Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by CLibertarian View Post
    I take it that you disagree?
    You just seem to have gone off on one of your own tangents. :)

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    It needn't be "warm and fuzzy" if it's not death. I agree with capital punishment, but it should be for a capital crime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    I haven't read the decision, but my gut says I agree with it. Damn. I really hate agreeing with Kennedy.
    I'm with you all on this one. Only apply it in murder cases.
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

There's always been a problem with rape and death penalty. While virtually all of us would cheerfully kill a child rapist or any rapist, it's important to make sure we aren't making a bad situation much worse.

One of the strongest arguments against the death penalty in rape cases is that it can promote murder of the victim. It makes more sense to rape, kill, and silence a victim than to leave a witness.

It's a tricky problem.

You just seem to have gone off on one of your own tangents. :)
    Just pointing out a factual observation from which everyone has a data point to reference wrt to the perspective of the Liberal SCOTUS judges. I didn't intend to threadjack.

Quote Originally Posted by Space Gravy View Post
    I'm with you all on this one. Only apply it in murder cases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    There's always been a problem with rape and death penalty. While virtually all of us would cheerfully kill a child rapist or any rapist, it's important to make sure we aren't making a bad situation much worse.

One of the strongest arguments against the death penalty in rape cases is that it can promote murder of the victim. It makes more sense to rape, kill, and silence a victim than to leave a witness.

It's a tricky problem.
    While I would like for the DP to apply, I have been reminded of the "attention" that such animal will receive from the other inmate. Therefore, my insistance is not as strong as it was.

Read the decision. The death penalty is not proportional, then fine, child rapists should receive an as ass raping just prior to yard time. Also when did our founding documents become an evolving text? Can't wait till tomorrows gun ruling in D.C.

Quote Originally Posted by CLibertarian View Post
    As Noonwitch pointed out, they will get it either way. I say this even though I ultimately disagree with the ruling based upon what I previously stated.
    I need to read the decision. I'm torn between the clear ability of the Court to look at what constitutes cruel and unusual, balanced by the states' right to determine same.

Looks like I'll be reading some con law this weekend.

Power CUer
    The decision may not be posted for a couple of days; I checked the Supreme Court website and decisions are only posted through 6/23 at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post

It's a tricky problem.
    Would have never thought of it. The act is so blindly animalistic I never realised it could foster something worse.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Patent Member
    The decision may not be posted for a couple of days; I checked the Supreme Court website and decisions are only posted through 6/23 at the moment.
    http://www.conservativeunderground.c...2816#post12816

I don't know if I completely agree with this or not. Seems like the states should be granted broad leeway in sentencing. Look for a lot more "child rape + attempted murder" cases.