Thread: District of Columbia v. Heller

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rjas77 View Post
    What part of the Second Amendment do those who dessented not understand?
    I know the Constitution uses a lot of big words and can be a bit hard to read in places. However,

...the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
    I mean was this ever really open for debate?
    Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around.

So does this FINALLY mean that the good, law abiding people of D.C. can legally have a firearm in their possession?
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    I know the Constitution uses a lot of big words and can be a bit hard to read in places. However,

I mean was this ever really open for debate?
    Troll, what I think is just as confusing.....ever notice how so many leftists love to advocate how they're "fighting" for 1st Ammendment Rights, yet when the 2nd Ammendment comes into question they dismiss us it as Non-Essential and us who fight for the 2nd Ammendment as intolerant rednecks who're "Bitter, clinging to Guns and Religion"?:D

The NRA said Shitcago is next, not sure where the folks affiliated with the CATO institute are going next.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post
    The opinion was written by Scalia.

The decision was split 5-4.

The DC gun ban has been rejected.

The Supreme Court has affirmed the individual right to bear arms. Thanks for giving us a scare Scalia (opinions are issued in order of seniority, Alito had the first, Scalia had the second, leaving Scalia, Roberts, or Stevens to author Heller).

... in other news the Millionaire's Amendment (Davis v. FEC), which required certain reporting of spending if an individual desired to spend more than $350,000 of his own money in a political campaign, was struck down as unconstitutional. The ruling was 5-4 along ideological grounds (Kennedy joined Scalia, Alito, Thomas, and Roberts in supporting free speech).
    Who voted against the second ammendment as written ?Let me guess ,Ginsberg,Souter,Stevens,Kennedy ?

Patent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Who voted against the second ammendment as written ?Let me guess ,Ginsberg,Souter,Stevens,Kennedy ?
    Ginsburg, Souter, Stevens, Breyer.

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Apparently, Kennedy voted with the majority. The coin must've come up heads.

This leads to an interesting series of decisions. On the one hand, the states cannot execute child rapists, on the other hand, individuals can own firearms. Obviously, if you read between the lines, there's an implied right for individuals to shoot child rapists. :D
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Apparently, Kennedy voted with the majority. The coin must've come up heads.

This leads to an interesting series of decisions. On the one hand, the states cannot execute child rapists, on the other hand, individuals can own firearms. Obviously, if you read between the lines, there's an implied right for individuals to shoot child rapists. :D
    I like your logic, Sir. Be more then happy to supply the ammunition.;) Federal Premiums should do the trick.:D

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post
    Ginsburg, Souter, Stevens, Breyer.
    Whada you know I expected Kennedy .

Resident Grump
    So does this FINALLY mean that the good, law abiding people of D.C. can legally have a firearm in their possession?
    From this, the answer is yes. This strengthens the case here as well, now that this question has been well and truly answered.I and a lot of others were never happy with the gun laws here, and maybe this will help us overturn them eventually.

I am happy for you all..and wish we had the same rights.