Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Isolated Mountain Range in Eastern Nevada
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Sex for Lent, you mean. How does that impact your chocolate intake? I mean giving up the decorative, ediblble kind?
    NO, I had it right the first time, I gave up Lent for sex....
    chocolate wasn't even considered...that is a necessity for life, both mine and those around me
    I smile because I don't know what the heck is going on.

I give up church for lent.
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post

Lent in a Baptist Church?

When I first announced that we would be observing Lent at CrossRoad Church it created quite a stir amongst several members and frequent attenders. One well-meaning, but hopelessly sarcastic, friend even asked me if we were giving up being Baptist for Lent! For others it was no joking matter. There was concern on their part that we were doing something that identified us with the Roman Catholic Church and that was unhealthy. Today, as we prepare to kick off our observance of Lent, I thought I would make an effort to quell some of our members' fears and encourage all of you to use this time to seek a closer relationship with God as we prepare for Easter.

Isn't Lent a Roman Catholic thing?

The answer to this question is Yes and No. Yes, Roman Catholics observe Lent, but so do Presbyterians, Methodists, Anglicans, and Lutherans. Just because the Roman Catholic Church (RCC) observes Lent, however, does not mean that we are somehow sacrificing the gospel or identifying with the RCC with our observance. Lent, as a church observance, actually preceded the formation of the RCC by at least 200 years.........more

The Who, What, When, and Where of Lent .

When Lent first began to be observed in the church, it was common practice to baptize new Christians once a year. The baptisms took place on Easter. All new Christians were discipled (catechized) from the time they trusted in Christ until Easter when they were Baptized. The early churches, in an effort to help these young Christians grasp the significance of both their baptism and Easter celebrations, required them to fast for forty hours prior to their baptism. The fast was then broken after their baptism when the church celebrated its Easter feast. Gradually the entire church began to observe Lent as a way to prepare for their church's Easter celebrations. The length of time gradually was extended from forty hours to forty days
    ...................more

But Why Lent?

http://bontsblog.blogspot.com/2007/0...st-church.html
    Excellent, Moo.

Lent isn't a popish throw-back. Lent is a time for searching our minds about Christian discipline and repentance. Christ was big on the repenting thing. Unlike contemporary Christian leaders, Christ counseled his followers to be attentive to prayer and fasting. Not because they were evil (although some might have been) but because it's a discipline that carries over to ordinary life.

Enough of all that!

Let's get to the non-bacon recipes!

I am roman catholic and I give up meat on Fridays.
    Which is not hard as I usually make grilled cheese sandwhiches, PB & J, lentil soups, fried tilapia, tuna salad sandwhich or tuna salad with pasta...pizza...the options are endless.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    interesting . . . I tend to give up all drinks except water for the 40 days of lent. It sucks. It's hard. I usually feel awesome after - and chug a beer as soon as the fast is lifted!
    That's why I don't do that. The former rector of our church stressed that Lenten duty should be something that could really alter your behavior in an ongoing way, in order to be meaningful. Giving up wine or beer just to hit it full force again when the "deadline" is reached isn't life changing. One year I did give up hard liquor, and consequently I have never drunk it since as regularly as I did before.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

This year I'm going to try to make more international type vegan dishes (I'm orthodox, so like Ginger said, no meat, no dairy, no eggs, no fish, no alcohol, and no oil, but I tend to be a bit lenient about the oil in things like Hummus). I'll let you all know how it goes, and post the good recipes on here :)

I tend to eat a lot of Oatmeal for breakfast during Lent, and I'll admit to using non-dairy creamer :p

My priest really emphasizes that Lent is not just about fasting, it is about spending the time drawing closer to God with prayer, almsgiving, as well as fasting. The fast should also be a fast from sinful behavior, so if you are keeping the fast from food, but you continue to sin frequently and knowingly, then you aren't really keeping the fast. It should be a time of self reflection to find the parts of our lives that are keeping us separated from God.

Power CUer
    To answer the food question, I have a couple of good monastery cookbooks which I'll be using quite a bit for the next forty or so days. I normally keep my weight under control, but I want to make a concentrated effort to lose ten pounds during Lent by being more thoughtful about what I'm eating.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

For some reason I seem to always end up on South Beach at Lent. Fridays get difficult, as I hate tuna. My eggplant bake works pretty well, though.

1 medium sized eggplant
    1 small onion
    1/3 jar roasted red peppers
    1 jar no-sugar added marinara sauce (I used Trader Joe’s Organic)
    1/3 package Mozzarrella cheese
    ½ small package ricotta cheese
    garlic
    olive oil

Slice eggplant, brush with olive oil and bake on a cookie sheet in oven, app. 5 minutes per side
    Slice onion and carmelize (with garlic if you like garlic)
    Layer the eggplant, onions, red peppers, cheeses and marinara sauce in small casserole dish
    Bake for approximately 45 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    That's why I don't do that. The former rector of our church stressed that Lenten duty should be something that could really alter your behavior in an ongoing way, in order to be meaningful. Giving up wine or beer just to hit it full force again when the "deadline" is reached isn't life changing. One year I did give up hard liquor, and consequently I have never drunk it since as regularly as I did before.
    I disagree. Lent is not about behavioral modification - giving up something for lent is about making a sacrifice - to deny yourself some creature comfort so as to better relate to the sacrifice which Christ made. if it results in some lasting change - so be it - but that should not be your motivation going in. I try to find something to give up that will be a serious sacrifice but that will not make me want to kill people. One year I gave up the internet - one year I gave up meat completely - I've done the water thing a few times - one year the Mrs and I even gave up sex for lent . . . . let me tell you - that was HARD! In more ways than one!! :D
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Power CUer
    Tonight I'm cutting up an eggplant for a good vegetarian chili, with onions, peppers, and beans. A little shredded cheddar on top doesn't hurt either, although I will probably give up the dollop of sour cream on top as a nod to seasonal deprivation. The Silver Palate's vegetarian chili recipe is the one I usually use.