pepper
    sprigs of thyme and 2 bay leaves, which I put in my recently acquired large stainless teaball for easy removal
    thin slices of toasted good bread ( pref. the sort with a chewy interior ) 2/3 lb of freshly grated gruyere, best you can afford

...........This is what you do:
    Melt butter in a big soup pot. Add oil, onions, salt. Cook,
    stirring, over a low heat until onions are soft, but not browned. Sprinkle with the flour, and stir to coat.
    Add stock, wine and a quart of water, pepper and herbs in tea ball. Bring to a boil, turn down, and simmer gently, uncovered for half an hour. correct seasoning.

When you are ready to serve, preheat the broiler. Ladle soup into individual heatroof bowls. Top each with toasted slice of bread, and plently of grated gruyere. Broil. When the cheese is clearly bubbling, remove and serve, with warnings to watch for burning. This is incredibly hot, as soup should be. It is pretty important to use very nice stock and cheese, which can make all the difference.
    I happened to have some onions from my farmbox as well, which were lovely and crisply fresh.

I believe that both onions and chicken soup are good for the treatment of colds. I feel quite well treated.
    Last edited by megimoo; 06-27-2008 at 11:48 AM.