Thread: Book Thread!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34
  1. #1 Book Thread! 
    Senior Member DarkScribe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sunshine State
    Posts
    787
    I wanted to ask a couple CUers here about an author but I figured I'd start a thread...

    I started reading an author I haven't read in YEARS (and I have four of their books, having previously read two others in the past), RIPPER by Michael Slade. Really like their stuff (Slade is actually a pseudonym for what is now a father/daughter writing team, from Canada), kinda gritty, raw, edgy psychological horror novels but intelligently done (no fluff stuff like James Patterson). I Googled Slade and found an official website and also a link to a Fangoria online interview from last week. They're doing a motion picture of Headhunter (the first Slade novel from the mid-80's) due out in 2009 and the new Slade book due out in September is called CRUCIFIED, and will be the first without the Detectives from the RCMP Special X unit. But the plot sounds very cool.

    Anyone else on here read Slade?
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,428
    I'll bet you and I have never read one book in common, in our entire lives.

    (on edit: No, I take that back. I have, in fact, read all of Lovecraft).
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member DarkScribe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sunshine State
    Posts
    787
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I'll bet you and I have never read one book in common, in our entire lives.

    (on edit: No, I take that back. I have, in fact, read all of Lovecraft).
    Possibly...now go buy an Edward Lee book!

    (About HPL...I have to admit I have read more of Poe than Lovecraft...but I think that the older I am the more I appreciate what he did for my genre than Poe...)
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,428
    Well, it's definitely not my genre. Of all the great supernatural writers, my absolute favorite is M.R. James.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member DarkScribe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sunshine State
    Posts
    787
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Well, it's definitely not my genre. Of all the great supernatural writers, my absolute favorite is M.R. James.
    To each his or her own. I DO read other things...recently read a James Hall mystery novel, UNDER COVER OF DAYLIGHT, the first Thorn novel. Also like Hiaasen, Tim Dorsey, and Randy White (all Florida mystery writers). I don't read much sci/fi-fantasy, but do like stuff by Stephen R. Donaldson and the original Dune novels by Frank Herbert, the original Conan books by Robert E. Howard. Some thrillers by David Morrell, James Rollins, Matthew Reilly, and of course Preston & Child.
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
    I wanted to ask a couple CUers here about an author but I figured I'd start a thread...

    I started reading an author I haven't read in YEARS (and I have four of their books, having previously read two others in the past), RIPPER by Michael Slade. Really like their stuff (Slade is actually a pseudonym for what is now a father/daughter writing team, from Canada), kinda gritty, raw, edgy psychological horror novels but intelligently done (no fluff stuff like James Patterson). I Googled Slade and found an official website and also a link to a Fangoria online interview from last week. They're doing a motion picture of Headhunter (the first Slade novel from the mid-80's) due out in 2009 and the new Slade book due out in September is called CRUCIFIED, and will be the first without the Detectives from the RCMP Special X unit. But the plot sounds very cool.

    Anyone else on here read Slade?
    Just about all of them and looking for the next one !They are my favorites starting with Ghoul .The plot of Ghoul was very much HP Lovecraftian l
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hartford, CT USA
    Posts
    2,024
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
    I wanted to ask a couple CUers here about an author but I figured I'd start a thread...

    I started reading an author I haven't read in YEARS (and I have four of their books, having previously read two others in the past), RIPPER by Michael Slade. Really like their stuff (Slade is actually a pseudonym for what is now a father/daughter writing team, from Canada), kinda gritty, raw, edgy psychological horror novels but intelligently done (no fluff stuff like James Patterson). I Googled Slade and found an official website and also a link to a Fangoria online interview from last week. They're doing a motion picture of Headhunter (the first Slade novel from the mid-80's) due out in 2009 and the new Slade book due out in September is called CRUCIFIED, and will be the first without the Detectives from the RCMP Special X unit. But the plot sounds very cool.

    Anyone else on here read Slade?
    Why are you wasting your time with horror novels when you could be outside performing scientific experiments?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member DarkScribe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sunshine State
    Posts
    787
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Why are you wasting your time with horror novels when you could be outside performing scientific experiments?
    Because I'm not a scientist...duh...:D
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member DarkScribe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sunshine State
    Posts
    787
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Just about all of them and looking for the next one !They are my favorites starting with Ghoul .The plot of Ghoul was very much HP Lovecraftian l
    Yeah, GHOUL was the first Slade novel I read (back when it first came out) and then I picked up HEADHUNTER. They have another novel (one I haven't read) that's also got a Lovecraft-esque tone to it, but cannot recall the title.
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hartford, CT USA
    Posts
    2,024
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
    Because I'm not a scientist...duh...:D
    Ah, but did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express and watch Fox News on the default channel (whatever the f that is) last night?
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •