Thread: Book Thread!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Ah, but did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express and watch Fox News on the default channel (whatever the f that is) last night?
    Point taken...
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
    Yeah, GHOUL was the first Slade novel I read (back when it first came out) and then I picked up HEADHUNTER. They have another novel (one I haven't read) that's also got a Lovecraft-esque tone to it, but cannot recall the title.
    In the book Ghoul the mother was insane and died in an asylum and the father was a pedophile beast whom the ghoul killed but his grandfather continued to provided for him .

Lovecrafts father was insane and died Lovecraft thereafter was raised by his mother, his two aunts and his grandfather.

The book you cannot recall is "Bed Of Nails"

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    In the book Ghoul the mother was insane and died in an asylum and the father was a pedophile beast whom the ghoul killed but his grandfather continued to provided for him .

Lovecrafts father was insane and died Lovecraft thereafter was raised by his mother, his two aunts and his grandfather.

The book you cannot recall is "Bed Of Nails"
    YES! Thanks, Meg. BoN is also partly set at the WHC (World Horror Con) as well. I may have to read that one soon.
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    I've run across his books somewhere but it must have been a while ago.

I'm currently reading Strike Force by Dale Brown. It involves Iran and blowing
    thing up. :D

I'm a Slade fan. Right now I'm slogging through Hell's Gate by Weber and Evans but I'm about ready to pass it on to Mr. Snaps. Too much magic. :(

Power CUer
    I think I may be an outlier here. I'm currently in the midst of "The History of the United States During the Administrations of Thomas Jefferson", by Henry Adams (published 1889-1891).

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I think I may be an outlier here. I'm currently in the midst of "The History of the United States During the Administrations of Thomas Jefferson", by Henry Adams (published 1889-1891).
    It's summer. I can't read anything serious until September - it's some kind of Federal regulation. :p

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I'm a Slade fan. Right now I'm slogging through Hell's Gate by Weber and Evans but I'm about ready to pass it on to Mr. Snaps. Too much magic. :(
    Working in a bookstore I am amazed by how much (and how BIG) those Weber/Evans books are...not my thing, genre-wise, but Weber himself has a huge back-list of titles.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    It's summer. I can't read anything serious until September - it's some kind of Federal regulation. :p
    I know - I can only read Trollope in summer, and Dickens in winter.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post

I am a fan of American history starting with the Civil and Revolutionary Wars.
    I'm interested in the events that led up to the wars ,the causes the little incidents ,the major outbreaks of both wars.In the events that led to the start of the war in Boston from the stupid things the British did to the players who were involved.

'Three Men of Boston' is a good book to understand the feelings of the times and the 'pull' loyalists to mother England and the passion of those advocating separation from her rule in the soon to be America !

The three men mentioned (Thomas Hutchinson, James Otis, and Samuel Adams)all had a role in the eventual war of separation from England
    !.