Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 How widespread is the "Fox News Default" at Holiday Inns & other hotels? 
    Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Oregonian(1000+ posts)
    Mon Jun-23-08 1:11 PM
    Original message
    How widespread is the "Fox News Default" at Holiday Inns & other hotels?

I recently stayed at a Holiday Inn Express here in Oregon. If you turned the room TV on, it would go to Fox News, no matter what channel had been on when you last turned it off. Also, in the hotel's breakfast room, where guests eat the "free" morning meal, the TV was on and tuned to Murdoch's all-propaganda channel.

I'm guessing Fox throws a little $$ to the Holiday Inn Corp. for this Orwellian policy. Has anyone else looked into this? I'm wondering if this is Holiday Inn's policy nationwide, or just in certain hotels. I'd like to contact the Holiday Inn public relations people, but I need more information first. Thanks.
    I'd like to thank everyone for participating in the "default all public TV's to Fox News Channel". The efforts have been a success, as it is pissing off all the DUmmies who are able to stay in hotels during this horrible Bush economy.

Power CUer
    If they stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, they'd become smart enough to change the channel!

I love these kinds of threads, but I have to call "bullshit" on this. I've been to many hotels in my life and never, ever have I seen a TV set to a "default channel" when it comes on.

Power CUer
    The only things I've seen the TV default to are either the hotel welcome screen, or trailers for in-room movies.

Patent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxmchue View Post
    I love these kinds of threads, but I have to call "bullshit" on this. I've been to many hotels in my life and never, ever have I seen a TV set to a "default channel" when it comes on.
    No kidding. Most of them turn on to the hotel's advertising channel, asking you to buy a single viewing of a straight-to-DVD movie for $15.

BSR
    Alright, this one is going to be a freebie for you DUmmy.

Some TVs when turned off, default to their lowest channel available. Now, if Fox News is set on channel 2 then everytime you turn off the TV then turn it on Fox News will be there.

Now if you want me to teach you how to wipe your ass or tie your shoes, The lessons will cost you..
    Last edited by BSR; 06-23-2008 at 02:26 PM.

BSR
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    The only things I've seen the TV default to are either the hotel welcome screen, or trailers for in-room movies.

I stayed in a hotel a week ago (Hilton) and the hotel channels were on the higher channels. They had the weather channel as the default here.

BSR
    Iris (1000+ posts) Mon Jun-23-08 02:19 PM
    Response to Original message
    16. Complain anyway. You don't need more information. The fact that you were offended is enough.

They should put this on a bumper sticker they say it so much..

:D
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    I'd like to thank everyone for participating in the "default all public TV's to Fox News Channel". The efforts have been a success, as it is pissing off all the DUmmies who are able to stay in hotels during this horrible Bush economy.

Don't know...I'm more of a Courtyard By Marriott type...

I'm surprised he isn't using a hourly motel

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Vegas View Post
    Alright, this one is going to be a freebie for you DUmmy.

Some TVs when turned off, default to their lowest channel available. Now, if Fox News is set on channel 2 then everytime you turn off the TV then turn it on Fox News will be there.

Now if you want me to teach you how to wipe your ass or tie your shoes, The lessons will cost you..
    I don't think most of them do either.