Woman Charged with Poisoning Baby Food Products
TAMARAC, Fla. -- A South Florida woman was arrested after police said she poisoned baby food products in a grocery store.
Broward Sheriff’s Office detectives said they arrested a 50-year-old Shirley Ybarra of Sunrise after she went into the baby food aisle of a Publix grocery store at Commercial Boulevard and 411 in Tamarac and donned rubber gloves before mixing an acrid, black substance into baby food and juice containers.
Store surveillance video showed Ybarra wheeling her shopping cart down the aisle, where she worked on the jars and bottles for about 15 minutes as shoppers and employees passed unaware.
She added a dark liquid that smelled of ammonia to the food, police said. She had the liquid in a Victoria's Secret body splash container.
When confronted by store personnel, Ybarra said she was mixing food for her son. During the course of this investigation, detectives conferred with Publix officials who checked other area supermarkets to determine whether Ybarra had visited them.
All of the items were examined by the BSO Crime Scene Unit and the contaminated products will be sent to the Food and Drug Administration for testing.