Thread: Bristol Palin: Abstinence for teens 'not realistic'

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Bristol Palin: Abstinence for teens 'not realistic' 
    Bristol Palin: Abstinence for all teens 'not realistic'

(CNN) -- In her first interview since giving birth, the teenage daughter of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin said having a child is not "glamorous," and that telling young people to be abstinent is "not realistic at all."

"It's just, like, I'm not living for myself anymore. It's, like, for another person, so it's different," Bristol Palin told Fox News' Greta Van Susteren. "And just you're up all night. And it's not glamorous at all," she said. "Like, your whole priorities change after having a baby."

The 18-year-old, who gave birth in late December, said she is being helped tremendously by her mother, grandmother, cousins and other family members. She is engaged to teen father Levi Johnston, who is now working for his father and trying to complete school, but said she wishes that she waited another 10 years to have a baby.

It was "harder than labor" telling her parents she was pregnant.

"Well, we were sitting on the couch, my best friend and Levi, and we had my parents come and sit on the couch, too. And we had my sisters go upstairs," Bristol said. "And we just sat them down, and I just -- I couldn't even say it. I was just sick to my stomach.

"And so finally, my best friend just, like, blurted it out. And it was just, like -- I don't even remember it because it was just, like, something I don't want to remember."

Todd and Sarah Palin were "scared just because I have to -- I had to grow up a lot faster than they ever would have imagined," Bristol said.

Her parents insisted that she and her boyfriend hash out a "game plan" immediately. And now her parents and relatives are all pitching in to help take care of the child, particularly when Bristol is at school during the day.

Van Susteren was delicate with the teenager but pointedly asked if "contraception is an issue here."

"Is that something that you were just lazy about or not interested, or do you have philosophical or religious opposition to it," Van Susteren asked.

Bristol quickly answered that she didn't want to get into specifics. The best option is abstinence, the teen said, but added that she didn't think that was "realistic." Watch Bristol Palin say that abstinence is "not realistic at all"

While her mother was running for vice president, the teenager said her treatment in the media was "evil." She said she read some of the tabloids that wrote about her. People didn't understand, she said, and some media reports perpetuated falsehoods about her experience.

"They thought that, like, my mom was going to make me have the baby, and it was my choice to have the baby," she said. "And it's just -- that kind of stuff just bothered me."

Van Susteren asked, "But this is your issue? This is your decision?"

Bristol answered yes. "(It) doesn't matter what my mom's views are on it. It was my decision, and I wish people would realize that, too," she said.

The network interview was Bristol's idea, the teen said. And she apparently sprung the news to her parents that she was going to speak publicly the day before the network taping. The teen said she wanted to tell her story so that other young people might think twice about having sex.

"I'd love to [be] an advocate to prevent teen pregnancy because it's not, like, a situation that you would want to strive for, I guess," Bristol said.

Gov. Palin made an unexpected appearance during the interview in Alaska, and Van Susteren asked her about her daughter's pregnancy.

Not the most ideal situation, certainly you make the most of it," the governor said.

Bristol is a "strong and bold woman, and she is an amazing mom," Palin said. "And this little baby is very lucky to have her as a mama. He's going to be just fine."

From Commie News Network...
    "Because we're a great nation, our challenges seem complex; it will always be this way. But as long as we remember our first principals and believe in ourselves, the future will always be ours." -Reagan

so the focus of their story is not how hard it is to be a mother so young - and how devistating it is to deal with a pregnancy - but how she said in passing that abstinaince is 'not realistic' in all cases.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Politically tired.
    She's not saying to not encourage abstinience. She wants to help discourage having sex at a young age. She simply thinks it's unrealistic. I have to agree. I've noticed that nearly everybody saying to tell the kids not to have sex until marriage often had sex in their teens and still won't refrain from sex if they are single.

I think Bristol's speaking out might be effective because she's saying how hard it is to be a young mother. I think that's very important. I've learned that a lot of kids actually think one of the things leading out to teen pregnancy is that some teens actually don't want to prevent pregnancy. Some think being a mom so young is a good thing. I sort of think that education to prevent pregnancy needs to go into the direction of discussing why you don't want a baby right now. Not just Abstinience Only or Sex Ed programs. I used to think the idea of being a mom fresh out of high school might be cool. Then my niece was born, and I got to babysit quite a bit. My attitude changed. lol. I love my niece, but I figured out right away that this wasn't something I needed to do full time just yet. It would be good if more teens could be given that wake up call.

Give em one of the little "bundles of joy" that screams for days.....:eek:
    Say what ya mean and get to the point quick....I don't have the attention span to listen to bullshit...

Resident Grump
    Bristol answered yes. "(It) doesn't matter what my mom's views are on it. It was my decision, and I wish people would realize that, too," she said.
    Good on you.

Could we please get the VRWC speech writers back on the job? "It's like, um, I don't know, like hard and stuff."
    Why can't our children--High Schoolers, speak normally instead of sounding like Spicoli?
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

We know that no matter what we tell our kids, many times they're not going to listen. We tell them drugs and alcohol are bad, and many try them anyway. We wouldn't think of not telling them about abstaining from those dangers simply because they don't always hear us, so why does the liberal part of society insist we need to change the way we warn our teens about the dangers of irresponsible sex?

Bristol is like a lot of American teens. Being the child of parents with conservative/libertarian viewpoints doesn't magically exempt her from the ordinary (and banal) dramas of teenage life.

Right now, there has been a big decline in teen sex since the 1990s. This doesn't make the news for a couple of reasons. One reason is that the decline is very much tied to social and cultural factors. White and Asian teens who expect to go to college and have a "career" instead of a "job" are delaying sex, avoiding sex, or engaging in non-reproductive sex. The other thing is that teens across all racial lines are less inclined to have reproductive sex if their biological parents are married to each other.

Bristol is one of the kids who didn't get the message although she had ample exposure to comprehensive sex ed. Obviously, plenty of kids in her demographic very realistically avoid sex or avoid reproductive sex. This trend show no decline. Most (but not all) ambitious kids with hands-on parents and busy lives simply don't have the time, energy, or privacy to make sex a top priority. As more white and Asian teens come to a pro-life position, the risks of sex becomes a lot higher. They aren't as ready to abort today as they were 10 years ago and both the boy and the girl are aware of how raising a child will impact college and career plans.

Power CUer
    You keep emphasizing "non-reproductive sex". Is that a fancy way of saying blow jobs? :p
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Banned
    She just needs to STFU. I say bs to her little story about abstinence for teens is not realistic. It sure as hell was when I was teenager. However, I am an old fart, and back then you were viewed as a creep if you smoked pot or a slut if up you had a baby out of wedlock. The good old days of immoral behavior are amongst us. God help us.