Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Hybrid View

  1. #1 Spanish at Fast Food Restaurants 
    Senior Member Junebug68's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    345
    Has anyone else noticed a dramatic increase in hispanics working at places like McDonalds and speaking nothing but spanish to each other? Used to be all teens working there, at least in my area. I'm not trying to be racist, but it justs seems a little rude to me. You never know, they could be telling each other to spit in my burger :p
    They're not people, they're hippies!! -Cartman

    It is nothing against you to fall down flat, but to lie there - that's disgrace
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,392
    A good way to avoid that problem is to avoid fast food restaurants. Saliva isn't the worst ingredient used at McDonald's.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member Junebug68's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    A good way to avoid that problem is to avoid fast food restaurants. Saliva isn't the worst ingredient used at McDonald's.
    Yeah the food isn't exactly healthy, but good for a treat sometimes.
    They're not people, they're hippies!! -Cartman

    It is nothing against you to fall down flat, but to lie there - that's disgrace
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,392
    If you honestly are concerned about what people are saying in a language you don't know, learn a phrase or two in that language. If you say pleasantly ( in Spanish) something like "nice day, isn't it?" people will assume you know the language.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member Junebug68's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    If you honestly are concerned about what people are saying in a language you don't know, learn a phrase or two in that language. If you say pleasantly ( in Spanish) something like "nice day, isn't it?" people will assume you know the language.
    I know some Spanish (mostly medical stuff) but I don't see why I should have to speak spanish just to order some fries.

    It's like my ATM - the first thing I have to do is choose English or spanish. English should be the default!
    They're not people, they're hippies!! -Cartman

    It is nothing against you to fall down flat, but to lie there - that's disgrace
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    If you honestly are concerned about what people are saying in a language you don't know, learn a phrase or two in that language. If you say pleasantly ( in Spanish) something like "nice day, isn't it?" people will assume you know the language.
    To break the ice next time smile and say 'Tu eres más feo que el culo de un mono'.i'm sure you will be suprised at how friendly they will be !







    Trans:You are uglier than the butt of a monkey
    Last edited by megimoo; 06-25-2008 at 01:29 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    If you honestly are concerned about what people are saying in a language you don't know, learn a phrase or two in that language. If you say pleasantly ( in Spanish) something like "nice day, isn't it?" people will assume you know the language.
    Out here the illegal aliens speak Spanish but it isn't classroom Spanish. My classroom Spanish-speaking friends are just as helpless as anyone else. Many of the people working in landscaping, fast food, and house cleaning come from deeply rural provinces and they haven't had much formal education. They speak a patois that is fairly difficult to penetrate apparently.

    This is one of the reasons our bilingual education programs are tanking out here. The schools hired well educated Mexican teachers but the kids can't understand them without a huge amount of work.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    noonwitch
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Out here the illegal aliens speak Spanish but it isn't classroom Spanish. My classroom Spanish-speaking friends are just as helpless as anyone else. Many of the people working in landscaping, fast food, and house cleaning come from deeply rural provinces and they haven't had much formal education. They speak a patois that is fairly difficult to penetrate apparently.

    This is one of the reasons our bilingual education programs are tanking out here. The schools hired well educated Mexican teachers but the kids can't understand them without a huge amount of work.

    The Mexican population in southwest Detroit speaks mostly spanish, and I, who speak very little spanish, can usually get by because most of them know some english. It's interesting, the mexican neighborhood is one of the safer neighborhoods in Detroit, at least during daylight hours.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    It's been that way in Denver for about 5 years. It's gotten so bad that a lot of the McDonald's places have gone to a touch screen system. You can't get an extra packet of mustard but you don't have to pantomime your order, either.

    I'm not a frequent flyer at fast food places but I was bemused to confront this system about 6 months ago after I'd heard of it.
    Last edited by Gingersnap; 06-25-2008 at 10:37 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Senior Member Junebug68's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    It's been that way in Denver for about 5 years. It's gotten so bad that a lot of the McDonald's places have gone to a touch screen system. You can't an extra packet of mustard but you don't have to pantomime your order, either.

    I'm not a frequent flyer at fast food places but I was bemused to confront this system about 6 months ago after I'd heard of it.
    Yeah they have touch screens here too. I got a soda there the other day and the lady tried to give me the wrong size and I had to tell her about 5 times that it was wrong because she didn't understand english that well. Very frustrating.
    They're not people, they're hippies!! -Cartman

    It is nothing against you to fall down flat, but to lie there - that's disgrace
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •