1. #1 Democrat Rep. Henry Waxman: 'Oversight of the Internet is One of His Top Priorities' 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    The American Spectator's Prowler column published today has a disturbing report on the plans by the Democratic Chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee Henry Waxman to regulate political speech on the Internet.

http://spectator.org/archives/2009/0...n-all-fairness

In addition to details of methods Waxman is considering to rein in conservative talk radio, The Prowler reports on Waxman's desire to use the power of the federal government to investigate amd control political content on the Internet.

The article quotes an unnamed committee staffer as saying of Waxman's power grab:

"Does one heavily trafficked Internet site present one side of an issue and not link to sites that present alternative views? These are some of the questions the chairman is thinking about right now, and we are going to have an FCC that will finally have the people in place to answer them."

"Internet radio is becoming a big deal, and we're seeing that some web sites are able to control traffic and information, while other sites that may be of interest or use to citizens get limited traffic because of the way the people search and look for information. We're at very early stages on this, but the chairman has made it clear that oversight of the Internet is one of his top priorities."

"This isn't just about Limbaugh or a local radio host most of us haven't heard about. The FCC and state and local governments also have oversight over the Internet lines and the cable and telecom companies that operate them. We want to get alternative views on radio and TV, but we also want to makes sure those alternative views are read, heard and seen online, which is becoming increasingly video and audio driven. Thanks to the stimulus package, we've established that broadband networks -- the Internet -- are critical, national infrastructure. We think that gives us an opening to look at what runs over that critical infrastructure."

The article reports that Waxman intends to work with Democratic Party President Barack Hussein Obama's nominee to be chairman of the Federal Communications Commission, Julius Genachowski, who is awaiting confirmation by the Democrat controlled Senate, to investigate and regulate free speech on the Internet.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2187188/posts

In All Fairness
    snip
    Chairman Henry Waxman to discuss ways the committee can create openings for the FCC to put in place a form of the "Fairness Doctrine" without actually calling it such.

Waxman is also interested, say sources, in looking at how the Internet is being used for content and free speech purposes. "It's all about diversity in media," says a House Energy staffer, familiar with the meetings. "Does one radio station or one station group control four of the five most powerful outlets in one community? Do four stations in one region carry Rush Limbaugh, and nothing else during the same time slot? Does one heavily trafficked Internet site present one side of an issue and not link to sites that present alternative views? These are some of the questions the chairman is thinking about right now, and we are going to have an FCC that will finally have the people in place to answer them." snip

http://spectator.org/archives/2009/0...n-all-fairness

Careful meathead, it is a short trek from muzzling free speech in one area to a broad based censorship. Who knows, maybe we'll outlaw political speech in Washington? That couldn't be much worse than letting people like you spout off your liberal idiocy.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

A person can go on the internet and find whatever viewpoint he or she wants. Search engines like Google have made it incredibly easy to find information on any side of an issue. In fact, it even has streaming radio, so if none of the radio stations have a host that you agree with, you can go online and find one to listen to.

Let the free market determine what physical radio stations carry, and use the internet to find alternate opinions.

Though, it might be funny for DU to be required to have a link to us, or even Free Republic at the top of every page :p

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    Careful meathead, it is a short trek from muzzling free speech in one area to a broad based censorship. Who knows, maybe we'll outlaw political speech in Washington? That couldn't be much worse than letting people like you spout off your liberal idiocy.
    Just who are you calling a meathead Jarhead ? I am simply quoting from a published piece and last time I inquired that was allowed.I fully expect the internet to be censored as they can't afford to have the riff-raff spouting off about and rousing the rabble.

The news sources are all 'drying up' due to a general loss of credibility and nobody reads or believes the papers anymore.Whatever I spout off about are small potatoes compared with those who are truly angered and are ready to pop their tops.

They're about to bring all of you critters back home to patrol the streets when they finally 'Take the the wrong turn' and people begin to see where their country's really headed.
    Last edited by megimoo; 02-17-2009 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    [SIZE="3"]Just who are you calling a meathead Jarhead ?
    I believe AmPat was referring to Henry Waxman with the meathead comment.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Just who are you calling a meathead Jarhead ? I am simply quoting from a published piece and last time I inquired that was allowed.I fully expect the internet to be censored as they can't afford to have the riff-raff spouting off about and rousing the rabble.

The news sources are all 'drying up' due to a general loss of credibility and nobody reads or believes the papers anymore.Whatever I spout off about are small potatoes compared with those who are truly angered and are ready to pop their tops.

They're about to bring all of you critters back home to patrol the streets when they finally 'Take the the wrong turn' and people begin to see where their country's really headed.
    Zathras is correct. Waxman was my target. Sorry you got wounded in the crossfire.:o
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Typical government, especially the Libs - If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Does one heavily trafficked Internet site present one side of an issue and not link to sites that present alternative views?
    It's called the fucking First Amendment, you ugly son of a bitch. LEARN IT.
    OPEACHMENT NOW!!!

Stinger:
    "I was... ordered to drop my pants, bend over and spread my cheeks."
    --RagingInMiami achieving the DUmp's highest level of nirvana