Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 71
  1. #11  
    Senior Member Space Gravy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The South
    Posts
    1,435
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I know that Virginia frowns on my driving into the District of Columbia to buy cases of wine or liquor, and it's not good if they catch me with a trunkful. (It's also not high risk). So sometimes states do care.
    We always used to go to Maryland.
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,319
    Linda, I was just yanking your chain with the Virginia comment. Virginia is a beautiful state.

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,319
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    You can buy them there, you just can't bring them into the state without paying the state tax. So, roadtrip to South Carolina or D.C. (or, in my case, Delaware or Maryland) but you must drink and smoke them all before getting back to your home state. At least, until they figure out how to tax your urine.
    Thank the Lord they don't have declaration checkings between states :eek:

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,428
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Linda, I was just yanking your chain with the Virginia comment. Virginia is a beautiful state.
    That's okay. :) You completely undercut your remarks with your spelling of "prefer". It's all good. :p
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    12,702
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I know that Virginia frowns on my driving into the District of Columbia to buy cases of wine or liquor, and it's not good if they catch me with a trunkful. (It's also not high risk). So sometimes states do care.


    Michigan State Police are known for confiscating cartons of cigarettes bought out of state from Michigan residents. This happens especially along the MI/IN border, because Ohio raised their taxes so the price is about the same as here.

    I think we are allowed one carton from out of state, but no more.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,852
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    That should make wilbur happy. He can't cite ND as being hypocritical...
    I don't see any reason to believe they fully realize the consequences of passing such a law... if followed to the letter it would outlaw typical birth control pills... as they sometimes prevent pregnancy by preventing implantation (but allowing conception).

    This bill (and you 'life-at-conception' folks) leave no recourse to justify the allowance of any type of non-barrier type contraception... so one has to to wonder why so many of you lack the same zeal about BC that you bring to the table when it comes to abortion (well, I don't... its because you do recognize that a zygote is not equivalent to a human being... you have just let the rhetoric stymie any and all reflective thought that might give you the awareness to realize it consciously)

    As for the the bill itself... it seems like it will be nothing more than a meaningless gesture.... like when congress signs a resolution condemning or supporting something.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,319
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    I don't see any reason to believe they fully realize the consequences of passing such a law... if followed to the letter it would outlaw typical birth control pills... as they sometimes prevent pregnancy by preventing implantation (but allowing conception).

    This bill (and you 'life-at-conception' folks) leave no recourse to justify the allowance of any type of non-barrier type contraception... so one has to to wonder why so many of you lack the same zeal about BC that you bring to the table when it comes to abortion (well, I don't... its because you do recognize that a zygote is not equivalent to a human being... you have just let the rhetoric stymie any and all reflective thought that might give you the awareness to realize it consciously)

    As for the the bill itself... it seems like it will be nothing more than a meaningless gesture.... like when congress signs a resolution condemning or supporting something.
    I'm sure they understand exactly what the law is invoking. Whether I agree with the totality of their law or not, I believe that this is a state's rights issue and not a federal privacy issue. When considering whether birth control should be allowed or not, that too should be a state's right issues and not a privacy issue. The problem here is that you abortion zealots who believe that almost any excuse is a good one for an abortion and can’t stand the fact that some states may disagree with you. That is why previous pro-abortion groups got the feds to enforce their beliefs on all. As is asked of Christians all the time, what gives you the right to force your morals and beliefs on others?

    As for it being a meaningless gesture, that depends on how the Supreme Court handles it. If they refuse to hear any case brought by opponents to the law then this meaningless gesture opens the door for other states to enact the same law. If they hear it and find the issue to be one of states' rights then again the door is open for the states to enact certain laws.

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    Senior Member Zeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tiny Redneck town in Texas
    Posts
    2,054
    Some of the pro abortion folks obviously flunked Biology while in school.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

    It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #19  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Some of the pro abortion folks obviously flunked Biology while in school.
    Oh? Explain.







    *I was actually 2 tenths of a point shy of an A in college biology (the lowest grade I got that semester).
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #20  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,319
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    Oh? Explain.







    *I was actually 2 tenths of a point shy of an A in college biology (the lowest grade I got that semester).
    I just realized that you are saying that pro-lifers are being inconsistant in their views and you are doing this after admitting that you were being inconsistant in your views concerning the resurrection of Christ. You stated something to the effect of you had to take the absurd view point because the only rational option was contrary to your beliefs. Isn't that interesting.... What is good for the goose apparently isn't necessarily good for the gander.

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •