Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1 Galaxy has 'billions of Earths' 
    Senior Member tacitus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    724
    There could be one hundred billion Earth-like planets in our galaxy, a US conference has heard.

    So far, telescopes have been able to detect just over 300 planets outside our Solar System.
    Very few of these would be capable of supporting life, however. Most are gas giants like our Jupiter, and many orbit so close to their parent stars that any microbes would have to survive roasting temperatures.

    article

    So where are these 'billons of earths'? No one knows because they haven't found any yet. They are basing their hypothesis on conjecture nothing more.
    "If every poor man is to come here and start requesting money for all his children, the applicants will never be satisfied and the nation's finances will collapse." Emperor Tiberius: Tacitus:Annals




    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Why would there be so many planets that could not support life. And who is to say it doesn't support a life of some sort? Seems like a big waste of planets.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    548
    The number of planets we can see are only the tiniest fraction of a percent of what's out there. Just because we haven't seen any yet, doesn't mean that they aren't there. Our current technology doesn't allow us to see much detail of any kind in nearby stars.
    Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school.

    --Albert Einstein
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,435
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    The number of planets we can see are only the tiniest fraction of a percent of what's out there. Just because we haven't seen any yet, doesn't mean that they aren't there. Our current technology doesn't allow us to see much detail of any kind in nearby stars.
    By that same token, it doesn't mean that they are any either. There are about 100 billion stars in the Milky Way and of that 100 billion how many are in the exactly right position to maintain life. Keep in mind that life on Earth is possible because it is precisely balanced between being to close and to far away from the Sun. The moon is large enough to absorb the space debris bombardment the early Earth experienced. The list of circumstances that case the Earth to be compatible for life is huge. Some scientists think that the odds of Earth being so perfectly situated are a billion to one. If that value is in the ball park, then statics show that perhaps there as few as 1000 planets in the galaxy situated for life. It all depends on which scientist you ask and how optimistic they are. The only truthful answer that they can give; if they are really being honest is that they just don't know.

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    By that same token, it doesn't mean that they are any either. There are about 100 billion stars in the Milky Way and of that 100 billion how many are in the exactly right position to maintain life. Keep in mind that life on Earth is possible because it is precisely balanced between being to close and to far away from the Sun. The moon is large enough to absorb the space debris bombardment the early Earth experienced. The list of circumstances that case the Earth to be compatible for life is huge. Some scientists think that the odds of Earth being so perfectly situated are a billion to one. If that value is in the ball park, then statics show that perhaps there as few as 1000 planets in the galaxy situated for life. It all depends on which scientist you ask and how optimistic they are. The only truthful answer that they can give; if they are really being honest is that they just don't know.
    Of course no one knows. I tend to be optimistic when this issue comes up. It would be an amazing waste of space if we were the only life in the galaxy or universe.
    Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school.

    --Albert Einstein
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,435
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    Of course no one knows. I tend to be optimistic when this issue comes up. It would be an amazing waste of space if we were the only life in the galaxy or universe.
    Looking at this from a Christian perspective, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if God created other intelligent life else where. I also I suspect the reason He made space so vast was to keep us finding each other and going to war. God is smart like that :)

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member Mythic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    352
    I think it is highly likely that there is life somewhere in the universe. Heck, they found those fossilized bacteria on Mars! Also, who is to say that there is no life on planets that are hot? We only know of life on earth, maybe other creatures live in more extreme climates. Maybe they don't need water or Oxygen. All we can do is guess, but I cannot fathom that out of the huge infinite space of the universe Earth is the only planet with any life.
    "Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives."
    -Ronald Reagan

    Life is a story; if you stay on the same page forever you will never finish it.
    "There are days you are the pigeon and days you are the statue."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,435
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythic View Post
    I think it is highly likely that there is life somewhere in the universe. Heck, they found those fossilized bacteria on Mars! Also, who is to say that there is no life on planets that are hot? We only know of life on earth, maybe other creatures live in more extreme climates. Maybe they don't need water or Oxygen. All we can do is guess, but I cannot fathom that out of the huge infinite space of the universe Earth is the only planet with any life.
    Life with out oyxgen I can understand. Plants don't require oyxgen. Water, however, is a different matter. Still, anything is possible. I saw an interesting show on silicon based life. Life based on silicon would move so slowly that we might not even recognize it as life. It would also lead to a crystaline form of life. Trees and plants that appeared to be crystaline rock formations.

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member CorwinK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Jacksonville FL
    Posts
    194
    I just find it hard to believe that the good lord created all this (the galaxy...universe as a whole) and then made one tiny (relatively speaking that is) planet to put life as we know it on. Then again thats just my opinion.
    “The characteristic of genuine heroism is its persistency. All men have wandering impulses, fits and starts of generosity. But when you have resolved to be great, abide by yourself, and do not weakly try to reconcile yourself with the world. The heroic cannot be the common, nor the common the heroic.”
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

    Freedom is the natural yearning of the human sprit as we were endowed by our creator.
    Rush Limbaugh CPAC 09
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Senior Member Troll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Not Amused
    Posts
    852
    Quote Originally Posted by tacitus View Post
    So where are these 'billons of earths'?
    Presumably, they're approximately 96 million miles away from their parent stars. However, looking at them in any meaningful sense with today's technology is all but impossible. I believe I've heard the analogy of trying to pick out one pixel on your computer monitor from a mile away. I'm of the opinion that the universe is up to its eyeballs in Earth-like planets.
    Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •