Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33
  1. #11  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    Are we to sarcastically refer to Christianity as "the religion of peace" every time we hear news of Christians abusing their spouses and/or children or do you reserve that title only for religions you don't like?
    Christianity does not claim to be the religion of peace. Thanks for playing :wave:
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,970
    Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    Are we to sarcastically refer to Christianity as "the religion of peace" every time we hear news of Christians abusing their spouses and/or children or do you reserve that title only for religions you don't like?
    If you were not such a loony atheist, you would recognize the statement as a metaphor.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    Senior Member Zeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tiny Redneck town in Texas
    Posts
    2,054
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    If he pushed her down the stairs, it seems to me they could get an attempted murder charge. To only charge with abuse isn't enough. He'll get out in no time.
    Ah but you need toprove attempted murder whereas just the claim of abuse is usually enough to convict.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

    It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    Senior Member The Night Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,586
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Christianity does not claim to be the religion of peace. Thanks for playing :wave:
    The Koran does not contain any claims that Islam is a religion of peace.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    The Koran does not contain any claims that Islam is a religion of peace.
    You are full of crap TNO !
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    Senior Member The Night Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,586
    Quote Originally Posted by YupItsMe View Post
    I think he reserves it only for religions who don't automatically condemn that behavior and that teach that women are "less" than men.
    I don't know which Bible you're familiar with but the one I'm familiar with clearly suggests that women are less than men...

    1 Corinthians 11:8-9

    8For the man is not of the woman: but the woman of the man.

    9Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.
    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...20;&version=9;
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    I don't know which Bible you're familiar with but the one I'm familiar with clearly suggests that women are less than men...

    1 Corinthians 11:8-9

    8For the man is not of the woman: but the woman of the man.

    9Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.
    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...20;&version=9;
    way to quote a passage out of context!! dumbass fucking atheist know it alls.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    I don't know which Bible you're familiar with but the one I'm familiar with clearly suggests that women are less than men...

    1 Corinthians 11:8-9

    8For the man is not of the woman: but the woman of the man.

    9Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.
    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...20;&version=9;
    Yes, but the bible doesn't sanction wife-beating as useful tool for family leadership and the Koran obviously does.

    To ignore the implications of Islam in this case is to be naive at best or willfully ignorant at worst. Wife-beating is an instruction from the prophet to his followers. It's not a concept derived from parable or analogy. It's not something sifted out of OT style stories or the product of textual analysis. It's a flat instruction.

    This man's transgression from a religious point of view is a matter of degree and duration, not behavior. The religious point of view is germane here because the husband can invoke talaq which results in a de facto divorce. When the case is put before the Family Court, the case will be decided according to sharia law. Under that law, in a he said/she said case, he wins because her testimony is worth half of his.

    Aside from a very tiny minority of Christians in this country, wife-beating is uniformly seen as a despicable act which violates Christan morals and serves as evidence of a complete failure of Christian leadership on the part of the husband. No authoritative Christian institutions sanction wife-beating. None. No legal authority in this country would take a Christian man's word over his wife's word in any kind of case. No Christian family would imprison or kill a wife returned to her father's home because of divorce.

    Values do matter.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #19  
    Senior Member The Night Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,586
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Yes, but the bible doesn't sanction wife-beating as useful tool for family leadership and the Koran obviously does.
    The Bible clearly indicates that the wife must submit to the husband in everything...

    Ephesians 5:22-24 (New Living Translation)

    22 For wives, this means submit to your husbands as to the Lord. 23 For a husband is the head of his wife as Christ is the head of the church. He is the Savior of his body, the church. 24 As the church submits to Christ, so you wives should submit to your husbands in everything.
    So, according to the Bible, if the husband feels that he needs to discipline his wife in some physical manner, then the wife must submit to the punishiment. Everything means everything!
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #20  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,336
    Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    The Bible clearly indicates that the wife must submit to the husband in everything...

    Ephesians 5:22-24 (New Living Translation)

    22 For wives, this means submit to your husbands as to the Lord. 23 For a husband is the head of his wife as Christ is the head of the church. He is the Savior of his body, the church. 24 As the church submits to Christ, so you wives should submit to your husbands in everything.
    So, according to the Bible, if the husband feels that he needs to discipline his wife in some physical manner, then the wife must submit to the punishiment. Everything means everything!
    Why must you take things out of context. You clearly have no understanding of the Bible and your efforts show your lack of knowledge. You left out :

    Ephesians 5:25-27
    Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless.
    Christ discourages all physical violence. Can you show me where the Bible states that it is ok to use physical force to discipline a wife?

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •