Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 ND House Passes Abortion Ban 
    ND House Passes Abortion Ban

Feb 17 2009 7:37PM
    KXMCTV Minot

North Dakota's House of Representatives has passed a bill effectively outlawing abortion.
    The House voted 51-41 this afternoon to declare that a fertilized egg has all the rights of any person.

That means a fetus could not be legally aborted without the procedure being considered murder.

Minot Republican Dan Ruby has sponsored other bills banning abortion in previous legislative sessions - all of which failed.

He also sponsored today's bill and says it is compatable with Roe versus Wade - the Supreme Court decision which legalized abortion. (Rep. Dan Ruby, -R- Minot) "This is the exact language that's required by Roe vs. Wade. It stipulated that before a challenge can be made, we have to identify when life begins, and that's what this does."
    The whole article is here

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Good for North Dakota! Hopefully more states will do something similar.
    "Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives."
    -Ronald Reagan

Life is a story; if you stay on the same page forever you will never finish it.
    "There are days you are the pigeon and days you are the statue."

This is either excellent or dead awful timing . . . . This will of course go to SCOTUS and will be a hot button issue for the election if it makes it there before 2010. The question is - will it rally the dems or the conservatives more?
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

That ban also would ban the morning after pill and IUDs, because both involve ensuring that a fertilized egg does not implant in the uterus. It's going to be struck down by a higher court.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    That ban also would ban the morning after pill and IUDs, because both involve ensuring that a fertilized egg does not implant in the uterus. It's going to be struck down by a higher court.
    That should make wilbur happy. He can't cite ND as being hypocritical...

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Power CUer
    This is the kind of legislation you get in places where nights and winters are way too long. What penalties do they have for women who cross the border into some other big square/rectangular state?
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    This is the kind of legislation you get in places where nights and winters are way too long. What penalties do they have for women who cross the border into some other big square/rectangular state?
    In this case what goes on in another state should be of no concern to ND. ND is treating this as a state's rights issue as it should have been all along. What penalty should Florida put on me if I drive to South Carolina and buy cigarettes and avoid Florida's cigarette tax?

C. S. Lewis

Power CUer
    I know that Virginia frowns on my driving into the District of Columbia to buy cases of wine or liquor, and it's not good if they catch me with a trunkful. (It's also not high risk). So sometimes states do care.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

I know that Virginia frowns on my driving into the District of Columbia to buy cases of wine or liquor, and it's not good if they catch me with a trunkful. (It's also not high risk). So sometimes states do care.
    Which makes me happy to know I don't live in Virginia. I perfer the crazies that live here.

C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    In this case what goes on in another state should be of no concern to ND. ND is treating this as a state's rights issue as it should have been all along. What penalty should Florida put on me if I drive to South Carolina and buy cigarettes and avoid Florida's cigarette tax?
    You can buy them there, you just can't bring them into the state without paying the state tax. So, roadtrip to South Carolina or D.C. (or, in my case, Delaware or Maryland) but you must drink and smoke them all before getting back to your home state. At least, until they figure out how to tax your urine.