Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 5 Ways People Are Trying to Save the World (That Don't Work) 
    Terribly sad that we have to go to CRACKED to get the straight deal on this crap.

#5. Buying Organically Grown Food

Why People Do It:

Seems like a no-brainer. Organic food eliminates the use of chemical fertilizers, hormones and pesticides. Getting rid of all those nasty chemicals means healthier foods and less contamination to the planet.

And anything that's organic or natural has to be better for you, right? It's like you're eating the opposite of Twinkies here.

Why They Shouldn't:

So what's the problem with eating healthier food and saving the Earth? Nothing, except that the food may not be any healthier. And that's even if you can afford the (much) higher prices. Oh, and the impact on the planet may actually be worse.

The funny thing about those chemical fertilizers and pesticides is that they were invented for a reason, and that's to increase food production. Turns out organic farming is pretty damn inefficient. Holding hands and thinking peaceful thoughts does dick all against pests that want to eat your crops and weeds that want to choke them out. The current acre of farmland produces 200 percent more wheat than it did 70 years ago. The same goes for meat and poultry. The chemicals did that for us.

Take them away, and suddenly you're getting less food per acre of land. According to some guy who won a Nobel Prize, we could feed 4 billion people if we went all organic. This sounds great except maybe to the 2.5 billion people who would be left without anything to eat.

Despite all the claims that chemicals used in farming are bad for us, it turns out cancer rates have dropped 15 percent since farmers began using chemicals. How is that possible? Well it's mainly due to people being able to afford more fruits and vegetables, because the chemicals allow more to be grown. That's one reason the average life expectancy in the US went up by almost 10 years between 1950 and 2000.

As for the environment, it turns out organic farming has its own issues. Because it is much less efficient, there is actually a shortage of organic food available. This leads to people having the food shipped in from much further away. We're no scientists, but we think that doing things like shipping organic milk 900 miles over the highway in a truck belching diesel fumes is probably canceling out any environmental benefits you might have gained from going organic.

CONTINUED - with links . . . .
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

The organic farming example in the OP was worth the price of admission. :D

Kick.

Holding hands and thinking peaceful thoughts does dick all against pests
    ROFL!!!
    OPEACHMENT NOW!!!

Stinger:
    "I was... ordered to drop my pants, bend over and spread my cheeks."
    --RagingInMiami achieving the DUmp's highest level of nirvana

Well written to say the least :)

Organic gardening is way efficient because almost all your household food waste can go straight back into the garden. Also, you can spare the time to pick bugs off plants and do a little weeding. As an industry, it's absurd.

The regulations that apply to organic produce are also absurd. People believe (wrongly) that in order to be called "organic", food must be free of pesticides, antibiotics, and hormones. Not so much. The regs just limit the types and levels of these compounds and specify time periods when they can't be used. You want organic eggs?" You better buy your own chicken.

Another problem with the organic concept is that most people have a completely romantic view of how this all works. On the cellular level, chemicals are chemicals. There is nothing inherently "pure" about getting fertilizer from the back end of a cow versus a 55 gallon drum. Small organic operations are beneficial in terms of sustainability, employment, and biodiversity. They aren't efficient, they don't produce purer foods, and eating organic will not prevent illness, death, or damnation.

Do it at home because it's a good hobby. Buy it locally because makes work for people. ;)

I'd like to point out that all food stuffs not made of plastic . . . . .

ARE FREEK'N ORGANIC!!

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    I'd like to point out that all food stuffs not made of plastic . . . . .

ARE FREEK'N ORGANIC!!

Technically, plastics are organic. That hydrocarbon...she do get around. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Technically, plastics are organic. That hydrocarbon...she do get around. ;)
    :mad: You get my point :p

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    :mad: You get my point :p
    Well, sure. I just wanted to make sure that everybody knows that I didn't take all that organic chem for nothing. :D

I might add that getting college chicks loaded in bars and then tricking them into signing photo releases doesn't seem to be working either.

But that doesn't mean I'm going to give up on saving the Planet that way!

We might just be one photo spread away from stopping global warming! In fact I ought to get a Nobel Prize
    because at least I'm TRYING!