Thread: Greenbriar is at it again

1. #1 Greenbriar is at it again 
    Remember about a year ago DUmmy Greenbrair went nutz because her BIL had joined the Army?
    http://www.democraticunderground.com...ess=389x871197
    greenbriar (1000+ posts) Fri May-11-07 11:15 PM
    Original message
    HELP My brother in law is considering joining the Armed forces. He thinks he won't go to Iraq
    Advertisements [?]Edited on Fri May-11-07 11:16 PM by greenbriar
    also thinks he will get money to pay off student loans.

I need True examples of the lies the recuriters tell to get people to join

please help

He needs direction in life, just divorced with two young kids...very MESSY situation...

has a decent paying job but he is not happy and will not advance because he can't afford to further his education...
    Much sympathy ensued and the DUmmies were properly outraged.

Well look who is abandoning her now! She must be one hell of a BITCH to keep running family members off!
    http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=389x5061479
    greenbriar (1000+ posts) Sun Feb-15-09 09:02 PM
    Original message
    I just found out my Daughter joined the army grrrrrrr I need hugs
    Advertisements [?]She is graduating High School 1 year early

she has a 3.8 GPA

she won a huge scholarship in a school of Engineering

and I just found out she joined the Army and her dad my hubby gave his blessing

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Can we detect a pattern here?
    I would love to jump in on this thread, but my new moles are a bit to low post.
    Last edited by Beefeater; 02-15-2009 at 09:20 PM. Reason: add link

Another nugget of genius from Horse With No Brain:

Horse with no Name (1000+ posts) Sun Feb-15-09 09:22 PM
    Response to Original message
    23. Uck.
    If nothing else, make sure she knows this one thing.
    She has the RIGHT to leave boot camp at any time if she does not like it and she does NOT have to fulfill her obligation until AFTER boot camp is finished. That is something the recruiters won't tell you but it is the truth (my brother is a Drill Instructor so I know of what I speak).
    Have you shown her the statistics on rape/suicide in the military?
    I'm in awe of your restraint. My daughters would have to join over my dead body. And I mean that. Literally.
    And someone else chimes in with this:

noamnety (1000+ posts) Sun Feb-15-09 09:26 PM
    Original message
    Sounds like she is in the delayed entry program right now.
    She does NOT have to report, if she's signed up for DEP, which means this is a done deal for her emotionally, but legally it's not.

That's an important detail.

I think if you tell her not to go, she will dig her feet in further and just resent it. At this point you might be better off talking about related options. I'd push the advantages of doing ROTC in college instead of enlisting right away, because then when she finishes college the army can pay off any outstanding loans AND she can work toward the GI bill for grad school. In the end, financially, she'd be in a better position. And it puts her in a position where she could do what my husband does - work on an army post as an engineer, which pays about 4 times more than what the enlisted folks are making - and they actually picked up his entire tab for grad school without him ever enlisting. The option is there to serve overseas, but also the option is there for him to walk away if he ever wants. (I doubt he will, he's got 20 years in now, but having the option puts you in a whole different mindset.)

More hardcore antirecruitment stuff would come from watching the winter soldier testimonies online, and The Ground Truth. And please - get her signed up for a women's self-defense course before she reports, if there's no talking her out of enlisting.
    Because we ALL know soldiers are fucking rapists at heart... Right?

It is amazing how unsupported the DUmmies are of people joining the military. You would think that with Obama in office, they would be all fired up about people doing something patriotic.

And regarding noamnity's comment, I would recommend that every woman know how to defend herself. I have a friend in the army who was raped while serving, and I have another friend who was raped by a football player while in college. Creeps are unfortunately every where.

I hope somebody advised her to be proud of her kid.

My mom didn't want my brother to get the ROTC scholarship he applied for. He was rejected, due to his asthma and bad elbow, and she was very happy about that.

My dad, on the other hand, was so proud of him when he went to Logansport for his interview and physical.

greenbriar (1000+ posts) Sun Feb-15-09 09:02 PM
    Original message
    I just found out my Daughter joined the army grrrrrrr I need hugs
    Advertisements [?]She is graduating High School 1 year early

she has a 3.8 GPA

she won a huge scholarship in a school of Engineering

and I just found out she joined the Army and her dad my hubby gave his blessing

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Yep. They really support the troops and truly want their kids to be independent thinkers. Yep.
    OPEACHMENT NOW!!!

Stinger:
    "I was... ordered to drop my pants, bend over and spread my cheeks."
    --RagingInMiami achieving the DUmp's highest level of nirvana

Banned
    If I am not to mistaken you are more likely to get raped/sexually assaulted in college then in the military. :mad:

Quote Originally Posted by asdf2231 View Post
    And please - get her signed up for a women's self-defense course before she reports, if there's no talking her out of enlisting.
    Because we ALL know soldiers are fucking rapists at heart... Right?

And she'll learn nothing of self defense in the ARMY!!!!:mad:
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Resident Grump
    Well well....

Trajan Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Sun Feb-15-09 09:14 PM
    15. I would have NEVER accepted this three months ago ....

But I am seriously considering dragging my rudderless, aimless, dreamless, wannabe grandmaster pothead son to a recruitment office .... Some kids do benefit from the forced regimentation, and I believe mine is one that would ....

We have been discussing it ....

For the record: I have two older kids that have vivid 'dreams' about where they want to go in life, and the wherewithall to see themselves through it .... He has simply not had that drive as they did ... And self discipline is not his strong point .
    and one of DU's resident druggies chimes in (make that more than 3/4 of DUmmies are druggies)

Oregone (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Sun Feb-15-09 10:30 PM
    Response to Reply #15
    42. Whats wrong with being a pothead? Better than a hole in his head. What, does he hurt people when he smokes up? Every time he lights a bowl, a little angle in heaven dies (or a little girl in Iraq)?

Damn, it may not be what you dreamed of, but at least he isn't a mindless tool of some imperialistic machine, brining pain upon exploited people. There are worse things in life than smoking it up a bit.
    You're a good example of why to avoid pot.

And then this

Trajan Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Sun Feb-15-09 11:13 PM
    Response to Reply #42
    46. Um .... Hold your horses ....

Edited on Sun Feb-15-09 11:16 PM by Trajan
    First: I have MUCH experience in this matter, and I am very honest with him about this ...

I am PRO hemp, and PRO Legalization, but we are talking about a young man of 18, who is not in college, and not working ....

He is an idler, spending all day 'chillin' with his friends while the rest of his family works ...

It is because I know about the 'puffing' lifestyle that I know he should not pursue it at the expense of other sectors of life ....

He can smoke all he wants AFTER he works towards his future, but he will not lift himself out of his 'chillin' idler stage if he doesnt get a job, and he will not get a job if he cannot pass a urinalysis ..... So it simply follows that he cannot follow his pothead dreams at this point in his life ....

Tell you what: You want to promote that lifestyle for him ? .... Send us your address, and I will help him pack .....

I am sure you can provide better guidance for him ...

EDIT: I forgot to add : We have found valuable objects, like cameras and iPods, of which he cannot give a reasonable account for their provenance .... I would recommend a complete inventory of your household prior to his arrival ....
    Uh Trajan...if he has stolen goods and they're in your house, I'd do something about that before the cops knock on your door.

Resident Grump
    Just after this is a discussion by a poster named bdab

Read this

bdab1973 (390 posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Mon Feb-16-09 05:51 PM
    Response to Reply #132
    143. Why do you feel you need to speak for the Iraqis?

Have you been here? Have you talked to Iraqis?

Everyone back home seems to think Iraq is this bombed out and gutted country, courtesy of the USA. That's far from true. The only places I see visible signs of bomb craters is around former Iraqi military installations. I've been pretty much all over the country...Mosul, Erbil, Sulaimaniyah, Qayyarah, Tikrit, Kirkuk, Baghdad, Hit, Fallujah/Ramadi, Najaf, Kut, Basrah and Nasariyah among others. My coworkers are mostly Iraqi. I work on an Iraqi military installation.

In fact, I told one of them the other day that many Americans think we bombed the hell out of their homes, and he laughed saying the American news media is corrupt. I'm not saying the war was right, wrong or anything. Just telling you what they tell me. Yes, we bombed parts of Iraq, but unlike many countries we try very hard to ensure they are military targets.
    then follow the thread down. That has to be one of the best asskickings I have seen in many a year.

I see granite in his future....

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Rose View Post
    It is amazing how unsupported the DUmmies are of people joining the military. You would think that with Obama in office, they would be all fired up about people doing something patriotic.
    Like paying taxes? :D

I'm not surprised. They hold us in utter contempt, and consider anyone who'd join up to be a complete loser. Her comment about her daughter's 3.8 GPA and engineering school scholarship are quite telling. She obviously thinks that none of us could possibly have had high grades, SATs or scholarships. I wonder if she knows that the USMA is one of the best engineering schools in the country?

Horse with no Name (1000+ posts) Sun Feb-15-09 09:22 PM
    23. Uck.
    If nothing else, make sure she knows this one thing.
    She has the RIGHT to leave boot camp at any time if she does not like it and she does NOT have to fulfill her obligation until AFTER boot camp is finished. That is something the recruiters won't tell you but it is the truth (my brother is a Drill Instructor so I know of what I speak)...
    Uh, no... Trying to leave basic training before you finish is not a good thing. When I went through, we had a guy who had an injury that he used to get out of training as much as he could. We were doing 19D One-Station-Unit-Training (Basic and AIT in one complete package) at FT Knox, and around the tenth week, he realized that he was going to recycle, so he took a bottle of aspirin in a fake-suicide attempt. I ran into one of my Drill Sergeants a few years later, after I came back for the Armor Officer Basic Course, and he told me that the dirtbag had been kept in the psyche ward at Ireland Army Hospital for almost two years after our graduation, where he and every other BCT washout did every crappy detail in the hospital while the Army ensured that they weren't a danger to themselves and others. What really made the story hysterical is that this idiot was National Guard, so if he'd just done what he was supposed to do, he'd have gone home after graduation at 13 weeks.
    Once you sign a contract, you're committed. Horse's advice will get her into a world of hurt.
    noamnety (1000+ posts) Sun Feb-15-09 09:26 PM
    ...In the end, financially, she'd be in a better position. And it puts her in a position where she could do what my husband does - work on an army post as an engineer, which pays about 4 times more than what the enlisted folks are making - and they actually picked up his entire tab for grad school without him ever enlisting. The option is there to serve overseas, but also the option is there for him to walk away if he ever wants. (I doubt he will, he's got 20 years in now, but having the option puts you in a whole different mindset.)
    More hardcore antirecruitment stuff would come from watching the winter soldier testimonies online, and The Ground Truth. And please - get her signed up for a women's self-defense course before she reports, if there's no talking her out of enlisting.
    Her husband works for the army and she's trying to steer this kid to antiwar sites that slander us? I'd sure love to have a chat with the guys who approved his clearance. For that matter, she owes her husband's livelyhood to the army and she treats us like this? Bite the hand that feeds you much?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Rose View Post
    And regarding noamnity's comment, I would recommend that every woman know how to defend herself. I have a friend in the army who was raped while serving, and I have another friend who was raped by a football player while in college. Creeps are unfortunately every where.
    Several weeks ago, FT Hood had a stand down so that every Soldier on the post could attend a presentation on sexual assault. Every element down to company level has Unit Victim Advocates, whose job is exactly what it says, to provide support for sexual assault victims at the unit level. As I've said before, it's a problem that comes from throwing young men and women into a high stress, isolated environment in which the traditional norms aren't clearly applicable, but unlike most colleges, we deal with the problem.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!