Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Obama Economy Blamed for increase in Concealed weapon permits in Florida 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Economy Blamed for increase in Concealed weapon permits in Florida

TALLAHASSEE ó People in Florida are fearful of the economic future, and one way they are coping is by buying guns. The state office that issues concealed weapon permits is buried under a backlog of 95,000 applications and doesn't have enough money in its budget to do the job. A legislative budget panel is being asked to approve a midyear budget transfer of nearly $4-million to catch up to the demand for permits.

"People are getting scared," said Agriculture Commissioner Charles Bronson. "The economy is scaring them. They don't want their houses broken into." Bronson's Cabinet agency includes the Division of Licensing that processes weapons permit applications. Figures released by Bronson's office show that it issued 75,679 permits in 2007 and 86,269 in 2008.

Applications spiked dramatically upward in December and January. During one six-week period, applications were up 42 percent. Overall, from fiscal 2003-04 to 2007-08, the state saw a 91 percent increase in permit applications.

A permit is valid for seven years and costs $120, which includes a $44 charge for applicants to undergo state and federal criminal history checks by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and pay for a set of fingerprints. By law the state must act upon a permit application within 90 days of receipt or the applicant automatically qualifies for a permit.

Bronson, a certified police officer who worked as a reserve sheriff's deputy in Miami-Dade and Brevard counties, said a team of licensing employees is trying to process up to 1,000 applicants a day, but the applications keep coming. "We're a little bit under the gun here," he said.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politic...icle976999.ece

I just want to point out that you call it the Obama economy, but the stats cited are for December and January. Obama didn't become president until January was more than half over.

I would respond, that most people saw what was coming. I believe that the One should have a year to finish off the countries economy, then it will be the obama depression.
    Onward Thru the Fog

Patent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I just want to point out that you call it the Obama economy, but the stats cited are for December and January. Obama didn't become president until January was more than half over.
    The economy didn't take a nose dive until October, when it was pretty clear (although a lot of us had hopes otherwise) that Obama was going to become president.

October 1 is when we started the steep decline

September 30 was McCain's last hurrah

As Obama's lead grew, the market tanked. Except for a brief spike on Nov. 4 (the last chance for McCain), we've been seeing the effect of an Obama presidency on the Dow.

Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post
    The economy didn't take a nose dive until October, when it was pretty clear (although a lot of us had hopes otherwise) that Obama was going to become president.

October 1 is when we started the steep decline

September 30 was McCain's last hurrah

As Obama's lead grew, the market tanked. Except for a brief spike on Nov. 4 (the last chance for McCain), we've been seeing the effect of an Obama presidency on the Dow.

The first nose dive happened around March of 2001, and then later, after 9-11. Obama inherited an economy that was in the toilet to begin with.

As a Floridian I can tell you that it is not so much the economy that is causing the increase in Gun sales, it is the fear of Obama and congressionally imposed weapons restrictions. In fact one of the biggest selling items at the state guns shows is ammo. People are buying it by the truck load and it is hard to get some types of ammo in the gun stores and sporting goods sections of standard retail stores.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

The first nose dive happened around March of 2001, and then later, after 9-11. Obama inherited an economy that was in the toilet to begin with.
    When did the rise in CC permit applications begin to rise?
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Patent Member
    I suppose if you want to ignore the gains from April '03 through the end of '08, then you might have a point.

It cites fears of the economic future though.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    As a Floridian I can tell you that it is not so much the economy that is causing the increase in Gun sales, it is the fear of Obama and congressionally imposed weapons restrictions. In fact one of the biggest selling items at the state guns shows is ammo. People are buying it by the truck load and it is hard to get some types of ammo in the gun stores and sporting goods sections of standard retail stores.
    It's been in short supply for a long time .223, 7.62 x 39 and .45 acp are all on back order .