Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    I disagree. Lent is not about behavioral modification - giving up something for lent is about making a sacrifice - to deny yourself some creature comfort so as to better relate to the sacrifice which Christ made. if it results in some lasting change - so be it - but that should not be your motivation going in. I try to find something to give up that will be a serious sacrifice but that will not make me want to kill people. One year I gave up the internet - one year I gave up meat completely - I've done the water thing a few times - one year the Mrs and I even gave up sex for lent . . . . let me tell you - that was HARD! In more ways than one!! :D
    It is making a sacrifice, but if you can maintain being a "better" person, that's all to the good and makes the sacrifice more meaningful. Otherwise, you're just sitting in the 'penalty box' counting the days until you can drink or have stuffed-crust pizza again. That's my opinion of course, and my practice.

I've given up meat with no problem, and to this day we have more vegetarian and fish dishes during the week than we did before. I suggested giving up sex for Lent one year, but my husband is Jewish and doesn't understand all the fine points of Lent; he asked if Christians get "extra points" for punishing others, as well. :p
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    To answer the food question, I have a couple of good monastery cookbooks which I'll be using quite a bit for the next forty or so days.
    Do you have the one on soup? I have that one and it gets quite a workout during Lent. We're eating out tonight but I'll be firing up the crockpot for soup tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    I disagree. Lent is not about behavioral modification - giving up something for lent is about making a sacrifice - to deny yourself some creature comfort so as to better relate to the sacrifice which Christ made. if it results in some lasting change - so be it - but that should not be your motivation going in. I try to find something to give up that will be a serious sacrifice but that will not make me want to kill people. One year I gave up the internet - one year I gave up meat completely - I've done the water thing a few times - one year the Mrs and I even gave up sex for lent . . . . let me tell you - that was HARD! In more ways than one!! :D
    But it is not really denying yourself if you give up something temporarily. Linda is right. Lent is about changing your life and drawing closer to God.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Do you have the one on soup? I have that one and it gets quite a workout during Lent. We're eating out tonight but I'll be firing up the crockpot for soup tomorrow.
    Not specifically, although both have soup recipes. They are Fr. Victor d'Avila-Tourrette's "From a Monastery Kitchen" and "Simplicity from a Monastery Kitchen". I cheat on soups; when he calls for water I use my own homemade stock instead.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Not specifically, although both have soup recipes. They are Fr. Victor d'Avila-Tourrette's "From a Monastery Kitchen" and "Simplicity from a Monastery Kitchen". I cheat on soups; when he calls for water I use my own homemade stock instead.
    This one is called "Twelve Months of Monastery Soups" by Victor D'Avila-Latourrette. Brother Vic is pretty into the whole stock-making thing.

It is making a sacrifice, but if you can maintain being a "better" person, that's all to the good and makes the sacrifice more meaningful. Otherwise, you're just sitting in the 'penalty box' counting the days until you can drink or have stuffed-crust pizza again. That's my opinion of course, and my practice.

I've given up meat with no problem, and to this day we have more vegetarian and fish dishes during the week than we did before. I suggested giving up sex for Lent one year, but my husband is Jewish and doesn't understand all the fine points of Lent; he asked if Christians get "extra points" for punishing others, as well. :p
    Linda - making yourself a better person is something you are supposed to be doing all year round. Lent is going that extra mile and WILLINGLY making that little bit of an extra sacrifice - to both be better able to relate to the suffering and sacrifice of Christ - and to make ourselves that much more conscious of how short we come to being what we should be.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    But it is not really denying yourself if you give up something temporarily. Linda is right. Lent is about changing your life and drawing closer to God.
    no sir. Everyday is about changing your life and drawing closer to God. Lent is about going above and beyond.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    This one is called "Twelve Months of Monastery Soups" by Victor D'Avila-Latourrette. Brother Vic is pretty into the whole stock-making thing.
    Same author as my two. Looks like he's cornered the Priest Cookbook niche.

Power CUer
    PoliCon, I said it was "my opinion and my practice". You're free to regard it differently, of course. Your posts are rather dogmatic. Oh, wait - you may be Catholic. ;)

PoliCon, I said it was "my opinion and my practice". You're free to regard it differently, of course. Your posts are rather dogmatic. Oh, wait - you may be Catholic. ;)
    Is it time for the Anglicans to get drunk yet? :p