Thread: New Republic 'Modest' Proposal: Sen. Michelle Or Sen. Mother-in-law

1. #1 New Republic 'Modest' Proposal: Sen. Michelle Or Sen. Mother-in-law 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Keep in mind this is supposed to be a "modest," not laughable, proposal by the New Republic: replace Roland Burris in the U.S. Senate with Michelle Obama. And if she is not available, then send Barack Obama's mother-in-law to the Senate. I kid you not. Stand by for yet the latest chapter in Obama worship as you read this "modest" proposal by Jason Zengerle of the New Republic:

Roland Burris is obviously going to put "U.S. Senator" on his mausoleum, but I can think of another entry that might belong there, as well: "Destroyer of the Illinois Democratic Party."

Here's the dilemma Burris has created for his fellow Illinois Dems by refusing to resign. Burris not only denies the state's Democratic Governor Pat Quinn the power to appoint another Democrat to serve out the Senate term until a special election can be held in 2010; his continued presence in the Senate threatens to cast a cloud over those elections and hurt the Demcorats' chances in them. So why not just effectively remove Burris from office by having a special election this spring? Because such a move might very well hand the seat to the GOP, since the Republicans have one obvious candidate in Mark Kirk to rally around, and the Democrats have a slew of them--ranging from Jan Schakowsky to Danny Davis to Jesse White--who might split the vote. (Which is presumably why Illinois Dems appear reluctant to hold a special election.) In other words, the Dems will have a hard time winning with Burris in the Senate and a hard time winning without him there.snip

Unless Illinois Democrats can find one candidate for an '09 special election who would unite the party and trounce Kirk. And, actually, I can think of one Illinois Dem who could do just that: Michelle Obama. She has a 49 percent approval rating (paired with just a 5 percent disapproval rating) and is almost certainly even more popular in her home state. More importantly, at a time when the federal government is going to be showering money on the states, she could credibly argue to Illinois voters that they'd certainly get their share.

http://blogs.tnr.com/tnr/blogs/the_p...s-problem.aspx

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/p-j-gla...sen-mother-law

Burris needs to stay right where he is. The left wants him t o resign because they KNOW he will not make it through the coming election. :) He's no worse than Dodd or Rangol - why should he be forced to resign when a guy caught with bribe money in his freezer was not?
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Michelle is busy being first lady and raising the kids. I don't think she's going to run for the senate, at least as long as her husband is President. Her mother came to Washington to help her, so she probably isn't going to run for the senate, either.

I really don't know much about who all could run in Illinois, in either party, to challenge Burris.