1. #1 You can't make this crap up 
    http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...2samsung1.html

A 14 year old girls was ARRESTED for refusing a teacher's demand that she stop texting in math class. She was charged with disorderly conduct. Thank God they were devoting their time to busting a serial texter rather than , I don't know, maybe busting somebody selling dope.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

The teacher's response should have been to confiscate the phone until after school, and the kid had to either pick the phone up in the principal's office or the kid's parent(s) should have to pick it up.

Where were the police when my 8th grade science teacher harrassed girls into giving him neckrubs during class? I took a B when I earned an A because I refused (I also sarcastically asked him how badly he really wanted to meet my dad's lawyer-he found poor girls to manipulate, instead). I complained to my parents, all the girls complained to the guidance counselor and nobody did anything about it until about 5 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    The teacher's response should have been to confiscate the phone until after school, and the kid had to either pick the phone up in the principal's office or the kid's parent(s) should have to pick it up. .
    Sadly, I can easily see the ACLU putting forth a lawsuit against such confiscations.
    OPEACHMENT NOW!!!

Stinger:
    "I was... ordered to drop my pants, bend over and spread my cheeks."
    --RagingInMiami achieving the DUmp's highest level of nirvana

This might piss off some folks, but I'd want to get rid of that teacher and any admin that went along with this. Don't get me wrong, I'd take the phone, maybe stomp on it on the floor, at least a detention for lying to the teacher as well as texting. But I'd bet every teacher in that school was pissed about this. Admin should have just taken out an ad in the paper saying they have no control over the students. And the only way they can get a student to obey a simple rule is to have them arrested. The teachers and admin in that school must be the laughing stock of the district. That's sure gonna make the other teacher's jobs easier.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    The teacher's response should have been to confiscate the phone until after school, and the kid had to either pick the phone up in the principal's office or the kid's parent(s) should have to pick it up.
    yep

Quote Originally Posted by jinxmchue View Post
    Sadly, I can easily see the ACLU putting forth a lawsuit against such confiscations.
    any Lib judge who awards the case should be tarred and feathered

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostThere View Post
    http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...2samsung1.html

A 14 year old girls was ARRESTED for refusing a teacher's demand that she stop texting in math class. She was charged with disorderly conduct. Thank God they were devoting their time to busting a serial texter rather than , I don't know, maybe busting somebody selling dope.
    Teen girls generally don't pack glocks...

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

My wife is a teacher, and her school has a "zero tolerance" policy on texting.

First time, the phone is taken away for the day.
    Second time, the phone is taken away for the semester.

rm -rf obama*

My school had a zero-tolerance policy on cell phones altogether. If it is out or goes off, it gets confiscated and a parent has to come to the school to pick it up. Of course, most teachers weren't draconian about confiscating phones, but that was the rule. I think the teacher should have just confiscated it on grounds of disturbing the class or something like that.
    "Because we're a great nation, our challenges seem complex; it will always be this way. But as long as we remember our first principals and believe in ourselves, the future will always be ours." -Reagan