Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Time for potato salad recipes 
    Two crashes ago we had a super recipe thread on potato salad. I learned from that to print them, as they're now forever gone. Here's one that didn't sound too bad, but not as good as the long gone recipe from Chieftain, who formerly posted here.

Warm Sausage and Potato Salad
    Source: Quick from Scratch - Soups and Salads
    Serves 4
    For this French-style potato salad, toss the warm potatoes with broth or wine so they absorb the flavor of the liquid. If you can get a delicious French garlic sausage, this would be a great place to use it.

Click here to hide image
    RECIPE INGREDIENTS

For the Potatoes:
    1 pound boiling potatoes (about 3), peeled, halved lengthwise, and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
    3 tablespoons canned low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
    1/2 teaspoon salt

For the Dressing:
    2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    1 1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar or white wine vinegar
    1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
    1/3 cup olive oil

For the Sausages:
    1/2 pound smoked sausage, such as kielbasa (sausage) , quartered lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

1 large head romaine lettuce, shredded (about 2 quarts)

RECIPE METHOD

FOR THE POTATOES:
    Put the potatoes in a medium saucepan of salted water. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are just tender, about 5 minutes. Drain the potatoes and put them in a glass or stainless-steel bowl. Add the chicken broth and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt to the warm potatoes and toss gently.

FOR THE DRESSING:
    Meanwhile, in a large glass or stainless-steel bowl, whisk together the mustard, vinegar, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and the pepper. Add the oil slowly, whisking.

FOR THE SAUSAGES:
    Put a large nonstick frying pan over moderate heat. Add the smoked sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sausage is brown and warmed through, about 3 minutes. Remove the sausage and drain on paper towels.

TO SERVE:
    Toss the potatoes with 2 tablespoons of the dressing and the parsley. Toss the romaine into the remaining dressing. Put the lettuce on plates and top with the potatoes and sausage.

WINE RECOMMENDATION:
    The French often serve a simple and straightforward, fresh and fruity Beaujolais with smoked sausage and potato salad. Who are we to argue?

Recipe reprinted by permission of Food and Wine. All rights reserved.

New to Cooking.com - Click Here to Rate and Review this Recipe
    Nutrition FactsServes 4
    Facts per Serving
    Calories:441 Fat, Total:34g Carbohydrates, Total:24g Cholesterol:38mg Sodium:986mg Protein:12g Fiber:4g % Cal. from Fat:69% % Cal. from Carbs:22%

Power CUer
    I always make lots of pesto during the summer, because my garden over-produces basil. My variation on potato salad is to toss the potatoes and diced red onions with pesto and olive oil. It's a nice change from the classics which involve mayonnaise and mustard.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I always make lots of pesto during the summer, because my garden over-produces basil. My variation on potato salad is to toss the potatoes and diced red onions with pesto and olive oil. It's a nice change from the classics which involve mayonnaise and mustard.
    Do you have a good pesto recipe? Sadly my basil isn't doing that well this summer. I have an over-supply of mint and thyme. Usually I have an overabundance of basil. :(

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Do you have a good pesto recipe? Sadly my basil isn't doing that well this summer. I have an over-supply of mint and thyme. Usually I have an overabundance of basil. :(
    There's a recipe? I just grind basil leaves, olive oil, and parmesan in the food processor until it "looks right", and add toasted pine nuts at the end.
    Last year I had rampant overproduction of basil, so I channeled Martha Stewart and put the mixture (sans pine nuts) into ice cube trays. I just pop out a cube or two to cook with, and I'm still using up last year's crop, even as this year's is coming in.

A favorite recipe of mine is the Barefoot Contessa's Parmesan chicken, which we had last night. You pound a couple of skinless, boneless chicken breasts thin, dip them in butter and bread crumbs, press shredded parmesan cheese into them, and saute' them in a skillet. I put a couple of the basil cubes in the pan first, although the recipe doesn't call for it. Serve the breasts on a bed of salad greens, lightly tossed with a vinaigrette.

It takes about ten minutes, I add a nice glass or three of Pinot Noir, and voila, dinner.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    A bunch of Potato Salads
    Potato Salad, European Style

1 1/2 pounds potatoes
    1/3 cup Finely chopped onion
    2 tablespoons Diced dill pickle
    1 teaspoon Caraway seeds, if you like.
    1 teaspoon Paprika -- hot Hungarian
    1 1/2 tablespoons Spicy brown mustard
    1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
    1 tablespoon Lemon juice
    1/2 tablespoon sherry vinegar
    1/3 cup Vegetable oil
    1/2 teaspoon Salt or more to taste
    Cut potatoes in half and steam or boil until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes.combine onion, dill pickle, caraway seeds,paprika and both mustard's. whisk, stir in lemon juice and vinegar, then stir in oil. Add salt, taste and correct seasoning as desired.Peel/or whole cooked potatoes, cut into medium cubes or small slices
    and combine with dressing in the bowl. Set aside until serving,preferably at room temperature.with cold cuts,
    sausages or frankfurters. If desired, dice cold cuts and mix into salad or add 1/2 cup diced cooked pork shank
    Danish potato salad

European-style potato salad is dressed with a mustardy vinaigrette along with capers, chives, and fresh parsley.
    Ingredients
    3 pounds medium potatoes
    1/2 cup finely chopped fresh chives or green onion tops
    1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
    2 tablespoons drained capers
    3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
    1 tablespoon caper liquid from jar
    1 teaspoon coarse-grained Dijon mustard
    1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    Preparation
    Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain potatoes; cool 30 minutes. Peel potatoes, if desired; cut into 1/3-inch-thick slices. Place potatoes in large bowl. Add chives, parsley, and capers. Combine vinegar, caper liquid, and mustard in small bowl. Whisk in oil. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper. Pour dressing over potatoes; toss gently. Season salad with salt and pepper. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.)Choose potatoes that are all about the same size to ensure even cooking.
    German Potato Salad

keep a bowl of ice under your bowl of Potato Salad if you are serving it cold so that it will not sour.
    8 medium new potatoes
    6 slices bacon
    2 1/2 Tbl flour
    6 Tbl cider vinegar
    1 1/2 Tbl sugar
    1 tsp dry mustard
    Salt to taste
    1/2 tsp ground pepper
    Boil the potatoes just until tender when pierced with a fork. While potatoes are boiling, fry the bacon until crispy but not burnt. Reserve 1/4 cup of the bacon fat. Drain bacon well and crumble; set aside.
    Heat the bacon fat on medium low and stir in the flour. Cook slowly, continuing to stir for about one minute. Take off heat and add 1 1/2 cups hot water and the vinegar, mix well, and return to low heat, stirring, until smooth and thickened. Add sugar, mustard, salt and pepper. Cook for a ew minutes.
    Drain the potatoes and, as soon as you are able to handle them, slice them while still warm. Toss with the dressing until well coated. Sprinkle with bacon crumbs and either eave be or toss gently.Service either hot or cold.
    pesto potato salad

Ingredients
    5 pounds white potatoes, washed,halved lengthwise
    1 pound green beans, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
    1 cup homemade pesto
    1/4 cup chopped green onions
    4 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar PreparationCook potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, about 10 minutes. Add beans; cook 4 minutes longer. Drain well. Transfer vegetables to large bowl and cool 10 minutes. Mix in pesto and green onions, tossing to coat. Cool completely. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Cover; let stand at room temperature.) Just before serving, mix in vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper.
    Pesto Sauce

Large bunch of basil(1 cup minced)
    1 large garlic clove,sliced minced
    1/2 cup diced sun-dried tomatoes in oil
    2 t sugar
    1/2 cup pine nuts, ground.
    1/3 cup grated Parmigiano cheese
    Enough extra virgin olive oil to produce desired
    consistency.about 1/3 cup .
    Process or mix everything You will not believe how good this pesto is on pasta, grilled chicken or fish.

My wife makes a potato salad that gets lots of compliments. It's a Persian potato salad. Most people like it and find it rather unique compared to any other potato salad. Most never realize that it had chicken in it until they were told.

I would have to scan it and post it and let the rest of you all translate it. It's written in Farsi.

Quote Originally Posted by CLibertarian View Post
    My wife makes a potato salad that gets lots of compliments. It's a Persian potato salad. Most people like it and find it rather unique compared to any other potato salad. Most never realize that it had chicken in it until they were told.

I would have to scan it and post it and let the rest of you all translate it. It's written in Farsi.
    Can you translate it? Sounds good and I'll bet it would be a unique 4th of July picnic dish. :)

An Adversary of Linda #'s

Is this it ?
    Iranian Potato Salad

A traditional Iranian dish made for special occasions. It is similar to American potato salad,
    but with chicken and lots of lemon. Very refreshing. A great summer side dish.
    Cooking time includes setting time.
    SERVES 8 -10
    Ingredients
    8 medium potatoes, boiled
    4 hard-boiled eggs
    3 lemons, juice of
    1 lb chicken
    1 (15 ounce) can baby green peas (drained)
    3-4 cups mayonnaise (or more to taste)
    1/2 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
    Directions
    Boil, bone and cool the chicken. Grate the potatoes & eggs. Tear chicken into small pieces.
    Mix together with mayonnaise and salt. Mold the salad to your personal preferences by starting out using
    3c of mayonnaise and adding more. Do the same with the salt. When mold is to your liking, add lemon juice and mix. Cover mold with a layer of baby sweet peas. Let set in the ice box overnight. Do not eat right away or lemon juice will be too overpowering.

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Is this it ?
    Iranian Potato Salad

A traditional Iranian dish made for special occasions. It is similar to American potato salad,
    but with chicken and lots of lemon. Very refreshing. A great summer side dish.
    Cooking time includes setting time.
    SERVES 8 -10
    Ingredients
    8 medium potatoes, boiled
    4 hard-boiled eggs
    3 lemons, juice of
    1 lb chicken
    1 (15 ounce) can baby green peas (drained)
    3-4 cups mayonnaise (or more to taste)
    1/2 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
    Directions
    Boil, bone and cool the chicken. Grate the potatoes & eggs. Tear chicken into small pieces.
    Mix together with mayonnaise and salt. Mold the salad to your personal preferences by starting out using
    3c of mayonnaise and adding more. Do the same with the salt. When mold is to your liking, add lemon juice and mix. Cover mold with a layer of baby sweet peas. Let set in the ice box overnight. Do not eat right away or lemon juice will be too overpowering.
    That's real close. My wife doesn't add peas. If she adds lemon, I can't tell. Iranian are big on lemon in many dishes. She uses boneless white meat chisken. It's good served hot or cold.

That's real close. My wife doesn't add peas. If she adds lemon, I can't tell. Iranian are big on lemon in many dishes. She uses boneless white meat chisken. It's good served hot or cold.
    Does she make it in a mold or just mix it in a bowl? Was wondering about some sort of mold, with the peas on the top, perhaps running off the mold.

It sounds good, though. Think I'd prefer it without peas. I'm not a big fan of peas. :D