Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 House Approves Final $787B Stimulus Bill 

WASHINGTON - The House on Friday passed the final version of a $787 billion economic stimulus plan aimed at jolting the slumping U.S. economy, setting up a vote in the Senate expected later in the day.

The measure was passed 246-183, with no Republican "yes" votes and one member voting present.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid predicted that Congress will finish its work possibly by day's end, giving President Obama a big victory.

link
    Last edited by Gingersnap; 02-13-2009 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bijou View Post
    WASHINGTON - The House on Friday passed the final version of a $787 billion economic stimulus plan aimed at jolting the slumping U.S. economy, setting up a vote in the Senate expected later in the day.

The measure was passed 246-183, with no Republican "yes" votes and one member voting present.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid predicted that Congress will finish its work possibly by day's end, giving President Obama a big victory.

link
    32 votes and it wouldn't have passed. Not a mandate in my book.

I am really glad that the Republicans stood firm and didn't vote yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Rose View Post
    I am really glad that the Republicans stood firm and didn't vote yes.
    Wish the Senate Republicans would learn a lesson from their house counterparts.

All we need is 1-2 Senators to wise up and vote no for this ridiculious bill. It would be great if
    everyone flooded the phone and fax lines to put more pressure them, especially the three RINO's. I'm not giving up yet.

http://www.senate.gov/general/contac...m.cfm?State=TN
    “To the wrongs that need resistance, To the right that needs assistance, To the future in the distance, Give yourselves.”
    -Carrie Chapman Catt

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Wish the Senate Republicans would learn a lesson from their house counterparts.
    The three "moderates" have been in this position for a while now, but because the GOP was in power their votes didn't matter. While I don't like their positions I at least admire how they're consistent, if Bush was presenting this package I think most of the GOP senators would have backed it, small government while you're out of power and all that.

Maybe this time they mean it?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post
    The three "moderates" have been in this position for a while now, but because the GOP was in power their votes didn't matter. While I don't like their positions I at least admire how they're consistent, if Bush was presenting this package I think most of the GOP senators would have backed it, small government while you're out of power and all that.

Maybe this time they mean it?
    The three are RINO's not moderates; fact. For 8 years Bush and the Repubs spent like drunken sailors. FYI, no one has read or knows what is in the bill. So, someone that votes blind in the dark is not an admiral quality in my opinion. You may be right on your assertion that the majority of Repub would have voted for this bill. However, the Democrats lied when they said they would give everyone a chance to read it and would wait 48 hours. The Repubs would have at least done that. Do you see the difference? Public opinion could have possibly swayed these three senators if this had not been a rushed up bill. BTW, when the government hits you in the pocketbook along with the other social programs in this bill, you can look back and admire those 3 senators that voted for this abortion. A few more trillion dollars in debt is no big deal either. :eek:

I heard seven democrats didn't vote for it and the limp dick that voted present was a dem from Illinois named Dan Lipinski. Lipinski said he didn't like the bill, so WTF didn't he just vote no???

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    The three are RINO's not moderates; fact. For 8 years Bush and the Repubs spent like drunken sailors. FYI, no one has read or knows what is in the bill. So, someone that votes blind in the dark is not an admiral quality in my opinion. You may be right on your assertion that the majority of Repub would have voted for this bill. However, the Democrats lied when they said they would give everyone a chance to read it and would wait 48 hours. The Repubs would have at least done that. Do you see the difference? Public opinion could have possibly swayed these three senators if this had not been a rushed up bill. BTW, when the government hits you in the pocketbook along with the other social programs in this bill, you can look back and admire those 3 senators that voted for this abortion. A few more trillion dollars in debt is no big deal either. :eek:
    What makes them different is that they voted how they'd vote if Bush was president, otherwise the stimulus is the biggest piece of crap I've ever seen.

By the way, most senators and congress voted for the patriot act without reading it, citing not enough time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post
    What makes them different is that they voted how they'd vote if Bush was president, otherwise the stimulus is the biggest piece of crap I've ever seen.

By the way, most senators and congress voted for the patriot act without reading it, citing not enough time.
    You must be a mind reader if you know how they would vote if Bush was President so that fairy tale of yours is irrelevant. I really don't give a crap what the motives of the 3 RINO's are. BTW, members of Congress had more than 48 hours to read the Patriot Act. If they did not read it, that is their fault. I guess you are too stupid to understand the difference between giving members the opportunity to read the bill and not giving them the opportunity to read it. Another tid bit is that the Patriot Act did not cost billions of $$$$$ nor did it contain 1,100 pages; the stimulus bill is the most costly in the history of mankind. Like I said, you can admire Snow, Collins and Specter to the hilt while this socalistic bill will bust your balls.