Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Wednesday Whoosh! 
    Today is Bike To Work Day out here and I was surrounded by cyclist wannabes on the way in this morning. Many seem to have a shaky concept of "share the road". I expect that there will be several reports of mashed cyclists by this afternoon.

We are bike-crazy out here and this is where the Olympic teams and other elite cyclists train. Every summer we have many bike marathons.

TOTD: Have you ever participated in a bike marathon for charity? Ever do any long distance cycling? Have you biked to school/work? If you never have, why not? Have cyclists ever annoyed you? Tried to kill you? Tried to kill themselves using your car? :D

Power CUer
    I've cycled on various trips, but not more than about ten miles at a time. A friend of mine used to do the RAGBRAI trip across Iowa, and tried to convince my husband and me to join it one year.

I said, "I understand the 'biking across' part, but the next word you want is 'France', not 'Iowa'." :p

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Today is Bike To Work Day out here and I was surrounded by cyclist wannabes on the way in this morning. Many seem to have a shaky concept of "share the road". I expect that there will be several reports of mashed cyclists by this afternoon.

We are bike-crazy out here and this is where the Olympic teams and other elite cyclists train. Every summer we have many bike marathons.

TOTD: Have you ever participated in a bike marathon for charity? Ever do any long distance cycling? Have you biked to school/work? If you never have, why not? Have cyclists ever annoyed you? Tried to kill you? Tried to kill themselves using your car? :D
    Cloudy already and looking like rain. Yay! The yard is looking thick and full and Hulk-green right now. I mowed it less than a week ago and it already needs it again.

TOTD: No, never. I wouldn't bike a distance to and from work around here (central Florida) mostly because a lot of drivers should never have licenses. Too many careless, crazy people behind the wheel. I used to have a cheap mountain bike years ago and loved riding it, though.
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

Catalina Eddie is out again - much compression - surf’s flat. Water is warming up though and the fish are moving out of deep water to the shallows.

TOTD: Prior to losing my hand when I was in my mid-teens, I was an avid bike enthusiast and rode a hundred miles at a clip. Haven’t been on a serious performance bicycle since. These days groups of fifty or so cyclists clog PCH and ride 4-wide, outside the line and into the slow lane. I take great glee in coming right up on them in my truck - with its compressor and diesel rig air horn and giving them a sustained blast to get them back in their own damn lane. Many middle fingers ensue thereafter.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

TOTD: While I unfortunately haven't used it much lately, in college I biked to classes all the time.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Catalina Eddie is out again - much compression - surf’s flat. Water is warming up though and the fish are moving out of deep water to the shallows.

TOTD: Prior to losing my hand when I was in my mid-teens, I was an avid bike enthusiast and rode a hundred miles at a clip. Haven’t been on a serious performance bicycle since. These days groups of fifty or so cyclists clog PCH and ride 4-wide, outside the line and into the slow lane. I take great glee in coming right up on them in my truck - with its compressor and diesel rig air horn and giving them a sustained blast to get them back in their own damn lane. Many middle fingers ensue thereafter.
    It's a wonder someone hasn't wrung your neck pulling a stunt like that .You should take one of those portable boat horns to a local hospital cardiac unit and see how many suprise massive coronaries you are able to induce !

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    TOTD: Prior to losing my hand when I was in my mid-teens......

Dude! You lost a hand? I'm sure there's a story there. :eek:

I biked to work 20 years ago or so. 3 Miles or so I could do in less time than it took me to drive. Plus it was great for my legs. :)

When I was a kid, we were the United States of America, Land of the Free and Home of the Brave. Now, we're America, Land of the Sheep and Home of the Naïve.

Live each day as if you're going to die tomorrow. Learn each day as if you'll live forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Dude! You lost a hand? I'm sure there's a story there. :eek:
    Yeah - no big deal. Car wreck when I was a kid.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    You should take one of those portable boat horns to a local hospital cardiac unit and see how many suprise massive coronaries you are able to induce !
    I would, but once they saw Shannon do it - it's not fun anymore.