1. #1 The gaffe of the week 
    Seattle Times
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - Page updated at 02:06 PM

In a campaign lasting as long as the 2008 presidential contest, gaffes will be made. Foolish things will be said. None of that excuses inappropriate comments from a senior aide to Sen. John McCain that a terrorist attack would benefit the Republican nominee.

McCain has said repeatedly he is more qualified than Sen. Barack Obama to serve as commander in chief, especially in combating terrorism. But Charlie Black, one of McCain's most trusted political advisers, took the point too far, telling Fortune Magazine a new terrorist attack "would be a big advantage" to McCain.

Some statements should be off-limits. Using and abusing public fears of a fresh attack is a prime example. Using fear to sway voters is too low.

McCain quickly denounced Black's comments and distanced himself from his aide: "I cannot imagine why he would say it. It's not true. I've worked tirelessly since 9/11 to prevent another attack in the United States of America."

Black later told reporters he deeply regrets his comments and agreed they were a mistake.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...errored25.html
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Seattle Times
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - Page updated at 02:06 PM

In a campaign lasting as long as the 2008 presidential contest, gaffes will be made. Foolish things will be said. None of that excuses inappropriate comments from a senior aide to Sen. John McCain that a terrorist attack would benefit the Republican nominee.

McCain has said repeatedly he is more qualified than Sen. Barack Obama to serve as commander in chief, especially in combating terrorism. But Charlie Black, one of McCain's most trusted political advisers, took the point too far, telling Fortune Magazine a new terrorist attack "would be a big advantage" to McCain.

Some statements should be off-limits. Using and abusing public fears of a fresh attack is a prime example. Using fear to sway voters is too low.

McCain quickly denounced Black's comments and distanced himself from his aide: "I cannot imagine why he would say it. It's not true. I've worked tirelessly since 9/11 to prevent another attack in the United States of America."

Black later told reporters he deeply regrets his comments and agreed they were a mistake.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...errored25.html
    I agree it was a stupid statement. However, it is my opinion that a terrorist attack is less likely if McCain is Prez opposed to the Magic Negro. That may have been what he meant but it sure came out of his mouth crosswise.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    I agree it was a stupid statement. However, it is my opinion that a terrorist attack is less likely if McCain is Prez opposed to the Magic Negro. That may have been what he meant but it sure came out of his mouth crosswise.
    Has about as much resonance as: "I didnít know it was loaded!"

At this point - McCain doesn't need that kind of help.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Goldwater
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    No, he meant an attack would put McCain up 20 points in the polls. It is probably the truth too.